Lindal Kidd

Goodbye, Oskar Linden

[ Edited ]

Oskar got the axe.

Once again, LL fires the best and keeps the rest.

For more, see Daniel Voyager's blog.

Yes, there ARE great Mainland rentals...in Masocado, baby!
Read my blog! Across the Grid With Lindal Kidd
Honored Member
Ciaran Laval

Re: Goodbye, Oskar Linden

Reply to Lindal Kidd - view message

Yup very disappointing news that the rumours have been confirmed to be true, he was an excellent communicator.

Parhelion Palou

Reply to Ciaran Laval - view message

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Yup very disappointing news that the rumours have been confirmed to be true, he was an excellent communicator.

Communicating with the residents is apparently a firing offense at LL.

Peggy Paperdoll

Thank you Lindal.......that was the link I was looking for.  Finally.

Deltango Vale
Topics: 38

[ Edited ]

A phone call in the middle of the night? Vague grounds for dismissal?

I wish I could understand Linden Lab. It all started so well six years ago, then something happened and the company fell apart. Does anyone know the inside story? Is it a problem with the Board of Directors? Senior management? Both? I'd really appreciate some links to explain how such a promising company with such an amazing product got so messed up.

ETA:

Tangentially related, I found this link:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2012/10/linden-lab-2005-second-life-2nd-anniversary.html#more

Ela Talaj

Reply to Deltango Vale - view message

Who said it was in the middle of the night?

Elegant Solutions by The Gold Club
Ela Talaj

This is sad news. I cannot comment on the event itself without knowing particulars but Oscar was a qualified engineer and servers still need much work. I hope whoever takes over is no less qualified.

Elegant Solutions by The Gold Club
Topics: 75

(Time for one of the resident Doom-n-Gloomers to weigh in .. however I will try to stay out of the quagmire ...)

What struck me most about Oskar's description of his termination was the lack of advance notice and the manner in which it was delivered. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the usual professional approach to a termination is to provide some form of advance notice and to deliver news of this magnitude with a face-to-face discussion. There are of course exceptions, such as when an employee violates the Employment Moral Clause or some other similar egregious event precludes such protocols. Oskar does seem to indicate that LL's "Cause" for his termination was a conflict with a customer .. and that could perhaps be the precipitating event.

The "Skype Call" may have been the only form of face-to-face possible; I'm not familiar with how close to the home office he is located, so perhaps he could not be summoned in to the office to deliver the news. I'm willing to give a little ground there, especially in today's age of the Distributed Company.

But even with the above, I find it unsettling that there seems to have been little effort made to fully explain the circumstances. If Oskar did have a run-in of monumental proportions with a customer .. one that reached such a high pitch that LL felt their only recourse was to terminate him rapidly, I would have expected there to be more emotion in Oskar's post on SLU.

Ah well, the bottom line is that we know only the one side. Most definitely LL isn't going to chime in to justify their own decision. (Nor should they need to.)

Yet this feels ... wrong. I can't lay hard evidence on any one thing that brings me to that feeling, I can only state that no matter how I try to look at this incident, I keep arriving at a sensation of something more at play than some rapidly developing situation that could only be resolved with a termination.

We have seen LL make some radical changes in their management, employee cross-section, product support and development targets. We have watched the steady decline in "old blood" that had a solid understanding of the SL product and customer base. Rodvik has given very little voice to the future of SL itself, while at the same time putting a lot of effort into promoting their new titles and direction.

Perhaps this is just "one of those things" that happen in every company, and it really has no more significance than the accidental spilling of a cup of tea. And yet, I can't shake this feeling that this is another paper clip in the slowly building chain toward some sort of very significant final action.

Well .. whatever .. Oskar? Best of luck on your next landing spot. I can safely report that there are many times in life where the events we feel at the moment are very hurtful or damaging, can eventually turn into the best detours possible.

Member 16

Reply to Darrius Gothly - view message

can only go by what Oskar said himself. as you say linden never going to comment

based on what he write himself seems to me that Oskar view for SL and linden view been diverging for a while

has happened in  the past with other linden staff. something have to give when this happens. and like the reisdents then can know who do the giving. is same in any company this tho. is not just a linden disease

+

he done ok job did Oskar. he will be ok whereever he go from here

Boudicca Littlebird

[ Edited ]

Wow, he Imed lucinda a week or so ago, about her chat in the mesh group, he was clearly on the side of those attacking lucinda, so I didn't have a good view of him, he said he might ban luci from the mesh group, I stopped using the sandbox after our chat, but the odd thing is this is the third linden to be sacked a week or so after imming luci, this is very odd, I will try imming myself and see if I get banned, lots of you may have found him ok but I found him hostile to me and one of the reasons as to why I am giving up on sl. with him and the hostile red tops it was getting all to much.