Is it illegal too

Coldpaws

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it illegal for a sim owner to just go on a ban hammer craze, banning everyone they dont like, for example people wearing a certian skirt, saying hey all, to people there, asking people if they like their outfit, just to their friends only.

No, its totally ok within the ToS to do that. You could ban every avatar that currently exists for every reason, if its your place, because you pay for it. Its like RL, where you are allowed to kick everyone out of your house, for whatever reason.

Coldpaws wrote:

i heard the staff/owners are hacking people to see if they are any of the griefers etc they banned, more or less to see who your accounts are.  thats what the rumor is

Thats not hacking, because by the way, every website you go to knows your IP adress. But like the others said, you have just heard rumors and no proof. Also it would be pretty pointless looking for IP adresses, because many people have changing IP adresses.

Coldpaws wrote:

i heard the staff/owners are hacking people to see if they are any of the griefers etc they banned, more or less to see who your accounts are.  thats what the rumor is

I find the word *Hacking* misused and misunderstood so often in so many ways...

Example.. In a group, lets say its a Farmville group, where the owner makes a friend of his a admin to help him run the group. But the friend has other ideas and kicks the owner out the group and takes it over.. That is (unfortunately) known as hacking, but has nothing to do with it... The friend fooled the owner to trust him, but its not hacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)

madam Martian wrote:

Coldpaws wrote:

I find the word
*Hacking*
misused and misunderstood so often in so many ways...

Example.. In a group, lets say its a Farmville group, where the owner makes a friend of his a admin to help him run the group. But the friend has other ideas and kicks the owner out the group and takes it over.. That is
(unfortunately)
known as hacking, but has nothing to do with it... The friend fooled the owner to trust him, but its not hacking.

It's social engineering, which while not what most people think of as hacking (or more strictly speaking, cracking), is probably the most common way of subverting computer or physical security.

Language evolves...

English is especially prone to changing meaning on words. We've got quite a few words that have flipped meaning over time to the exact opposite of their original use. And even more that have merely taken a side trip down a different road due to changing times and adoption by different audiences.

I don't think the 'But a hacker is just a pro-techie' camp will ever manage to reclaim their word.

Hacker is now a synonym for its former opposite term 'cracker', which itself seems to only refer to a snack or prerogative ethnic label. If I tell folks "that dude is one heck of a cracker" these days, they're almost certainly going to assume I have issues with caucasians, not with people who break into computers... or that I think the guy eats too many ritzes... o.O

Coldpaws wrote:

Is it illegal for a sim owner to just go on a ban hammer craze, banning everyone they dont like, for example people wearing a certian skirt, saying hey all, to people there, asking people if they like their outfit, just to their friends only.

Gee, that sounds a lot like what another person wsa doing in a sandbox... Wearing a skirt, asking people if they liked it.. you left out handing out LM to their store though...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Coldpaws wrote:

Gee, that sounds a lot like what another person wsa doing in a sandbox... Wearing a skirt, asking people if they liked it.. you left out handing out LM to their store though...

I was literally about to point that out, too remembering that thread very well. Glad I wasn't the only one being strongly reminded of this! Seems like the person got what was coming to them for spamming people that did not want to be spammed. Kudos to the sim owner, wish more will follow suit. There is no reason to send out lm's to a store unless specifically asked for it.

Hoppimike wrote:

Just go to a different sim instead! If the owner loses enough people I'm sure that will be motivation to change their ways!
:)

I hope not. There is a valid hint in this text, that he spammed other guests and probably handed out LMs. If that was the case, the owner just protected the other guests, which is what ever good sim or club  owner should do.

Of course he can go to another place now (there are plenty), but if he doesn't question his behavior that leaded to getting banned, he will get the same result at any other place until he maybe finds one where the people in charge are lazy or sleeping.

the thing is he was not handing out LM's he was just asking what people thought of his work outfit, which a friend made for him, and he got banned, for asking what people thought of his outfit for his work, he never stated where he got a job at. We was standing there and next thing we know, he ims us stating hes been banned. We go to where he is and the sim owner that just banned him comes to where we are, and DEMANDS us to come back to his sim, and we are all asking him why, when our friend got banned for no reason, and were getting griefed all the time, and he mouthed off to another sim owner who ejected him. Yesterday while i was in this sim, who originally banned my friend, i saw a few people get banned from the sim, just cause they came in wearing something they didnt like, and asked a question to a manager and the manager ignored them, when they asked again they got banned, so what kind of sim is this?

This all seems to be operating from the assumption that it's exceptional and rude to be banned from a sim. If instead you accept that being permitted in a region is an act of generousity to be repaid throughout a stay, you may be welcome longer at more places.

Qie Niangao wrote:

This all seems to be operating from the assumption that it's exceptional and rude to be banned from a sim. If instead you accept that being permitted in a region is an act of generousity to be repaid throughout a stay, you may be welcome longer at more places.

I think that this is a good point, and, overall, I don't disagree, but it pertains primarily to situations where what is at stake is privacy.

In RL, I don't feel that I have a right to walk into someone's house without permission or an invitation, because it is a private space; I would respond quite differently were I denied entrance into a more "public" space -- for instance, a store, or a club -- for purely arbitrary reasons. In one case, access is by invitation only, and in the other, access is the general rule, and it is the banning that is the exception.

None of this is to suggest that a sim owner doesn't have the right to ban whomever she or he wishes, for purely arbitrary or even plain stupid reasons. Of course they do. But having the "right' to do something doesn't make one any less of a jerk when that action is spiteful or arbitrary. If the rational is misogynist, racist, or classist, the jerkishness of the banner is even more evident.

In the same way, I have the "right" to be rude and peremptory to anyone I meet in real life, but that right wouldn't exempt me from the valid criticism that I was being a b*tch by exercising that right.

Coldpaws wrote:

<snip>

....the thing is
he
was not handing out LM's
he
was just asking what people thought of
his
work outfit, which a friend made for
him
, and
he
got banned.....

<snip>

"......for example people wearing a
certian skirt
, saying hey all, to people there, asking people if they like their outfit......"

</snip>

Was he wearing a kilt?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.