Linden Homes CAN be well decorated!

hollowgirl78

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Very nicely done!

I don't find it all that surprising. Mesh and sculpts have made it much easier to landscape and decorate on a relatively low prim/LI budget. My land can support 333 LI total, and I have a furnished and landscaped tropical island, jetty and seaplane at ocean level. A few thousand metres up I have a couple of floating cloud islands connected by a wooden bridge, with ruins, trees and a campfire. Beyond that I have a build platform with a pose stand and build tools. I still have 49 LI spare.

No doubt there are prim-scroungers who could top that.

Yes , mesh has made it way easier. I had a beautiful parcel with 1218 prims allowance. 2 skyboxes for building and breeding fennux, a beach house with lovely landscaping and fully decorated and I still had about 400 to spare. Unfortunately this is the first month I couldn't afford the tier so I am back to my little linden home. I don't mind it so much but I was scared I couldn't decorate it and have it look nice. I am glad I figured it out!

hollowgirl78 wrote:

For those who believe that a linden home is a waste, and you couldn't possibly decorate it to look nice on only 117 prims, I present to you "Casa De Surly" 

Not shown is the 24 prim greedy table hot tub I have outside. Also, I still have 12 prims to spare for unpacking boxes and such.

Wonderful job, Hollowgirl :)  I did one for my daughter when she came into SL, it was fun to find low prim things to make it look like a home for her :)

Dadiella wrote:

IMO they need to update the Linden Homes themselves.  The design looks great, but it really shows the age of the linden home's design.

That is kind of the point though.

They looked outdated the day they went live - and this was somewhat on purpose.

Linden Homes are meant to get you into a home, and then let you enjoy the fun of decorating and having friends over - and in time the hope is that you will want more, and put more money into something more advanced.

You can do an amazing job now decorating them - and that somewhat slows the 'desire' to get the heck out of one of them... :)

But I doubt Linden Lab minds this - as the business model seems to be shifting over to microtransactions instead of land - getting us to keep buying more L$ to spend on marketplace. :)

These days you only "need" to move off the linden home if you desire some planned community or a lot of outside land / grand house or something.

Or if you're a merchant and your business model calls for an inworld showroom.

• 1 month later...

I have to very much disagree here.

I am new and I have a basic Linden home, the Hobbit-hole look.

It has 117 Prims max. I have one cuddle chair, two seat pillows on the floor, 3 fairies on the front porch, and a box and have only a small amt of prims remaining.

Its sparce!

I look forward to learning what a Mesh is and if I can use it because my dreams of owning a home in SL and decorating it are so far dashed.

:(

AlfieS0768 wrote:

I look forward to learning what a Mesh is and if I can use it because my dreams of owning a home in SL and decorating it are so far dashed.

Mesh objects are modeled in external programs and imported into Second Life.

So too are Sculpty objects - but they were a special kind of way of modeling things... and while you will see them around SL still, they're mostly phasing out (they still work well for some special situations like extra giant trees).

Prim objects... are modeled inside of Second Life.

Sculpties and Prims can be told apart from Mesh by editing something and looking at the outline:

NotMeshAndMesh.jpg

Ignore the blue color there... the yellow and blue just tells you the 'root' part of an object - blue shows up when things are linked to something, and the thing everything is linked to is yellow.

The one above on the left is a sculpty by the way. Sculpty can be told apart from prims by it being able to have more complex shapes, but it tends to have 'rough' or rounded edges.

Sculpty and Prim when edited get a sort of blurry edge, mesh has that sharp edge when edited.

You'll be able to tell them apart by just looking after being around for a while... once you get used to their differences, it seems obvious.

Mesh... uses up more prims the bigger you size it, and less the smaller you size it. Sculpty objects always use 1 prim "per item" - but if you link 3 together... that is 3 prims. Link 3 mesh items together and it might be 1 to... a whole lot...

There's more to it than that though - there are tricks to making things cost less, or goofing them up and making them cost more...

And there are even tricks to modeling mesh and sculpty inside of Second Life... so the above is just the "usual" situation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.