Gaming Skills Region Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok here's my problem.

I'm trying to get to the new Skills Gaming Region ..I meet all their stated requirements, I live in the UK, has Payment Information on file, has cc details on file, is age verified, has contact address, billing address showing a UK address and yet when I try to access, I get this message.

02:11] Second Life: The region you're trying to visit contains unknown content, but your current preferences are set to exclude unknown content.

Has anyone come across this "unknown content" before and, if so, how do you change it? 

Thank you.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have exactly the same problem. The message I get tells me that unknown content is in the sim and my preferences are set to exclude unknown content, so I can't TP to the sim that Stormie can't get to. I've no idea what this "unknown content" setting in preferences is - I've never come across it. I can't see it in either the Advanced menu, the Develop menu, or in the Debug Settings. Apparently, even the owner of the sim can't get there.

I was wondering if there's something odd in that particular sim but, since other people can actually go to it, that doesn't seem likely.

If anyone would like to try it to see what happens, the SLurl is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fish%20Bowl/220/128/22

The account checker for skill gaming access is picky. Of three accounts with payment info I've tried, only one can get in.

The account that can get in has current payment info. The ones that can't get in, I set up with payment info years ago, and the cards would be long expired by now, and entered a couple of LL payment systems ago, so the billing addresses could be wonky too. All the accounts were adult verified and all that years ago.

If I felt the need to gamble with those avatars, I think the first thing I would try is to re-enter billing and contact info, to make sure the system is referencing up-to-date information. If it still failed, I'd try my luck with support and hope a sentient being is assigned the ticket (some LL support people are excellent, others seem to answer tickets without having seen a computer before, let alone SL).

Very wary of asking LL for help,  did that once and they shut my account for 6 weeks...was so not worth it.   But you do seem to verify what others in world are saying...its just a total random thing..some can, some cant.   Interesting theory about updating billing information.   Will give that a shot.   Thanks.

This is what LL says:

Why can’t I access a Skill Gaming Region?

There are a number of reasons you may not be able to access a Skill Gaming Region, including:

• Your jurisdiction may not be permitted by Linden Lab for this activity.
  • If you are in a permitted jurisdiction for this activity, you may not meet its requirements. Whenever you attempt to access a Skill Gaming Region, we check certain pieces of your account information against the requirements of our policy, including your billing address, age, and the location from which you are logging into Second Life. If this information is not available or does not satisfy the requirements, you will not be able to access the region.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Skill_Gaming_FAQ#Why_can.E2.80.99t_I_access_a_Skill_Gaming_Region.3F

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I find it interesting that they have cut off 1/5th of the US (ten states) from even entering the Skilled Gaming Regions. That's a lot of people to just tell, we don't want you here. And you can't go for entertainment or shopping or anything.

That's not LL doing that, it is the laws within those states doing that. LL has no control over it whatsoever.

Thanks but that's the reason for my post.   I live in the UK, not one of the banned 10 States.... I have Payment Information on file... I am age verified..my billing address is up to date and shows a UK address... so having passed all their criteria to enter,  the only thing remaining is this.. If this information is not available or does not satisfy the requirements, you will not be able to access the region.   So as all this information is available to them, but does not satisfy their requirements, Im trying to find out what will satisfy.

Stormie Windlow wrote:

Thanks but that's the reason for my post.   I live in the UK, not one of the banned 10 States.... I have Payment Information on file... I am age verified..my billing address is up to date and shows a UK address... so having passed all their criteria to enter,  the only thing remaining is this..
If this information is not available or does not satisfy the requirements,
you will not be able to access the region.   So as all this information is available to them, but does not satisfy their requirements, Im trying to find out what will satisfy.

Odd question perhaps but is your IP address perhaps showing something nowhere near your registered address, or in a place that does not meet the requirements even? I can imagine that might muck things up now and then. I know my IP has me all over the place, occasionally real close to where I actually live, but most of the time hundreds if not thousands of miles away..including other countries. It's random as all get out sometimes(but I have a terrible ISP/cable company).

If not that, I honestly have no idea, it seems extremely random. I can check it myself when I log in, I haven't checked to see if I could get in yet.(and I meet all the requirements as well). You very well may be left up to contacting support, unfortunately.

ETA: I just checked, and I can get in fine. Hopefully everyone that wants to and can't, will resolve it quickly.

Stormie Windlow wrote:

I live in the UK, not one of the banned 10 States.... I have Payment Information on file... I am age verified..my billing address is up to date and shows a UK address...

Are you a Premium member?

How were you age-verified? Did you use the Aristotle service or submit ID prior to the Date of Birth change?

lol oh God I do hope not, but that was a great point about my IP..no its not a proxy and its showing the area I live in...give or take a few miles..I guess just have to wait n see what developes after the 1st.   If a lot get this problem, Im sure LL will state clearer what will satisfy them.   Owners are going to lose out big time from the high rollers I know that will no longer be allowed in, so Im sure they'll do everything they can to get the ones in that are allowed.

No not a premium member.  Yes I am age verified.   To be honest it was so many years ago I cant recall exactly what I did.  I do know it was a lot of faffin back and forth and finally got in.  But food for thought, will update all that information again and see if that helps

Thanks everyone for your input.   It is appreciated.

This is a generic comment and not a reply to you, Stormie.

If the reason why some people can't access the sim is due to personal data, then why is SL telling us that the sim contains "unknown content" and our Preferences are currently set to "exclude unknown content"? I don't believe it's anything to do with personal data.

What on earth is unknown content, anyway?

Tari Landar wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I find it interesting that they have cut off 1/5th of the US (ten states) from even entering the Skilled Gaming Regions. That's a lot of people to just tell, we don't want you here. And you can't go for entertainment or shopping or anything.

That's not LL doing that, it is the laws within those states doing that. LL has no control over it whatsoever.

LL could lock people out of playing the games, but they chose to lock people out of whole regions. There is a big difference. And me being on SL and not playing is no different than me being in the same region and not playing, no difference at all, none at all, no matter how you sugar coat it.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

What on earth is unknown content, anyway?

Skill gaming content?  :smileyvery-happy:

maybe is like gambling on horse races

i read this thing once about people who bet on horses. like:

horse bettors are nutso. They bet their money on horses they never seen. Ridden by people they dont know. At places they never been

jejejeje (:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.