I am baffled by this one

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to ask, since women tend to shop more than men; why is it that clothing designers of men's apparel do not make their items transferable?  This is a question I have often wondered about.  Myself, I love to give gifts in a gift wrapped box, yet can't with so many things.  I understand that the marketplace allows you to gift just about anything, but there is no personal touch involved when they just receive something from the marketplace.....

I should probably say the same about many things that one would purchase as a gift item, especially at holiday times, valentines day etc....

I understand completely about the no copy no mod then.  So many times I have not bought something that otherwise I would have because I could not put it in a gift box and deliver it when I was ready.  Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.  I am sure other shopoholics such as myself often wonder the same things.

It enables them to sell more items than would be the case if items were freely transferrable. For example, why would a friend buy himself an expensive dinner suit if he could borrow yours once in a while? If the items were transferrable, the initial sale price may well be higher in order to "compensate" the seller for the reduction in future trade. 

With gifting available, I am sometimes surprised that transferable items are still sold.  It would be so easy to form a group and trade clothing, every one purchase two or three outfits and then once every week or two, get together and trade.  Take snapshots and put them in a note card for everyone in the group.  If your going to a formal affair, just address the group, hey, I need a formal for a party, poof, you get a formal and spend no money.  And with enough people in the group you could have so many outfits to pick from and still only actually purchase a very few of them.  And this could work for both men and women.
And as for gifting having “no personal touch”, that is the fault of the store owners.  It would be so easy to set up a way so that when you send a gift, on the exact date needed, it would arrive in a nice package with a card and a message on the card.  “My love, I was thinking of you when I saw this and know you will like it.”  Now you have the personal touch, the item can be copy to protect from being deleted.  Christmas is just around the corner, imagine getting a gift from Santa and a card that just says, Mary Christmas from someone that cares.  The biggest problem with SL is that people are having a problem scratching the surface of possibilities.

Its the same with any kind of object in SL.

It is much more advantageous for the buyer to be able to copy it and modify copies. If you make something copy and transfer, you're "giving away the store" - not by rights, but to anyone who is unethical and willing to violate TOS/license to set up shop selling your stuff without your permission...

Transfer doesn't really help a merchant. It appeals to a very small set of customers - people who buy gifts and don't use gifting options. It is then given to final end user who is now stuck with an item they can't make copies of for modifying safety purposes... a final end customer the merchant has no contacts with, making it more complicated if there is a customer-service need later on.

That would be wonderful if merchants could do something like that.  Laughs thinking of myself with a group that trades....I am the imelda Marcos of SL with shoes and the same with my clothing....no one would ever get a hand on it.  I like finding unique and beautiful things, so, pardon the language, but damn no one else will touch them....that is money I earned and spent.

What I've done (and others have done for me) is to bring the person to the shop in front of the item and give them the money to buy it.

It's not as tawdry as it might sound, since the money is intangible. It's not like in RL, where you'd remember someone putting cash in your hand, or standing by the cash register while they pay.

It's actually pretty nice, because what you remember is the person bringing you somewhere, saying "I want to give you that", and poof! it's yours

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.