Group spamming, hardcore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, there is this guy that goes into about 20 groups at a time, spamming lines so quickly that it lags many in the group, makes people leave the groups because SL doesn't have any proper way to ban from groups (be nice if they would finally put that freaking in already)

I do mean, hard spam, there is about few hundred lines of the same thing over and over. You can't even talk in it until you put them on mute. This guy has now created 20 accounts, new one every day lately because everyone mutes him, same name with a number at the end. Can't keep him out of groups. He's reported by many every day yet he keeps doing it over and over. It seems that AR is a waste of time, blocking is a waste of time, people are leaving many business groups because it's so bad.

How welse do we stop him? I don't own or have control of most of the groups, just a couple. It's getting very annoying. I have seen this guy do it for 2 years, others have been seeing this guy do it for longer but the new name creations every day is a new thing.

Linden Labs seems to do nothing, the accounts remain there

RavenSkye Waverider wrote:

So, there is this guy that goes into about 20 groups at a time, spamming lines so quickly that it lags many in the group, makes people leave the groups because SL doesn't have any proper way to ban from groups (be nice if they would finally put that freaking in already)

The group-ban function has been working in Viewer 3 and some TPV's since August.

As has been said my Elton John, "It's a sad, sad situation."  But, I'm afraid that the only thing that can be done is your (or the owner of the groups') continuous blocking of this person's alt accounts, once they expose themselves as such.  LL, by right of the TOS to which you've agreed, is not required to police this sort of nonsense, therefore, they never will.

...Dres

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

RavenSkye Waverider wrote:

The group-ban function has been working in Viewer 3 and some TPV's since August.

The OP isn't talking about anything that the group ban function is meant to address. Group ban will not also ban alts, which makes it entirely useless, as far as the OP is concerned.

...Dres

While group ban won't stop the alts. A combined tactic of group ban and abuse report - especially if done by a large number of people... will, with time, eventually get Linden Lab attention. At that point hopefully some action would be taken.

Many people do tactics like this thinking that "I don't care about what people think I should do, there's no rule against it and having no sense of ethics..." they do it.

- You can tell people like this all you want how they ought to behave... but until someone official warns them they might never change. But many of them will in fact change with as little as an official notice...

So AR them, and group ban them, and hope a Linden decides to investigate.

While the amount of effort it takes to get Linden attention on a problem can sometimes be absurdly unreasonable (and yet other times it can be instant) - if you DO succeed in getting their attention things tend to get dealt with, one way or another... (which does not mean always in one's favor).

As others have mention, there is now a "group bann" feature in SL groups.   Use that to start.

Next I recommend adding a group joining fee to any groups that are being spammed.  Even a fee as low as one to ten

lindens is effective, but higher is good too.  Spammers don't want to pay fees to join groups, so that usually stops it.

Another way is to have the group be invite only, and have those interested in joining contact the group admin, and then they're sent an invite.  This causes the group to grow slower, but also usually stops the spammers.

To recap:

1)   Bann from group any spammers

2) Have a Group Join fee

3)  Have group be invite to join

(number two on that list is the best for prevention, and group join fees can be used for group functions, land, events, etc...so everyone wins)

just adding on to what Celestiall said

if is a heavy use group meaning lots of people joining then can use a bot to monitor it

like bot sends group join autoinvite to sim vistors and monitors group chat activity. When is a spammer (which is pretty much a bot program doing the spamming) then your bot autobans the spammer bots

what happens is that the group server can get overloaded when is a bot battle. The LL engineers take notice of this. When the engineers get involved then the user account that is hoping to benefit from the spamming is in big trouble

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.