Do you ever get bored of SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Randall Ahren wrote:

No, I was replying to you. I think you read this quote in someone's profile or a variant thereof and decided it was true:

[T]ime you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

-Marthe Troly-Curtin, Phrynette Married 

Then you were mistaken. It came right of my head at the time I wrote the post. And, for what it's worth, I do believe it to be true. If I'd wanted to quote someone's profile, I would have done, as I think you did. But I wrote "Enjoying yourself is not a waste of time" - my own thinking and my own words.

Sy Beck wrote:

I rarely partake in SL any more.  Not because of boredom, but because there are more exciting things to do online than SL.  I return once in a while because of the wonderful people I met here when SL was an exciting place to be.

SL is as exciting as it ever was. There are still the romances, the torrid affairs, the betrayals, the love triangles, the business plans that failed miserably, the zombies, the griefers, the lies, the laughter and the tears. The boredom is in you, it's not in the world. And when the boredom grows too large to contain, you die, never to login again.

According to Søren Kierkegaard, boredom dates to the beginning of humanity. The gods were bored, so they created humans. That's why we're here, because of boredom.

• 1 month later...

It is not a matter of getting bored of SL, it is a matter of getting bored of certain activities on SL.

We are all human in RL, and humans will get bored or lose interest in certain activities. In that case, take a break. Come back later and you may be more interested.

Some activities are not a matter of interest or boredom. For example, I attend church services some Sundays and some weekdays in SL, as well as in RL. They are certainly not exciting, but I like attending them, both in SL and RL. (I know and understand that it is not for everybody). I go to them (SL and RL) because I like to, but RL activities (Sunday with my family and weekdays due to work) often get in the way.

Likewise, discussion groups on topics I am interested in, particularly professional, are interesting and I get involved in them both in SL and RL. 

Other activities have to be exciting or at least very interesting. Regarding these, sometimes I get bored with them. I quit doing them for a while and then may regain interest and start getting involved again. There is no real difference between SL and RL activities.

Marybeth

• 4 years later...

I haven't been on Second life for a very long time. Its become a very bad impersonation to what is was, Im 10 years old in it, and find, now, the social inter activeness seen in stores, or clubs is missing. Stores dont have real owners now, only BOTs... Every one seems now to nervous to talk to anyone, hence for me, the days of 2010 has long gone, while rents and land remain at such a price struggling residents like me in the UK with a weak pound to the US$ makes buying Linden$ a no no. So linden labs actual turnover is probably falling and falling. While the likes of Transport Tycoon on Steam provide creator made Airliners, ships , cargos, and cities to build, SL is falling behind the gaming market even faster. When I managed dance clubs, dancers made a 1000L a week, now dancers are dying out, while AFK dolls unfairly make money for sick owners, while not even being in second life. The Days I used to spend , my last was 2018, which was a waste of time despite putting 600 hours into a project, and £300 + in rent and objects, just wasn't enough residents to go around. Every time i re install Firestorm, within 7 days I uninstall it again, as there is nothing to do. Im a combat sim person from Remembrance, once a 12 sim lycan, vampire, etc combat sim.  All these combat sims have gone, mainly because of teen grid being merged. Owners of sims struggled to  keep teens from breaking rules set in concrete, more than one tearful owner of a a full  paid for sim, packed up in a month, citing enormous stress trying to implement combat skills and rules, which these teens, unlike in 2010 abided by, or were punished. Todays teens dont understand humility or want to be governed by rules made for the benefit of every player being treated as an equal, and fairness against an opponent. Gorean continues to forcefully put insane rules, that causes so much confusion, hardly anyone is seen in them even in valkerie Forests.  Rape and pillage is not acceptable these days, and thats what Gor is all about. If it was Game Of Thrones, with defined sim complexes, with the North, the Crownlands, Kings landing, and Dorne spread over 12 sims. that would be worth pledging support to a house. but there is no will left for people to pay out 800$ for one sim, that may hardly break even let alone make a profit.  Time for a new platform that is affordable to most people on average incomes, not like SL which is for the rich only, on handsome incomes. Like many Im now retired. My income is fixed pension government amount. I have to work to a tight budget, and that doesnt include paying vast amounts of money to LL unless I see a reasonable return for my investment.

Of course the main reason for its decline is outdated grid system, which makes sailing or driving or flying hard. Until LL get their finger out and make seamless oceans for cruisers and long haul airliner Flights, second life will remain the dinosaur it is. LL has no further interest in what is needed, they just sit back and let the BOTS take over.

Edited by Michaelatv Destiny
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

Rape and pillage is not acceptable these days

IKR?

I was having lunch with Attila, Eric the Red, and Tamerlane the Great the other day, and they were saying exactly the same thing!

"Hey you kids! That giant pyramid of skulls isn't going to build itself!"

O tempora!, O mores!

Young people these days. Yeesh.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

IKR?

I was having lunch with Attila, Eric the Red, and Tamerlane the Great the other day, and they were saying exactly the same thing!

"Hey you kids! That giant pyramid of skulls isn't going to build itself!"

O tempora!, O mores!

Young people these days. Yeesh.

Well. No wonder the MacLeods have been in such a bad mood these last few centuries. You didn't invite Olaf the Black! Or even Leod for that matter. For shame!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Are you playing in SL? Where? Can I buy my own and play? 

10L at his shop or win it for free in artifact hunt at his shop...*

*bench not included (but I think he sells that as well)

And yes it is playable and the mesh item itself even modable (which allowed me to stuff mine into a holodeck system that rezzes different games on demand)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

There used to be Mark I versions of Mah Zhong on tables in Ahern ages ago.  I remember playing it as a newbie.  I may even have a copy deep in my inventory, come to think of it.  It was impressive at the time, though it probably looks clunky by today's standards.

17 minutes ago, JJack Montreal said:

The SL aristocracy hang here and they are really bored... Higher their resident score, higher the boredom factor.

Hence, the reason why we are all in SL and enjoying ourselves after all this time.  🙃  Wait... we're aristocrats?  Where's my secret ID card and my key to the aristocrat's washroom?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JJack Montreal said:

You are at the right place to ask this question. The SL aristocracy hang here and they are really bored... Higher their resident score, higher the boredom factor.

We are just better than most at multi-tasking.  I'm often running around in SL on one monitor and skimming the forums on another.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JJack Montreal said:

I am an SL billionaire i can afford what i want. I made the gallow and the rope, costed nothing. And you exactly the stereotype to be used with.

Yes yes, whatever. Fine.

But, in my capacity as a "stereotype" and an "SL aristocrat," I'd still like you to wear a shirt while lynching me.

It's all so vulgar otherwise.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:04 AM, Michaelatv Destiny said:

now dancers are dying out, while AFK dolls unfairly make money for sick owners, while not even being in second life.

Not to mention the sad "stripper" doll you had in your last project and you complained about nobody tipping...

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.