Ebbe Linden Keynotes Highlights – VWBPE 2014

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Blah blah blah heard the same wooing of the residents from every CEO so far and only Philip delivered half of what he promised before disappearing so I'll wait a year before this post is a real discussion piece.  

Do you see one definitive commitment to resolve something in any of the bullet points or just recognitions of existing problems?

Sy Beck wrote:

Blah blah blah heard the same wooing of the residents from every CEO so far and only Philip delivered half of what he promised before disappearing so I'll wait a year before this post is a real discussion piece.  

Do you see one definitive commitment to resolve something in any of the bullet points or just recognitions of existing problems?

If you are directing that question specifically to me, I haven't listened to his talk yet and it may be a few days befor I get to.

I myself like the general tone of the bullet points.

Right now also I know of at least three incidents or issues he has stepped in to deal with so I am encouraged by that.  And while I know actions talk louder than words actually he is being more open with us than we have seen from the past two CEO's.  That's a plus too.

I attended. I remain provisionally impressed with his sincerity and competence -- not just because of what he says but when he says it and how he follows through on it.

One telling moment -- after an hour, the moderator said time was officially up but he could continue if he liked. He said he would love to continue. And he did. 

I almost get the impression that SL is not just a stepping stone to Something Better but that he actually understands it (us) cares about it (us).  

I know we have all been bitterly disappointed in the past, so the skepticism is warranted.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

If you are directing that question specifically to me, I haven't listened to his talk yet and it may be a few days befor I get to.

I myself like the general tone of the bullet points.

Right now also I know of at least three incidents or issues he has stepped in to deal with so I am encouraged by that.  And while I know actions talk louder than words actually he is being more open with us than we have seen from the past two CEO's.  That's a plus too.

Wasn't addressed to you no, but to the subject.  But addressing your points every CEO has "spoken" to us and said that they are "listening" to us and yet we still have long outstanding issues.  All his bullet points are non-committal just recognitions with no promises or indications of action.  But I'll be fair and give him a year to put his stockholders money where our mouth is, though I'm old and cynical now and don't hold out much hope.  And I'll give him 3 months before he tires of "listening" to us and seeks solace in the whisperings of LL's accountants.

I think he is being pretty up front -- he said, no, the customer is often not right, not necessarily about what needs to be done/fixed/improved but in how it should be done. And that engaging in communications with the customer can very costly, which I know many people are not aware of. But that nevertheless he wants feedback and wants to communicate -- which on a couple of recent occasions he has done. 

Thanks for putting up the transcript Inara.

Two things of most interest to me:

"The current terms might indicate that we might somehow have some plan to steal people’s content and somehow profit from it for ourselves, without benefitting the creator, and that’s obviously not our intent at all. It would be very damaging to our business if we started to behave in that way because this whole platform is all about the content you all create."

This sums up what I've always felt about the TOS - basically that as badly worded and open for interpretation as it is, you can usually count on a corporation to act in its own best interests, and helping themselves to our stuff would be pretty terrible for their reputation and image.

"Weirdly enough , when I got here, there was actually a policy telling employees that they could not be in-world as a Linden; so we reversed that policy a couple of weeks ago."

This is...odd. I can't fathom why they'd have a policy like that in the first place, and Ebbe himself seems a little puzzled by it. At least its reversed, now.

And on a personal note, its totally cool to see my own work at use in that auditorium. His comments about "we did all this together!" makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :D

I really like the directions he is wanting to go ,as well as opening back up to the community..

I love that he made it known that cutting us off from communications was a mistake..leaving us out here feeling like we were abandon,which we were..

I'm looking forwad to seeing what happens..

I know some say talk is cheap,but if i had to lay out the value of sounding like who knows what?

I would say he sounds worth more than the last two put together..(not phil but the other two)

he sounds confident,where i didn't feel that with the others..

As well as sounds like he can see mistakes made in the past and has a good idea of how to work with those in the future

All in all,he left me feeling confident in him,,

KK,now lets get down to biddnisss..

EBBE!! Where is MAH BEAR!?

hehehe

Here's my favorite quote from Daniel's blog of the keynote, it's so very true...

Do your Agile teams decide what to work on each week?

We want to do more than we have been. It takes a lot of resources and time to engage in that conversation, and that is a cost. Many are not up to speed on the topic, are biased, or are not experienced. It can add a lot of cost to involve everyone in design. We want to be more transparent. We want feedback, to learn from you, to correct things. We learn from watching what you do, not listening to what you say, in general. The customer is often wrong when asking for something specific. When they express a need, that’s right. When they tell us how to meet that need, it’s often wrong.”

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Here's my favorite quote from Daniel's blog of the keynote, it's so very true...

Do your Agile teams decide what to work on each week?

We want to do more than we have been. It takes a lot of resources and time to engage in that conversation, and that is a cost. Many are not up to speed on the topic, are biased, or are not experienced. It can add a lot of cost to involve everyone in design. We want to be more transparent. We want feedback, to learn from you, to correct things. We learn from watching what you do, not listening to what you say, in general. The customer is often wrong when asking for something specific. When they express a need, that’s right. When they tell us how to meet that need, it’s often wrong.”

it is and this is what i really liked about how he spoke..

Like he has been there before and is confident about where he is going..

I do sometimes think talk is much more than cheap when someone sounds experienced and not doing a lot of ,um umm umm ahhh yaa umm okaaay..

He sounds like he knows what he is doing and actually has a schematic of things, rather than just one or two lines of direction..

i was excited about Rod when he got here,but that was coming off of the M era..

That is not a put down to Rod because i think he did do a lot of really good stuff..

This guy just is exciting to me like Phillip was exciting to me..

just feel confidence in his words from just a first impression..a good hour and a half first impression and keeping me glued..hehehehe

I look forward to hearing more of what he has to say and can't wait to see what he does..:smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.