Dealing with the Goonsquad Object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Goonsquad object is a spam generator that mailicious residents leave on your land.  It will infect anyone who comes on your land and you will get objects spamming across the top of your viewer.  Here is how I got rid of it.

1. Click World, About Land, Objects, Refresh bottom pane to see the name of the resident who left the object.

2. Click on the object owner and the return objects.

3. Report that person to Linden labs: Help, Report Abuse

4. Ban that resident from your land: About Land, Access

5. Block the object: Communicate, Block List, Block Object by Name

6. Your avi will be contaminated, so remove all clothes, detach all attachments, skins, etc down to the bare avi, and add back again from inventory

I just cleared my cache and re-logged on and it took care of the problem, however the place I went to was infected and told the owner and he is aware and has told Linden Labs yesterday about this so as of right now JStyle is infected with this.

They got me yesterday. I went to a land that I thought was a hair store. when I TP'd home I had a million object request and pop-up toasts.  I did not accept the object or rez anything but clicking on "ignore" just seemed to self perpetuate more object request.  Next thing I knew everyone on the whole parcel was infected. How the hell do they do that !

This is me completely stuck and crashing due to the million object boxes .. grrrrrr

Oh and by the way there were no ojects on my land or attached to my avi as far i I could see. It just went away when I cleared my cache

goon squad.PNG

Also tell the sim-owner (if it isn't LL owned) to turn rezzing off on the parcel. 

I don't think that would have helped much in this case, and further disabling object entry is only a bit better (although possibly enough to deter this specific instance). In general, auto-return needs to be enabled to have much effect on such griefing. It's not perfect either, but it takes a bit more sophistication to defeat. [ETA: ... and any griefing that can defeat auto-return can certainly get around no-rez and no-object-entry, so those settings are pretty much useless as anti-griefing measures if the landowner can enable auto-return. They however can be useful for purposes unrelated to griefing, or when auto-return cannot be enabled on a parcel.]

[ETA2: That assumes the parcel is on Mainland, which I understood to be the extent of this attack. A void-surrounded island Estate sim could get by with just no-rez on every parcel... umm... subject to the same limitations as auto-return.]

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.