Life 2.0 movie recommended?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like any documentary, it chooses the eccentric edge-cases as its subjects. So as a representation of the usual business of SL, it fails spectacularly. That said, I recognised some of the 'types' I meet within SL: Mr & Miss 'looking for love', Ms 'make my fortune' and Mr 'cause some trouble'. All of them are dealing with problems caused by SL at some level or another. One in particular seems to be truly struggling with addiction.

Should you rent it? If 100 mins sounds like a long movie to you, you'll probably be bored. It's typical documentary fare and not terribly visually interesting, unless over-the-shoulder shots of computer screens are your thing. As for the on-grid footage: it was released in 2010 but a lot of it looks like SL circa-2006. It has very little positive to say about SL. It didn't exactly bore me, but it said nothing about SL that I hadn't seen covered several times before.

Kelli May wrote:

Like any documentary, it chooses the eccentric edge-cases as its subjects. So as a representation of the usual business of SL, it fails spectacularly.

It isn't about SL, it's about online addiction. SL is just the vehicle. So, of course they chose eccentric edge-cases.

Also, the number of eccentric edge-cases make them not so edge-case. Witness, here and SLU. Compared to the total number of people who tried SL, their numbers may be low, but gathered in one (or two) places, you find there are quite a few people who take their SL persona very seriously. Moreso on SLU than here, they loosen up a bit when they are with friends, but there's an interesting story to be told about constructed personas, sometimes quite incongruent, that people don't like to have challenged. They're more interesting out of SL than in.

thank you friends. I think I'll skip it since it sounds like it puts an emphasis on the negative aspects, but addiction and other player traits certainly apply to more violent games. I hoped the movie would be an example that I could show off to a few people who think sharing cliches on FB is all there is to do.

This is a post i made in an older  Life 2.0 thread ,so i'm just gonna paste it here...

======================================================

Here is another good one called

it say's German HD but it's just subtitled in German.

the video itself is in english.

and this one on hulu When Strangers Click

it's 5 different stories about people meeting online..and the last one is about second life..

the last story in this one is one of my favorites of them all as far as people meeting and awesome things happening in their lives..

it's  really my favorite ..can't say it enough with how much they gained by knowing each other and all of it from meeting in this  virtual world right here ..

=)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

and this one on hulu

it's 5 different stories about people meeting online..and the last one is about second life..

the last story in this one is one of my favorites of them all as far as people meeting and awesome things happening in their lives..

it's  really my favorite ..can't say it enough with how much they gained by knowing each other and all of it from meeting in this  virtual world right here ..

=)

I had not seen that one -- really good!  And altho from 2010, SL doesnt look like crap.  Very likeable ppl with a good story. Wonder now what became of them.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

and this one on hulu

=)

I had not seen that one -- really good!  And altho from 2010, SL doesnt look like crap.  Very likeable ppl with a good story.
Wonder now what became of them.

They probably got divorced when the woman found her husband messing around with another woman in SL :)

Sorry. I recently saw a case of a British couple who met and married in SL and then married in RL, only to be divorced when she caught him 'playing' with another woman in SL.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

This is a post i made in an older  Life 2.0 thread ,so i'm just gonna paste it here...

the video itself is

I couldnt watch 'When Strangers Click'  cause (hylu) only  available in USA  

Im still watching Login 2 Life (up to ship/lightening scene)....its good documentary.

Found this  on Oprah   

(1:40:55)

CheriColette wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

the video itself is

I couldnt watch 'When Strangers Click'  cause (hylu) only  available in USA  

Im still watching Login 2 Life (up to ship/lightening scene)....its good documentary.

Found this  on Oprah   
   (1:40:55)

see if maybe this link will work..

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/when_strangers_click_five_stories_from_the_internet

This is the guy that was in it and this is after the documentary where he came on treet tv and did an interview ,as well as the guy that came up with the documentary....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.