GREAT work Renn Yifu!!! - New Library Avatars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did a little checking. The new robots and new animal avatars do not show (yet) in the avatar choices for 2.x Basic mode. Only the Humans. Not sure if they are choices for brand new avatars to start with, as I am unwilling to bother creating a new alt right now to check it out. Hopefully these new choices will be visible in Basic mode soon.

I looked over several of the robot avatars, and wasn't that impressed. the mechanical design of them just seemed sort of random, and didn't strike me as particularly good robot designs. But a robot form is one I wouldn't choose to wear anyway, so my opinion of them is skewed to begin with.

The dog and cat animal avatars are quad form, and rather nice, though the cat is as big as a German Shepherd Dog - way out of scale, if you want to be a realistic quad kitty. I think all the rest are bipeds, including the unicorn. Some, like the female unicorn, only have one gender version. As free starter avatars go, they are pretty good, using simple sculpts for the head, ears, paws, etc.. Compared to some of the furry avatars that you can purchase, it's no contest - the purchasable avatars are much nicer. But these free ones are a big step up from the typical freebie fox or whatever that is based on prim-only methods from 4 or 5 years ago. Definitely a nicer starting point than we used to have for furries. The only real problem will be if they hide it and don't tell newbies that those neat avatars are in the library. They already have them tucked an extra layer deeper, where it's easy to miss them.

• Lindens

You guys are shaaaaaaaarp. 'Tis awesome thy art so observant, I've shared your nice words with the Experience Design team at Linden Lab who worked with the Resident creators to make these avatars possible! They come in response to requests over time for diversity — not just diversity for its own sake, but in a world like SL, so much is possible... why not show more of that off from the get-go? I think you may have noticed our CEO, Rod, dropping some clues in previous interviews that this was gonna happen. AND SO IT HAS. PROPHECY FULFILLED.

Anyway, yeah, we plan to make these available in the registration flow and avatar selector so all new Resis will have the choice of being a windup robot, scampering freely on all fours, etc.

These aren't all, stay tuned for more surprises...

I absolutely love the robot and vehicle avatars, they're extremely well done.

The anthro animal avatars seem a bit odd. Like the attachments, as well made as they are, were slapped on a shape they weren't meant for. The arms on said shape are a bit too short, too.

Still, the prim parts are well made and additional diversity is fantastic. I'd love to see the human avatars brought up to a higher level of quality. Not to mention brought down in size, the current human starters are all around 7' tall!

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.