Land Security Question(s)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do i set a "days old" restriction on a homestead. Such as, "you must be at least 3 days old...", etc. Do I HAVE to "Deed" the land to the group in order for group managers and different group roles to have their abilities? I've been told that you must "Deed" it, or the group abilities mean nothing. Some said "Setting" the group, rather than "Deeding", does the trick just the same. Is it a MUST that i have a NC giver that gives visitors rules, requirements, etc. every time they come? Or is putting a rules and requirements at the entrance fine?

As far as I know there is no ability to restrict land by avatar age. To do that you need to use a scripted device - a security orb that has an age feature. I know they exist but have no idea what brands as I find the idea of doing this distasteful. Its out there though - search marketplace and I'm sure one will turn up.

On rules cards and such - there is no required system for this. etiquette varies. I tend to prefer just having a 'click this for the rules' sign. But if you have some heavy handed restrictions you'll want to pass something out, AND make the landing spot isolated (like a skybox with a teleporter down for example).

I have to agree with you. As far as MY taste goes, I HATE NC givers with a passion, and the age restriction is rather tasteless. We know some have alts or even just new accounts to start fresh, so restricting them is kind of rude, in my opinion. But, I have heard that it keeps things "safer", from griefers and whatnot. And the NC givers... Are just simply annoying to me. Every time you pop in, you get the same 6 pop-ups, and the only way to stop it is ignore the giver. Which in turn, mutes the person. But I understand that if their are "big" rules, that it would be wise to give at least one NC. For those who want to use the "oh, I didn't see the rules" excuse. I do like the idea of click to give though. I also agree with your landing point advice. I'm actually setting that up right now. Only thing i do not know how to do, is separate a skybox from the land. For instance, they cannot TP in unless they join the group, even tho the skybox is on the same parcel, just up high. I may just have to make a small parcel for landing, then put a skybox on that, so that way, it has its own rules. Idk lol. I'm new to all this. Hurts my head... lol

A far as I know, if they are estate managers, they will have those abilities no matter what the land is set to. I'm a estate manager and I have them. Remember, I'm talking about the region managers list NOT the about land window. Also, keep in mind WHO you let have these controls, I have seen people get locked out by someone with a grudge. This also depends on if you are the true owner of the region or are renting the region with full estate rights. You can't get locked out if your the true owner. 

If you need help IM me inworld and I'll come help ya :) 

sweetone14 wrote:

Does this only apply to "about land" options? Meaning, if I only "Set" the group to the land, can my managers still kick people, edit ban list, etc.?

Depending what all "etc" may entail, the usual solution is to have a scripted device owned by the parcel owner that other authorized parties can use.

There's the scripting issue of 'give you one card' versus 'give you a card everytime you drop in'

The first one requires keeping a list of who've you've given one too - which means your script grows over time to become a beast, just to remember some 3274 different people that have dropped by.

That's why my current preference is something that spams a short line of chat at you: click the rules sign to get the rules, click this link to join our group: [groupname as link].

- Its much less annoying to have my chat spammed with a 2-3 line info blurb everytime I arrive than to have popups spamming me.

I prefer rules in a notecard over a texture on a sign because textures can sometimes take way too long to load, and people can keep the rules notecard with them for later reference (I often sort places in my landmarks by what types of avatars are welcome there, as I switch between neko and furry often).

I would also recommend people keep their rules super short and direct. Put detailed explainations about your venue in a separate info notecard people can get, if they want it, by clicking a different nearby sign.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.