Just upgraded to a GTX970 - wow!

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My previoous graphics card wasn't bad, an MSI GTX560Ti 448-core version, but I really like to pump up the quality setting. That's how I enjoy my SL experience. I tended to run the settings a notch below Ultra, with a few individual things tweaked up and others down.

I like Hayabusa wind effect trees, and if I panned across a few of those, my display jerked badly and my GPU fans went up to take-off speed instantly.

So, I sold a few bits on ebay and treated myself to an MSI GTX970 (twnfrozr, blah blah blah).

While I can't say it's a whole new experience, the differences are considerable. I've max'ed out everything in the graphics options in Firestorm. Now, I can pan acorss those tricky trees with ease. The lowest my frame rate drops to with them in view, plus several snow particle emittors I have running, water animations and scripted flying bugs, is about 25fps. Plenty! Movies are only produced at 24. Oh, and the fans are as quiet as the older GPU and don't seem to increase in speed when looking at the trees. I've capped the framerate at 70, and it sometimes hits that cap/

I'm going to find some really busy places now, to test it out. I'm certainly impressed so far though. The 970 rocks!

The only oddity I've noticed is that the "bumpiness" setting of parts of my build's textures seems much less noticeable. I actually thought it was not even working, until I clicked it on and off a few times and could just notice the difference. I use it on some wallpapers, set to "lightness", and it used to give a really good 3d effect like posh wallpaper. Now it is hardly different to normal. I'm betting that's more a driver issue though since I updated my driver at the same time as installing the new card. Oh well, nothing's perfect. I'll see what I can tweak...

Now, if only LL could make use of more of the 4GB of memory the 970 has.

Vulpinus wrote:

Well, yeah - I'm in Gacha Alley Market now. That place used to drive my GPU to distraction and I really had to drop to quite low settings to survive there. It's a bit laggy now, at max everything, but certainly usable.

I've noticed that a lot of Gatchas are very poorly modeled. Possibly an area of frequent content theft from 3D art communities like renderosity?

- The Gatchas often seem to be too high in polygons / vertices...

Something that will wreck havoc with the viewer when many of them are in view at once.

LLs should have made the cost of uploading a mesh exponentially go up with its polygon count...

- To the point where some of these items should have cost their makers a hundred thousand or more L$ to upload... Something so high it would have limited it to the very very very few valid use cases for such intensity - like an entire sim as a single mesh object for... whatever reason that could possibly have.

As for upgrading systems. I remember when I just assumed that having 5fps was the SL norm... and assumed that SL was just slower than other online 3D mediums. Now my assumption is more akin to 50fps...

Yeah, the GTX970 is really doing well.

I haven't tried overclocking it yet. I've managed to get the fans running faster though, playing Witcher 2 on maximum graphics options. SL on max everything and 256m view still doesn't make it sweat.

Oooh... SSD for caching? I can imagine how quick that is (Don't have one yet, but I'm an electronics nut so I'm used to dealing with it at chip level).

I keep thinking of setting up a RAMdisk for cache (got 16GB RAM), but I already have a few things going into RAMdisk on boot and adding another 10GB-worth of copying at startup and shutdown would annoy me. Plus, if I crash - much more likely cache corruption.

How does the lifetime of the SSD get impacted by using it as a cache though? Last time I checked (a while ago I admit) SSD's were impacted hard by continual writing. The cells die off.

Hmm... I might set up a RAID-0 for a cache, and see how that goes.

Vulpinus wrote:

How does the lifetime of the SSD get impacted by using it as a cache though? Last time I checked (a while ago I admit) SSD's were impacted hard by continual writing. The cells die off.

is a bit of a myth this these days bc of how modern SSD drives manage themselfs

all harddrives wear out. Like my normal hard drive in my last 2 laptops both collapse after about 2 years, so i had to get new ones. I got a SSD C: drive on my desktop. Is coming up to 2 years now and is all good so far 

is some stuff here about SSD:

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

No matter how fast your comp is you can never fully escape lagg you could have a $10,000 gaming pc if that's even possible but still have lag because lagg isnt usually the persons computer it's the servers and if they have stuff like sculpted rocks, mesh stone walls, mesh roads, and them huge tropicle islands sculpted rocks water falls type things that create epic lagg

rockerX0X0X wrote:

No matter how fast your comp is you can never fully escape lagg you could have a $10,000 gaming pc if that's even possible but still have lag because lagg isnt usually the persons computer it's the servers and if they have stuff like sculpted rocks, mesh stone walls, mesh roads, and them huge tropicle islands sculpted rocks water falls type things that create epic lagg

Oh really now?

Perrie Juran wrote:

rockerX0X0X wrote:

Oh really now?

Yep, I concur. I'd add in textures also. Unlike a real game, textures in SL are accessive. 1 simple object could be dozens of textures, where as, in a game, that item would be 1 texture, or a combo of diffuse, bump, and speculars, to save data, instead of doing it with geometry. It's been awhile since I really tested anything like that tho, and things have changed.

I'm jealious of the video card tho. I run a gtx560 on my main rig, and I think a gtx560 TI on my rending rig.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

rockerX0X0X wrote:

Oh really now?

Yep, I concur. I'd add in textures also. Unlike a real game, textures in SL are accessive. 1 simple object could be dozens of textures, where as, in a game, that item would be 1 texture, or a combo of diffuse, bump, and speculars, to save data, instead of doing it with geometry. It's been awhile since I really tested anything like that tho, and things have changed.

I'm jealious of the video card tho. I run a gtx560 on my main rig, and I think a gtx560 TI on my rending rig.

Maybe we are reading what he said differently.

I'm looking at where he said, "...Lagg isnt usually the persons computer it's the servers...."

Servers don't render the textures, hence how could a texture lag the server?  (Though I'm not sure exactly how server side appearance works).

The lag occurs when the client slows down rendering all the textures.

If he had said "Lag isn't always" I would have concurred. 

It's been a very rare SIM that I've seen SIM FPS, Time dilation, etc, drop when there were no other Ava's present. 

ETA: I am always open to learning more on this topic.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm looking at where he said, "...Lagg isnt
usually
the persons computer it's the servers...."

Servers don't render the textures, hence how could a texture lag the server?  (Though I'm not sure exactly how server side appearance works).

If he had said "Lag isn't
always
" I would have concurred. 

It's been a very rare SIM that I've seen SIM FPS, Time dilation, etc, drop when there were no other Ava's present. 

Well, you are probably right. I either missed or blocked out that passage in my brain. I don't know enough about how it all works to say what exactly is causing the bottleneck. I can only say what I see when it happens. For a long time, it seemed as if the system was not caching items correctly, and constantly having to redownload stuff that should already be there. Like your cache was full, and could only hold whatever you were just looking at. I'm just a 3D artist tho, and know pretty much nothing about how this all works, especially now that it is changed.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm looking at where he said, "...Lagg isnt
usually
the persons computer it's the servers...."

If he had said "Lag isn't
always
" I would have concurred. 

Well, you are probably right. I either missed or blocked out that passage in my brain. I don't know enough about how it all works to say what exactly is causing the bottleneck. I can only say what I see when it happens. For a long time, it seemed as if the system was not caching items correctly, and constantly having to redownload stuff that should already be there. Like your cache was full, and could only hold whatever you were just looking at. I'm just a 3D artist tho, and know pretty much nothing about how this all works, especially now that it is changed.

I'm in no way an expert on this also.  I've read a lot on it.  But my geekiness only goes so far.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.