Is the new Premium gift a bad joke?

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That entire mess of a promotion popped up in my inbox yesterday (Guess they were really missing my membership fee) I hadn't gotten one of those emails... ever... So there I was, suspiciously hovering over the links to see what came up in the hint box and it was a weird link 'click.me.secondlifeblahblahblah' or something like that. the click.me weirded me out so I came here looking and sure enough they're holding this stinky promotion with that huge boat (how big is it size wise? that picture makes it look massive) for incentive. I just had to smh at it. Neat but how many people are actually going to be able to use it? And now that one of ya have given the LI, that's just insane. That thing hits a sim border it's going to explode >.<

(how big is it size wise? that picture makes it look massive)

It is, well... BIG. The picture shows it rezzed at a premium sandbox.

That thing hits a sim border it's going to explode

Only unaware people (if anyone at all besides the Lindens) will try that, I believe...

mew mew ma mew , boom :matte-motes-dead:

Ok, i went and got it, its big, it fires somethign like 44 canon balls on each side :)

First couple of sim crossing were ok, so i decided lets try the big on at the corner of 4 sims, you know where 4 sims meet.

Poor Kristin ended up on the ground at the center of 4 sims, and the pirate boat floated away, but then it somehow boucned off the end of the one sime and flew right back oveer me, and is now floating away in the sandbox. Someone else is tryihng to hijack the pirate ship, good luck to them :)

so i decided lets try the big on at the corner of 4 sims

Sim corners are never a good idea for any vehicle, so it's amazing you didn't have a really nasty crash and get "ghosted" there... But then you've been trying it at low busy sims, right?

The best way to cross sims is doing it perpendicular to the border (90 degrees) or else the region may not be able to perfom the hand-off in a fashionable time/way.

Kristin Burner wrote:

mew mew ma mew , boom :matte-motes-dead:

Ok, i went and got it, its big, it fires somethign like 44 canon balls on each side
:)

First couple of sim crossing were ok, so i decided lets try the big on at the corner of 4 sims, you know where 4 sims meet.

Poor Kristin ended up on the ground at the center of 4 sims, and the pirate boat floated away, but then it somehow boucned off the end of the one sime and flew right back oveer me, and is now floating away in the sandbox. Someone else is tryihng to hijack the pirate ship, good luck to them
:)

In other words, you got your money's worth. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

In the end, it's not even a coherent design. The textures between the two parts match up, but that's about it. They've just taken a ship, thrown on some fins and hung it under a balloon. The added-on tail fin intersects with the ship's rudder. The ship is too big for the envelope and parts of the rigging intersect with the suspension ropes. As everyone's pointed out, it's way too high LI for most people to leave on display. The usable deck is too small to be a live-aboard, and it's too big, primmy and slow for a vehicle.

Oh, and of course, it's no-mod so none of this is fixable, and none of the good design components are salvageable for your own build.

hollowgirl78 wrote:

I won't even bother picking it up, as all it will do is sit in my inventory. I have zero understanding as to why they thought this would be a good gift?

Ummm compared to previous Premium gifts? If I remember correctly, the last one consisted mainly of a bunch of cubes with ribbons around them to make them look like christmas gifts (except there was northing inside them of course). And before that ... wasn't it a pathetic looking cartoon airplane kind of thing?

I don't think anybody should take the premium gifts seriously - LL certainly doesn't. Fortunately there are plenty of other good reasons to have a premium account and if it's freebies you want, there are one or two other places you can find that.

That being said, the premium gift joke is starting to wear thin - maybe it's about time to stop? And if LL is that desperate to find somthing to keep their semi-domesticated builders active - well, there is this Linden road across my sim that is in dire need of repair... :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

I was going to get a premium account today after seeing the 50% deal in my email last night, so I could finnish several large airships I have been working on for months, but I'm not going to pay LL to compeat with free stuff.  I spent my $ else where,  for 20$ I now have 5 sim on an other grid with a total of 1/2 a million prims to work with.

Believe me, if you produced a useful vehicle or a reasonable LI skybox-style airship. you'd be way beyond competing with this.

I'm not going to pay LL to compeat with free stuff

Do you really think that... thing... can compete with any decent airship? Kelli is right — it can't be considered competition. Actually, I'm still trying to find out what it can be considered as... But I can say this: it's kinda offensive that LL believes anyone would spend 502 prims (or more, if flying) to have that rezzed over their land.

I agree this seems a lame gift for many but some will like it.  You can  use it over the blake sea even if you don't own land.

You can please some of the people most of the time, but not all of the people everytime.  My own observation is gifts are given in connection with promotions to get new people into SL or for newbs that have very little and may be enticed to sign up for premium to get the gift, not really for established residents.

None of the premium 'gifts' they've given over time are liked or useful for a lot of established residents.  For example, unless you had none or liked what they gave better than what you had, how many people could actually use an extra living room set?  With vehicles, not everyone wants one or is interested in one either.  Those that are interested in vehicles probably already had gotten what they like and it was much better than the gift.  I bet most of the 'gifts' are cluttering people's inventory now and are not widely used after the shiny wears off.

I wouldn't hold my breath to get something everyone would like, such as free tier for a larger plot.  The premium gifts are pretty cheap to aquire and cost nothing to give multiple copies out, compared to an ongoing loss of tier income.

Oh, yes, that's a perspective I can agree with. But, as someone pointed earlier in this thread, the thing is, they could have thought of something that would give real value to premium memberships and wouldn't make existing premium members feel kinda insulted.

The Lindy airplane is crappy flying, but at least it is low prim and pretty. The Christmas set... well, parts of it can also be used without much impact on one's parcel. But this airship... almost made me speechless when I rezzed it.

As for flying it over the Blake Sea... (grinning here) I just hope someone, sometime, comes up with the idea of setting a race there for these airships.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

so I could finnish several large airships

I always find it amusing to read your posts.  I was under the impression that you used some sort of voice recognition software and never bother to go back and correct what it may have gotten wrong.  This particular post makes me question my assumption, simply because I would think that any VRS worth a damn would have capitalized Finnish.

...Dres *pours another drink*

Kelli May wrote:

Oh, and of course, it's no-mod so none of this is fixable, and none of the good design components are salvageable for your own build.

Probably not what you had in mind, but the thing contains copiable assets in the inventory of its linked components, so I stole some animations, sounds, and particle textures, just in case I ever find a use for them.

Otherwise... it's a weird gift, for sure, but it can be rezzed at pretty much any Linden rez zone, and once you sit on it the Land Impact doesn't matter anymore. (That is, sat-upon objects do not count against the same 15,000 prim limit per sim, nor parcel limits.) Also, its sim crossing behaviour doesn't seem worse than other mesh-based physical vehicles I've used. It's true that there's a lot of geometry in that mesh, and some of that must get loaded at sim handoff (so the recipient sim's physics engine knows what to do with the object), but it has very few scripts, and those are the real killers for sim crossings.

I've changed my mind ... slightly.

This airship thingy is actually not a bad joke, it's a good joke. But even so, I think we've all got the point now, LL, please don't do it again!

MBeatrix wrote:

As for flying it over the Blake Sea... (grinning here) I just hope someone, sometime, comes up with the idea of setting a race there for these airships.

Ooooooooooo! :matte-motes-big-grin-evil: :matte-motes-big-grin-evil: :matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

What would happen if we got a few hundred contestants? But why limit it to Blake Sea? Start way east on Gaeta V and run it across Corsica and Nautilus and then across the Blake Sea all the way to Kokomo Beach. Ban lines? just fly above them or make them part of the challenge!

It would be for a good cause too: to teach LL never ever to do something as stupid as this again! :matte-motes-smile:

ChinRey wrote:

It would be for a good cause too: to teach LL never ever to do something as stupid as this again! :matte-motes-smile:

Sorry, but I have to question the level of mental wherewithal of anyone who thinks they can teach LL anything.  After all... they've gained such a substantial reputation for stupidity over the years.  Stupidity of which they may be actively trying to detach themselves and yet fail to do so on a regular basis.

...Dres

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

I was going to get a premium account today after seeing the 50% deal in my email last night, so I could finnish several large airships I have been working on for months, but I'm not going to pay LL to compeat with free stuff.  I spent my $ else where,  for 20$ I now have 5 sim on an other grid with a total of 1/2 a million prims to work with.

This is a reply to Parrish but he deleted the contents of his post so I'm hijacking your post, Kelli.

If you consider LL's gift as competition for you, then you must be thinking in terms of selling your airships. You may now have 5 sims and half a million prims to work with on another grid, but what you won't have are customers. You can make the best airships ever but if none of the 12 people who populate the grid you're on want to buy it, you're sunk. I'm exagerating about 12 people, of course, but I think it makes the point.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.