Is the new Premium gift a bad joke?

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Qie Niangao wrote:

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Why don't they keep it simple? 

50,000 L$ (
Or some other amount that they feel is appropriate
)

That way, the money can go back into the economy and we ALL benefit.

LL will make a 5% back on MP sales which the vast majority of sales are done anyway. 

EDIT: Or am I being naive? I never was good at maths or economy related things.... lol

Would that cause an issue with the worth of the L$? 

I dunno...shooting from the hip...
:D

First off, the 5% Marketplace commission is just laughably low, regardless. It would make sense if there were serious competition, but that's not the case (anymore), so I hope for SL2 they have the good sense to crank that up to at least the industry-standard 30% for app-store like things.

But the economics: It's true that pumping L$s into the SL economy stimulates activity, and that's why Premium weekly stipends exist. The thing is, it's a balancing act: as you guessed, if there are extra L$s circulating, they'll lose value, like any RL currency where too much of it has been printed. The reason that doesn't happen with the weekly stipend is that there are a bunch of "sinks" built-in to the economy that remove L$s from circulation (much) faster than they're sourced by stipends. One such sink is upload fees. 

In fact, the SL economy is balanced such that those sinks are considerably larger than regular sources, so LL sometimes sells L$s on the LindeX when the price of the L$ goes above the target.

Hence, giving away L$s would in fact cost LL real money, in the form of lost sales on the LindeX.

It's not quite one-to-one. Maybe some of that infusion of excess L$s would be absorbed in real growth to the SL economy. On the other hand, if the infusion were large enough, it would overwhelm the built-in L$ sinks and the L$'s value would decline. (As far as we know, LL never
buys
on the LindeX to prevent such an event.)

Looking at the current data on Grid Survey I see no signs of any unusual activity on the Lindex.  Ever since the announcement of SL2 I'd been waiting to see an update and if there is a dip it sure is not obvious to me.  Looks like trading as normal.

http://gridsurvey.com/lindex.php

If they get a lot of sign ups from the current promotion that will infuse more $L into the economy.  But you'd need a heck of a lot of sign ups to make a truly noticeable impact.  A thousand new sign ups would only bring about $43,000L per day into the economy.  And that gets offset by people who are cancelling their Premium membership for whatever reason.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lindens already keep track of Stipend so it can't be directly converted to real money. It has to be done through a distinct account. So a chunk of extra L$ as a Premium Benefit wouldn't break things.

I'm still trying to figure how to get the thing to move. I can fire the cannot, but nothing sets it moving. Is that a side effect of it being so big?

It's a stupid design. All it can do is drift downwind. Real sailing ships depend on water and wind acting differently.

arabellajones wrote:

The Lindens already keep track of Stipend so it can't be directly converted to real money. It has to be done through a distinct account....

I don't understand what you are saying here. Stipend goes into the system and as far as I'm aware, can be sold on the Lindex just like any other L$. I've sold stipend that I've saved up for dollars and used it to help pay tier and membership fees. On one occasion I've cashed those dollars out via PayPal and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Really?

I was trying not to complicate things and mention a very old bug that's an exception arising only when crossing a sim boundary directly into a parcel without enough prims. That's supposed to be the only case where the recipient sim will (usually) return the vehicle before it realizes it's a sat-upon vehicle. 

So if you're seeing that, yeah, sorry; I omitted it on purpose, but that may have been a mistake. If, on the other hand, you're seeing other occasions where sat-upon vehicles are returned (or generate that funky "cannot enter parcel" message) not involving sim crossings, then those may need new jiras. It is definitely not supposed to work that way.

Sorry, Qie, I know you usually are well informed, but you may be wrong this time. Vehicles do count on parcels. I've been testing that on different parcels and sims, and each time a vehicle set physical (with someone sat on it, of course) enters them, the number of prims available is reduced by the count of the vehicle's LI. Maybe it is a bug, but then it is present all over... Maybe it isn't, and that's just the way things work.

If you have nothing more interesting to do, you can check that sometime. But I did test it using both sailboats and an helicopter.

MBestrix, I read Qie the same way at first, but the Jira bug he is talking about is about occassions where a vehicle comes in to problems with parcel limits and not the sim limit they are supposed to only count against.

The curious thing for me is the premium gift remains physical, doesn't attach and yet goes to zero land impact against the sim when you sit on it. I have a lot of vehicles... although never bought any of the hundteds of prim sailing boats... and have never come across this behavioir before. I haven't seen anyone else mention this but that is what I witnessed when I checked it in the sandbox. I am interested to know how they achieved that and whether we will be able to see the same in other vehicles soon.

The curious thing for me is the premium gift remains physical, doesn't attach and yet goes to zero land impact against the sim when you sit on it.

Oh wow! I'll check that as soon as I can get back inworld. But... if we sit on it, we become attached to it. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I wonder if all vehicles creators are doing it wrong, though...

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Why don't they keep it simple? 

50,000 L$ (
Or some other amount that they feel is appropriate
)

That way, the money can go back into the economy and we ALL benefit.

LL will make a 5% back on MP sales which the vast majority of sales are done anyway. 

EDIT: Or am I being naive? I never was good at maths or economy related things.... lol

Would that cause an issue with the worth of the L$? 

I dunno...shooting from the hip...
:D

In spite of your getting a reply that shot down your idea (economics is SUCH a boring subject, isn't it?) I liked the post. For some reason the idea of a woman shooting from the hip kinda gets to me.

The lower prim version is 145LI and available in finer premium Sandboxes everywhere...  it comes with a recommendation for how to set the LOD display to 4.0

Yes, "due to some popular feedback" the Lindens made a new version with an acceptable LI. Also, it is good to know they are listening to the community — at least when we keep it reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

MBeatrix wrote:

The lower prim version is 145LI and available in finer premium Sandboxes everywhere...  it comes with a recommendation for how to set the LOD display to 4.0

Yes, "due to some popular feedback" the Lindens made a new version with an acceptable LI. Also, it is good to know they are listening to the community — at least when we keep it reasonable.

Yes, that's good to know.

Unfortunately there is a negative side to that updated version too. I used to think the reason why LL's own builders usually does such a poor job is that they're overworked and short on time. This, however, is sheer incompetence. No builder with even the slightest knowledge or udnerstanding of mesh would have to sacrifice LOD to this extent to get the LI down on a buid like this.

I used to have some grudging respect for the moles because they have actually done some decent work in the past. But after this? These guys have no right to call themselves builders, and as a tier paying landowner I'm deeply insulted that LL chooses to waste some of the money me and others pay them, on such rubbish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.