N/A

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok...first, since you bought is it usable where you bought it? Next, never give permissions for anything to take your L unless you know exactly what it is, like rezzing out vendors as a merchant. If you feel it was a hack/fraud, file a support ticket with the pertinent info from your transaction record. LL can trace the money and usually get it back for you. That's part of the reason it now takes the time it does to get money out of SL.

DemitriusSinn wrote:

So i was shopping around a few minutes ago at a favorite store and come across an inventory offer "Gift Card". Not fully awake yet i blindly accept and give it account acess (Why i did it i don't know, i had a bad feeling about it to start with.) and sless than two seconds later i'm down to about 30L$. How can i deny this script permission to swipe my L$ the next time i buy it? 

Can you clarify exactly what happenned because what you stated here doesn't quite fit with the way buying and debit permissions work in SL?  I'm trying to understand exactly what went "wrong."

Did you wear or rez this object, etc, etc?

debit warning.png

DemitriusSinn wrote:

I got offered the object by a random user at the store i was, accepted it (i don't think it attached to me), they left the sim and my i got repeated messages in my inbox about failed payment to the resident until it began to go through and i "paid" them almost all of my L$ (i only have 34$L left now).  A few minutes after i posted this i got a second offer for another "gift card, but i've learned my lesson with that.

As Sassy pointed out, the object would either have needed to have been worn or rezzed and at that point you should have gotten this warning or something similar.

llTransferLindenDollars is a legitimate and necesary function but sadly can be abused.

Linden Lab states:

• Fraud & theft are both LL:Terms Of Service violations and crimes. Misuse this function and you risk being banned and legal action. In addition LL may freeze the accounts of anyone the money is transferred to and restore it to it's rightful owners. This may involve retrieving it from third party exchanges and accounts on those exchanges being frozen. The system is not designed to be friendly towards fraud.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTransferLindenDollars

Hopefully they live up to their word here.

You did do the right thing in deleting the object.

soo i got a group notice 

WARNING

New way to steal your lindens

If you receive an object called GIFT CARD - Open and get 60% OFF by an account named Giftevent03. When you rez it , it asks you to give permission for lindens to be taken from your account. The accounts are a named Giftvendor with a number after. . Please don't accept this if it's sent to you. Absolutely don't give it permissions to take lindens from your account and please please file an AR if this comes your way. This is not a hoax.

1st mistake - you accepted an object from a stranger and didn't delete it immediately.
2nd (big) mistake - you attached it
3rd (mega) mistake - you gave it permission to take L$ from you

If a stranger talks to you in the street, gives you a gift card and lets you fill out a form so he can taKe money from your bank account - will you do it? :D

So you see: SL is the same than RL - you can even become driven over by a bus in SL. Only difference is: the damage is far less than in RL. But you must not sleep when interacting in SL. It's no safe place.

One detail: An attached object, you can detach and delete. Problem solved. But If this object ever gets rezzed and hides - it will keep the transfer L$ permission. Then the story is not over that quickly.

Never rez or attach anything you don't trust and you never should trust anything! :D Well that's skills to know what you can trust and what not. :D

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Usually, if I am gifted something I don't quite trust, I will take it to a sandbox, rez it on the ground and check the scripts. Not exactly the same situation, but for things like pieces of jewelry that shouldn't HAVE scripts, it's a good idea. 

That can still get you in hot water, unless you find/use a no-script sandbox. If the object _is_ a griefing object and attacks/griefs people in the sandbox you're the one who gets AR'd since you own it.

Perrie Juran wrote:

debit warning.png

DemitriusSinn wrote:

I got offered the object by a random user at the store i was, accepted it (i don't think it attached to me), they left the sim and my i got repeated messages in my inbox about failed payment to the resident until it began to go through and i "paid" them almost all of my L$ (i only have 34$L left now).  A few minutes after i posted this i got a second offer for another "gift card, but i've learned my lesson with that.

As Sassy pointed out, the object would either have needed to have been worn or rezzed and at that point you should have gotten this warning or something similar.

llTransferLindenDollars is a legitimate and necesary function but sadly can be abused.

Linden Lab states:

• Fraud & theft are both
    violations and crimes. Misuse this function and you risk being banned and legal action. In addition LL may freeze the accounts of anyone the money is transferred to and restore it to it's rightful owners. This may involve retrieving it from third party exchanges and accounts on those exchanges being frozen. The system is not designed to be friendly towards fraud.

Hopefully they live up to their word here.

You did do the right thing in deleting the object.

What is truly sad is this does not apply to the marketplace. They consider the MP to be user to user and will not get involved in disputes.

I bought what was supposed to be a very nice horse bundle, back when the breedables were popular, for 10,000L$. when i discovered it was empty i filed a ticket immediately and received a message from LL that it was a user to user dispute and they would not get involved. Always remember, the MP is buyer beware.

More than just "sad", it's inexcusable that LL take that approach since:-

1. LL have an avatar that act as an intermediary that forms part of the transaction process, LL IS involved.
  2. LL take a commission on a fraudulent transaction.  LL profits from fraud and isn't interested in stopping it.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

What is truly sad is this does not apply to the marketplace. They consider the MP to be user to user and will not get involved in disputes.

I bought what was supposed to be a very nice horse bundle, back when the breedables were popular, for 10,000L$. when i discovered it was empty i filed a ticket immediately and received a message from LL that it was a user to user dispute and they would not get involved. Always remember, the MP is buyer beware.

And they were happy to keep the five percent commission (i.e. 500 L$) they received from this scam. And then "we're not getting involved into this in any way".

This is nuts. :smileyfrustrated:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.