Phil Deakins
Topics: 98

Re: Intan Dance Ball Critisism

[ Edited ]

Reply to Qie Niangao - view message

You're right - I won't turn it into a scripting discussion. I'll just say...

Good idea about centralising the 'book-keeping'. Some of it is already centralised (CHANGED_LINK, for instance), but some significant chunks of it could also be centralised - adjustment stuff, for instance.

And what you mentioned in your last paragraph is also right - it would be overkill for my use of the system.

Reply to Scout Schwager - view message

I think it's grossly unfair to single-out and criticise one product like this.  It's made even worse because most of your complaints are nothing to do with the product itself.

The company's web-site, whether it has one, where it's registered (are you racist?) and how it runs it are absolutely none of our business.  That there are some customer support agents available is a good thing, few SL companies have any.  Do you have any evidence for your beliefs about them or are you just attempting more libel for the sake of it?

Adjusting poses, adjusting positions and 'no positioning tool' are all the same issue.  Menu-structure is another.  Did you really feel the need to flame Intan just because it doesn't have TWO features you'd like?

RIC almost seems appropriate for this thread, but there are some good and useful comments by other people.

Occam's Razor (House version): the simplest explanation is invariably ... someone screwed up.
Scout Schwager

Yes, well I am not new at adjusting poses. I've been working with MLPV2 for 3 years, programming up dozens of different beds and other items, I seldome need the position information, I work it up myself with the tool included with MLPV.

I suspect, don't know, but I believe these independent customer service agents also have the tools to set the positions for dancing animations, but Intan will not share that down to the cutomers. The agents have a revenue stream 'loading' dances in these balls so their is no motivation to share a "how-to".

Yes a company in Indonesia is an issue, I have a lot of issues with non English-speaking programmers and the subesquent lack of good instructions. The market in SL is primarily English-speaking.

I've looked at that TIS Hybrid Dance Machine that was mentioned above, They replied to some questions I had. They have a different approach, maybe not all great, but I am going to try it out, and post more later.

OK and for web site owners. The copyright at the bottom of the page. In 2008, you put "Copyright 2008 yada yada.com". In 2009, you put "Copyright 2008-2009" etc. Otherwise folks will think you are asleep at the wheel.

Tari Landar

Scout Schwager wrote:

Yes, well I am not new at adjusting poses. I've been working with MLPV2 for 3 years, programming up dozens of different beds and other items, I seldome need the position information, I work it up myself with the tool included with MLPV.

I suspect, don't know, but I believe these independent customer service agents also have the tools to set the positions for dancing animations, but Intan will not share that down to the cutomers. The agents have a revenue stream 'loading' dances in these balls so their is no motivation to share a "how-to".

Yes a company in Indonesia is an issue, I have a lot of issues with non English-speaking programmers and the subesquent lack of good instructions. The market in SL is primarily English-speaking.

I've looked at that TIS Hybrid Dance Machine that was mentioned above, They replied to some questions I had. They have a different approach, maybe not all great, but I am going to try it out, and post more later.

OK and for web site owners. The copyright at the bottom of the page. In 2008, you put "Copyright 2008 yada yada.com". In 2009, you put "Copyright 2008-2009" etc. Otherwise folks will think you are asleep at the wheel.

Your suspicions are completely unfounded. I have been using intan for quite some time now(if were' boasting about our experience with various systems, I've been working witht he very one you're comparing it to, for even longer than 3 years as well, but I see no need for that sort of information to be added).

You were, and are, clearly biased from the word go. I have had absolutely nothing but the best of service from intan, ALL of their staff, and even other members in their group chat. I have watched people literally write the position cards for people(both staff, and other members) right there, on the spot, at no charge. It happens ALL the time. They are evry helpful should an issue occur.

You quite clearly have something against people not from the US and/or those who don't have English as a first language. That is 100% YOUR problem. Saying it out loud, in a public(international I might add) forum, makes you come across terribly. It doesn't speak well for you at all. You shouldn't assume things the way you do about people simply because they aren't from your preferred country or speak your preferred language. Then again, you have every right to be as, well, judgmental, as you'd like to be, I suppose. So have at it. But I have to say, reading that makes almost everything you've had to say seem more like sour grapes on your part about something either unrelated, or buyer's remorse, or some other stupid nonsense.

Intan doesn't have to "share" anything down to the customers. People can, and DO make their own position notecards all the dang time. Try actually spending some time doing it yourself instead of complaining about how difficult it is. Since you want to boast about your skills, it should require very little work on your part. Better yet, create your own system and then you won't have to worry about anything at all. I don't know why you find it a bad thing for someone to charge money for a service, such as creating the position notecards for people. Do you expect everyone to do it for free? Seriously? What then exactly are these people supposed to be doing at their "jobs" and getting paid for? It's quite clear you've got absolutely no business sense whatsoever.

Try joining the group inworld, your eyes might be opened just a tad. Maybe you'll see that their staff, and company, isn't nearly as bad as you wrongly assumed. (fair warning, that chat can get busy, or at least, used to). There is always someone around who can and will help, should an issue arise, though.

As for the website, while I agree keeping the date current ought to actually happen, it's not that huge of a deal to me. It's certainly not a deal breaker and certainly not indicator of anything other than someone didn't pay very good attention to that part. But then I guess it could be that they've been busier making products inworld, creating all these notecards you, and the rest of us, will surely need when the creators haven't been able to provide them and such. It's a pretty insignificant piece of information for me, personally. I wouldn't get hung up on it, nor would I make any sort of assumptions about them based on it. It's not their fault you assumed they weren't at the wheel. That's entirely on you.

It seems more and more you didn't even actually try to read the information that came with your intan, read the website, or get any sort of assistance at all. Which leads me to a previous statement that your entire complaint is based entirely off some other nonsensical thing that has nothing at all to do with the performance of the product, or company.

I'm all for people being held accountable and poor functionality being called out when/where needed. But this...doesn't fit that bill at all.

Perrie Juran

First off, seriously, you should go to Bits N Bob's and pick up their note card on the challenges of synchronizing and aligning couples animations and get a better understanding of the topic.

Secondly so this tid bit doesn't get lost, you can use the 'page up' and 'page down' keys on your keyboard to adjust the height of your Avatar while dancing. 

For a long time many people wanted a dance system that would allow couples to change dances with out having to change pose balls.  There were several attempts at systems but they were difficult to configure and use and borked up all the time.  There were actually a lot of people who said it couldn't be done.  There just seemed to be too many obstacles.

Then the girl who designed the Intan system figured out how to make it work.  And couples all over the grid rejoiced.  Because poseball hopping became a thing of the past.  Since then a few other creators have developed similar systems but they each have their unique shortcomings.  The biggest one still being that aligning the Avatars is still not a perfect system.

My take on the whole thing is this.  If putting this system together was a s simple as you think, we'd see a much larger proliferation of similar systems on the Market Place.

On a final note, the girl who happened to figure out originally how to do this just happened to be Malaysian.  So what.  It is perfectly understandable that she afterwards incorporated as a Malaysian business.

Member 16

Scout Schwager wrote:

i think you will find that there are more people in secondlife where english is their second third fourth or even fifth language and not their first

is sometimes difficult for some monolinguists from the primary english speaking countries to get their head around that. same on the interwebz generally

can be even more difficult sometimes for them when they start conversations with: fts

I have used every couple dance system on the market and find Intan the most reliable.  All the others crash or refuse to operate for various reasons from time to time. If the Intan ceases to work, it is for reasons that is not the fault of the creator such as a sim crash and a simple script reset is all that is needed to fix it.  No other system works like this.  Its major competition is used in a club where I assist the owner from time to time and ceases to function regularly and nothing we can do fixes it.  The creator always has to be called in, and that can take days.

Notecards are available for just about every dance out there.  If your dance is not on a preconfigured notecard, you can contact the creator and she will make one for you, usually within 24 hours for no charge. 

As far as loading the dances, Intan is the easiest one out there if you can read simple English and follow instructions.  Many animators have intan packs where the animations are ready to just dump in the ball too along with a notecard they supply.  Is this beyond your skill level?  If you can't, or don't want to load dances yourself,  then pay somoene to do it.  Why should someone do your work for you for free?  No animation system out there will load your animations for free.  Note that there are also intan systems available PRELOADED so all you have to do is rez it and go.

You are just being  a bigot about the fact that this isn't made in America.  Who cares if the product does what it is supposed to do and at a reasonable price.  If you actually made an attempt to use the Intan and their customer support you would have no complaint.  BTW I have actually talked to the creator in person and she understands English very well and can respond in clear English too.

I can only assume you have a stake in another system and are flaming the competition or your own bigotry has blinded you to what a great system it is.

Photobucket
Perrie Juran

Reply to Amethyst Jetaime - view message

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I have used every couple dance system on the market and find Intan the most reliable.

I'll agree with this.  i have only seen one other system that was maybe as stable but it was also more expensive.  And they only sell it preloaded the last I checked.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:
You are just being  a bigot about the fact that this isn't made in America.  Who cares if the product does what it is supposed to do and at a reasonable price.  If you actually made an attempt to use the Intan and their customer support you would have no complaint.  BTW I have actually talked to the creator in person and she understands English very well and can respond in clear English too.

I can only assume you have a stake in another system and are flaming the competition or your own bigotry has blinded you to what a great system it is.

Yep