Facebook disabling SL accounts

drakeos99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yet few of my friend's has their facebook disabled due to fake identity and names.... yet which they need to stop

When will LL tell facebook to leave us be .... im sick of remaking my FB account everytime they disable my account for what only using Second Life ...

drakeos99 wrote:

Yet few of my friend's has their facebook disabled due to fake identity and names.... yet which they need to stop

When will LL tell facebook to leave us be .... im sick of remaking my FB account everytime they disable my account for what only using Second Life ...

i didtnt know facebook deleted accounts o.O i started out with a fake facebook name because I didnt want my family to find out i was useing it because they were really against me getting it for some reason 

You do not have to use your real name on Facebook, despite what they tell you. You only have to use a name that seems like a real name. This obviously excludes using your Second Life name, since a SL name can almost never be identical to your legal name.

The only other ways to link your SL character name to your Facebook account is to create a page for your SL character as a Fictional Character page or by using your SL name as a nickname for your legal name self. To me, linking my SL account name to my RL legal name would defeat the spirit of freedom & anonymity in SL. Using my legal name on FB would also be counter to my ability to speak & associate freely online, without fear of RL reprisals.

Persephone Emerald wrote:

This obviously excludes using your Second Life name, since a SL name can almost never be identical to your legal name.

My SL name is shared by several RL people, and I have an alt account almost identical to my real name. Several of my friends have SL names which could be, or are, perfectly normal names. Several of the most common surnames (excluding 'Resident') are perfectly normal Anglo names... Allen, Carter, Bailey, Kidd, Beck and McMillan, for example.

"When will LL tell facebook to leave us be.."? Why do you invoke LL? This has nothing to do with LL or Second LIfe.

Facebook requires that users sign up using their real life names, as in the name on their driver's license if they happen to have one. According to everything I've read on their pages and others, that is made quite clear from the start. Those who created accounts for their SL avatars did so in the certain knowledge those accounts were against the rules. I personally wouldn't create a Facebook account for my can opener, let alone my avator or my real life self, so I don't get the whole bit. But I do at least understand they have their own quite well known rules.

If someone creates an account for a non-real-life name and that account gets deleted, it's to be expected. There sure isn't any reason to complain.

drakeos99 wrote:

Well cause all those hard earn pics taken in SL gets deleted also even video's that gets recorded gone and wasted for nothing is kinda unfair tbh ..

Hard earn pics taken? Really? lol

It takes you even less time to save them to your computer than it does to put them on FB. So, there's no reason why, should your account get deleted by FB(which it can when you use false info to create an account, of course) you will lose everything. Save stuff to your system, or a drive like most folks do.

drakeos99 wrote:

I have NOT broken ANY rules tbh by making a second life facebook account (i already have RL one aswell) but i do sometimes post my RL pictures on my SL facebook aswell 

Yes you have, unless you use your rl information for your sl av's account.

drakeos99 wrote:

I have NOT broken ANY rules tbh by making a second life facebook account (i already have RL one aswell) but i do sometimes post my RL pictures on my SL facebook aswell 

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook.

2. You will not create more than one personal account.

3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.

Oh well, Facebook has always been against avatars. It's hard to integrate your database with the NSA when half the accounts are "Second Lives".....

On another note, check out the Avatar Social Network which a freind of mine created. It's been a massive success and I'd say it has even better features than facebook:

https://www.avatarsocialnetwork.com/

Btw I am not a benificiary in this site - just a recommendation! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Flickr is a far better place for SL pics than Facebook. There are hundreds of groups in Flickr for SL, you can make as many accounts as you want and none of them need to be in your RL name.

If you really must use FB, make a "page" for your SL avatar. You can even switch from one to another to make comments in your SL name.  Honestly, FB will not listen to Linden Lab no matter how hard they might beg.  Facebook earns money by selling your RL data to advertisers and they don't want fictional characters included in that.  And FB is much, much bigger and more powerful than SL.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.