Hiding Pose Balls?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Ikiro,

The visibility of pose balls is not a function of the viewer. Some pose balls listen to commands on channel 1, and can be hidden by typing "/1 hide" and made visible again by "/1 show". Other poseballs vanish when sat upon and yet others may operate in any number of ways. If the pose balls are part of a larger object (sofa, bed, etc) touching the object may bring up a menu that includes the ability to show/hide the balls.

Unfortunately, if you don't have instructions for the particular pose balls (or containing object) in question, you may not be able to hide them.

ETA: If you are able to edit the pose balls, you can set their transparency or even add a show/hide script, but that's a hassle and/or a bit higher up the learning curve than you may wish to go at this time.

Good luck!

this still works but is on channel 0 (main chat) which is how I wanted it for photo garden pose balls:

default{    state_entry()    {        llListen(0,"","","");        llSetText("", <1,0,0>, 1.5);    }        on_rez(integer param)    {        llResetScript();        llSetText("", <1,0,0>, 1.5);    }        listen(integer c, string n, key k, string m)    {        if(m=="show") llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, 100.0, ALL_SIDES);        else if (m=="hide") llSetLinkAlpha(LINK_SET, 0.0, ALL_SIDES);        llSetText("", <1,0,0>, 1.5);    }}

Say hide to hide and show to show.

If you have existing ones that are supposed to have that function, try channel 1 and channel 8 with a show or hide command (/1show, /8show etc). There were many sold that opperated on those channels.

It also helps if you can see where they are when you begin, lol, so ctl-alt T will show them in red on your screen.

and if you already knew some of that sorry. Not trying to be condescending, just helpful

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but I just recently learned that pose balls are no longer necessary.  Now there is at least one technical approach that makes them unnecessary, which you can read about here.  I think there are others.  I am excited about this and am preparing to completely redecorate my house.

This makes me think about how much SL has changed for the better in the five years I have been here.  We no longer need unsightly pose balls.  It hardly ever crashes now.  We have mesh.  We have sculpties.  We can wear up to five of any garment.  We can have multiple things attached to the same point.  We have a tattoo layer.  We have alpha layers.  Prims can be up to 64 m.  And there must be a lot more.

Oh yeah, nPose is great, but it's like using MLP or any such animation-engine; it takes some setting-up and getting used to.

But pose-balls were never "necessary" in this sense, they just offer the simplest way to package and position animations, especially co-ordinated ones like dances.  They also have the advantage that they do not need an animation-permission menu when you 'sit' on them.

If you care to take the time to set your house up differently any existing prim can contain and control ALL the animations you require.  The only requirement is one copy of the animation and one animation script per avatar, as any script may only hold animation permission for a single avatar at a time.  That is - to animate up to 10 avatars at a time you need a single copy of each animation and 10 animation scripts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.