Have Linden trees always been this reluctant to draw?

Data

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Despite having most of my graphics settings maxxed out, including trees, this is how close I can get to a Linden tree before it will draw fully. I know they've always been reluctant to draw, but have they always been this reluctant?

skinny-tree-002.jpg

I would not assume linden created game assets are the best available.

The lindens leave me constantly in awe with this virtual world they created. But they are not the best at making game assets. There's some incredible talents on the SL marketplace worth checking out. Probably some free stuff better than LL assets too. 

The only thing I would say is that trees etc are probably hosted with the native viewers, so probably don't have to be downloaded. One benefit I guess. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Just a usual case of value for money I think.

I don't know whether their rendering has changed; particularly. (Maybe Project Interesting changes something about how aggressively their LoDs are applied?) For your own viewer, however, you can make the LoD more permissive by increasing the Debug Setting "RenderTreeLODFactor".

I've always hated that "Eucalyptus Tree" in particular, and the "Plumeria" just for sheer ugliness, but it's pretty difficult to avoid Linden plants. And to be fair, they were pretty good assets compared to most anything else created way back at the beginning of SL. They also have some unique properties -- some good, some bad.

Before Materials, they were the only things around with alpha masks, so they don't cause the alpha-sorting problems. That's also why their leaf edges look kind of ragged.

Linden trees also used to sway in the wind. There was a debug setting for that, too, for years, but I guess it was decided that the effect wasn't worth the rendering lag consequences.

Linden grass has the unique property of adjusting itself to fit terrain, if it's planted on the edge of parcels, when the neighbor terraforms, the grass moves too.

Linden grass also has a unique and baffling bug: regardless of what species you plant, once the sim is restarted, they'll all be drawn as "Grass - tall 1" forever after.

All Linden plants can encroach several meters into a neighboring parcel without that neighbor being able to return the encroaching plant.

It's a pain that they can't be selected by dragging. On the other hand, that has the fortunate side-effect of (sometimes) keeping them out of coalesced objects where they make trouble.

Given all this weirdness, there's surely some built-in viewer functionality specific to handling Linden plants -- but that doesn't seem to include having their textures pre-loaded: they can take rather a long time to load into an emptied cache.

Thanks, Qie, for that thorough description. When you have tree detail set to max, that LOD setting is 1.0 (from a default of 0.5). A setting of 2.0 gives me what I'm looking for.

It's not so much a matter of me choosing plants as it is trying to get the plants other people have chosen to look their best for me. There are a lot of Linden plants in the world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.