Help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all...I'm new to second life. I've heard about it before (yeah I know, real late to the party) but I decided to do some research and have found myself very interested. However~

I have no fecking clue what I'm doing. It's all so overwhelming with the amount of options you have to do in the game and I'm excited to go exploring but I'm stuck on the welcome island. I'm assuming you're there to learn the controls,  how to build, chat etc....so far I've worked out how to fly, run, walk. Sit if there's a chair. I figured out how to make my avatar tall, skinny, fat...whatever. The eyes don't change, nor do any of the facial features...I'm assuming you have to buy them? But even so the net never loads the market place to add new skins or eyes. And every time I try to teleport, the game derps and says Darn...you're logged out. I don't know much about computers...so technical jargon will literally go right over my head. If you're going to explain, please use small words and be kind. I really like the idea of this "game" or virtual world...whatever you want to refer to it as...but it's depressing me because I can't work it out. Please help :(

I say Welcome too Naoki. 

And it is hard, especially if you are doing it on your own. Best advice I can give is to read what Jacki has given you and to keep asking questions.

Im still bad at flying :(

Dont know why you are having trouble teleporting..it should be easy.

Hey, welcome. Im new as well, but what really helped me was "googling" most of my questions, and noticed there are answeres for mostly everything. Also youtube tutorials. Its going to be a lot of reading and learning, but just stay persistant and it will all be worth the efforts!

NaokiSuzuhara wrote:

the net never loads the market place to add new skins or eyes. And every time I try to teleport, the game derps and says Darn...you're logged out. I don't know much about computers...so technical jargon will literally go right over my head. If you're going to explain, please use small words and be kind.

When I started SL I ddin't know **bleep** about computers, had a little 12' subnotebook which was hardly able to render SL on the lowest settings. Nowadays I'm rocking several systems, said goodbye to the capitalist bitches of Micro**bleep** and Apple, went to Linux and kinda know my way around in SL. But I'm in game since 7.5 years, so please don't expect you're all good once you managed to leave the friggin (un)welcome island.

About your probs: it all sounds like either too weak hardware or a bad interwebz connection, or a combination thereof. Might we bother you with the task to send your system specs to this thread? It'll help in diagnosis and possible solution of your problems. To do that just follow these steps:

- start your viewer (no matter which) but don't log in

- in menu click on Help - About [your viewer]

- copypaste the whole text into this thread.

In my case it looks like this:

Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.5 (5617) Jan 28 2014 23:30:38 (Singularity)

Release Notes

Grid: Second Life

Built with GCC version 40405

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU         650  @ 3.20GHz (3193 MHz)

Memory: 7980 MB

OS Version: Linux 3.14.13-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 18 09:02:40 UTC 2014 x86_64

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.24

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.6 c-ares/1.7.5 libidn/1.28

J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2

Audio Driver Version: (none)

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

And then pls conduct a speedtest to Dallas/TX, USA using this site:
and also copy the result in here.

By referencing to these figures some of the tech savvy guys here can maybe help you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.