Is this a fair wage?

KennethTossbag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You're getting paid about 10 real life American Cents an hour at that rate. In ten hours, you'll have a dollar (before tax, lol).

There's no statistic for 'typical' wages in SL, It's entirely up to you if you consider this a fair wage for the time and effort required. If the job is just camping without any action it might not be the worst-paid position I've ever seen.

I've never understood why anyone would get a job that earns less than you'll need to pay for your Internet connection and power consumption, but that's entirely your call to make. Entertainment is what it is, and unskilled workers are disposable.

Crunchcrunch.

KennethTossbag wrote:

I've just been offered a SL job for 20L per hour. Is this a typical SL rate and is it my worth my while doing it?

Typical wages for SL jobs tend to be very low when converted to real dollar rates.  A perusal of the Employment Section of the Forum will give you an idea of how (bad) it is.

$20L is insanely low.

The truth of the matter is that unless you enjoy what you are doing, are doing it for fun, virtually no SL job is worth your time.  You'd be better off running a lemonade stand in RL in the middle of winter if you really need the money.

It depends on what the job it. If you have to do anything other than just be there, such as talk to people etc., then it is grossly unfair payment. On the other hand, if all you have to do is just be there, then it's very good payment. I know one person who is paid for what she calls her job, but all her job is is just being in a certain place for 12 minutes every day. Nothing more than that.

For totally unskilled work I could find people for 10L an hour. So on that basis you're well above the bread line.

But if you're packing UV maps and rigging animations I think you're being exploited.

As with real life, it all depends on what the "job" is.

Depends what the job is. If you're a store model, you're basically just "camping" (being in a particular place for a certain amount of time in exchange for a very small amount of L$) and that's not a bad rate for camping. For pretty much anything else, it's insanely low.

Matty Luminos wrote:

Depends what the job is. If you're a store model, you're basically just "camping" (being in a particular place for a certain amount of time in exchange for a very small amount of L$) and that's not a bad rate for camping. For pretty much anything else, it's insanely low.

At that rate of pay, as a Store Model, I do hope they wouldn't have to buy the outfits also.

MBeatrix wrote:

One hour of your precious SL time for L$20?! Even if all you have to do is stand there, think: it is 60 minutes taken away from you and what you enjoy, just for a miserable L$20.

It's better pay than the best camping pay I ever came across, which was 3L per 10 minutes, and camping was a very popular way of getting a few L$. So, if it's just being in a place, without having to do anything at all, or even be at the keyboard, it's good pay when compared to camping.

It's better pay than the best camping pay I ever came across, which was 3L per 10 minutes, and camping was a very popular way of getting a few L$. So, if it's just being in a place, without having to do anything at all, or even be at the keyboard, it's good pay when compared to camping.

Barely, but yes. Still, camping is one of the most stupid things I've seen in SL. Wouldn't people do something enjoyable instead?

The best way of getting L$ is buying them. I find it very hard to believe that someone who has a computer and an internet connection can't spend a couple bucks once in a while to have SL money.

Plenty of people found camping to be very useful to them, not because their time was well used but because they were afk doing other stuff while their av was camping. I never needed to camp for money but I sometimes did it simply because it was there and i could. For instance, when I went out to lunch I'd set my av camping - because it's there. Most people had no inworld income, and no desire to pay, so camping was good for them, simply because it was free money and you didn't need to be at the computer to do it.

Back in the old days of my SL I didn't had much lindens and there was this shop where you could work as a store model, a giant shop full of boots and omg I love boots! I used to login and park my avi on one of the pose stands in that shop and simply did some stuff around the home or on pc. I "worked" only for store giftcards that we could use to buy boots and I stayed there until I bought every single boot that I liked. For me it was a fair wage so answer to your question is, whatever you agree on, its fair until you find something better to do and spend your time. If you had it already, you wouldn't even ask this question :)

KennethTossbag wrote:

Thanks for the input, folks. I decided it was a waste of time and so went down a club and played the sploder instead.

My would-be boss sent me an angry IM. STUFF HIM AND HIS 20L

That is a bit of the Catch 22 with many Second Life Jobs.

For Business Owners in SL it is often "Serious Business."

They are either investing Real Life Money or earning Real Life Money with their Clubs, Stores, etc.  So for them it is not some kind of namby pandy thing that they are doing. 

The down side of this is that they expect a Real Life Level commitment as big as their own commitment is from their workers for the pittance that a SL Salary is.

It is something that is really out of kilter in SL.

The problem is if the Business owners really did pay RL level salaries it would make SL very cost prohibitive very fast.  Or maybe it wouldn't.  I'm not really sure how to extrapolate this.

When I worked my SL Job I did it mainly because it was fun for me.  It certainly wasn't worth the $300L for two hours of my time.  When it ceased being fun I ceased doing it. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

Plenty of people found camping to be very useful to them, not because their time was well used but because they were afk doing other stuff while their av was camping. I never needed to camp for money but I sometimes did it simply because it was there and i could. For instance, when I went out to lunch I'd set my av camping - because it's there. Most people had no inworld income, and no desire to pay, so camping was good for them, simply because it was free money and you didn't need to be at the computer to do it.

I had some similar experiences early in my SL. There was a spot with a great stream and camping spots that were dance animations. Hanging out doing what we'd do anyway and getting paid for it, even a pittance? No-brainer, and it bought a lot of dollarbies back in the day.

Perrie Juran wrote:

KennethTossbag wrote:

Thanks for the input, folks. I decided it was a waste of time and so went down a club and played the sploder instead.

My would-be boss sent me an angry IM. STUFF HIM AND HIS 20L

That is a bit of the Catch 22 with many Second Life Jobs.

For Business Owners in SL it is often "Serious Business."

They are either investing Real Life Money or earning Real Life Money with their Clubs, Stores, etc.  So for them it is not some kind of namby pandy thing that they are doing. 

The down side of this is that they expect a Real Life Level commitment as big as their own commitment is from their workers for the pittance that a SL Salary is.

It is something that is really out of kilter in SL.

The problem is if the Business owners really did pay RL level salaries it would make SL very cost prohibitive very fast.  Or maybe it wouldn't.  I'm not really sure how to extrapolate this.

When I worked my SL Job I did it mainly because it was fun for me.  It certainly wasn't worth the $300L for two hours of my time.  When it ceased being fun I ceased doing it. 

I don't see the point of being in SL unless I'm enjoying what I'm doing.  So much so that, even if some idiot were to offer me the job of straightening up my own inventory, I'd probably still end up telling them to stuff it.

...Dres *and his inventory just don't get along*

I wonder a bit about this level of wage: 50% of the income from the owners entire business, minus 50% of the land fee to LL, and other expenses? ... How much would that be in most cases?

Of course some business owners are making profit from SL, but I also think a lot of the business owners, are just working here mostly for fun and not for the money. – So why should it not be possible to do so too, as an employee?

My opinion therefor is, that what ever you do in SL, be happy to do it and have fun...and is it possible to make some pocket L$-money out of it too, you will have double fun doing it.

After all this is not rl, but a virtuel world, where the time you spend should not be calculated in cool cash.... It ought to be in the real world, you should earn money to buy L$ – and in SL you should spend the L$ rather than earn them.

KennethTossbag wrote:

I've just been offered a SL job for 20L per hour. Is this a typical SL rate and is it my worth my while doing it?

I have only hired once and that lady is still with me 7 years on :) 

I didnt do it on an hourly rate because at the time I dont think there were clocking on clocking off devices or iif there was,  I was comfortable asking her to use one. 

So I just offered a weekly amount. Sounds better when you round it up for X amount of hours.

But then you have to understand "back then" everyone was making lots of money, SL was new and novel and people spent freely so wages were higher.. I think campers got paid better than 20L an hour back then..

Grim days.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.