Kervin Karu
Topics: 6

Dangers in sl?

Hey I'm making an alt currently and so I made the username my real name, not knowing it would be displayed across the grid to anyone and everyone (thanks for the warning btw sl) so I'm wondering if thats safe?  I plan to use this avatar for business stuff strictly, not planning on doing anything perverted or any roleplay / relationships.  Should I make a new avatar with a different username or do you think this is safe?

Ceera Murakami
Topics: 9

Re: Dangers in sl?

Reply to Kervin Karu - view message

Well, even if you never do anything social or intimate with that account, it still puts you at a disadvantage, because you're giving out your real name, and 99% of those around you are not doing that. If your business thrives and people know that's your real name on display, that's one less barrier to someone who might try to steal funds from your account.

If this was a business-only grid where everyone logged in with their real name, it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't do it in an environment where most others remain anonymous.

Honored Resident
Ceres

I personally have a much older Avatar that has my real name but that account is strictly for RL works. It was a required process by the company we were affiliated with. I never used it for anything else than entering the company's sim and no way related to my other avatars.

If you do not have anything to hide and would like to make a name in the SL business, I suppose it won't hurt. I've seen some RL names here and with their RL business, job title and company's address. I'd say follow your instinct. When in doubt, don't do it.

Tucking Ceres to sleep.
Mayalily
Topics: 87

[ Edited ]

Is it closed business meetings?  But even if that, I don't consider that particularly "safe".

This is only my opinion.  We had a hacker break into our Paypal account once already in our lifetime, and I hope that never happens again.  How these hackers do these things, I have no idea?  This could have been someone who once worked for Paypal when it happened to my rl bf and I, who knows? 

Why exactly do you think you need your real name shown since you are asking the question? 

ETA:  The authorities may know who did this hacking into Paypal, but they never told us who it was.  They charged a bunch of things on goodwill.com including beds and other items, and we (my rl bf and I) never heard of nor ever visited goodwill.com.

The authorities never even told us what happened.  It all just happens on the credit card end.  But it was scary.  Be wary. 

Ceka Cianci

if this is an alt account then i don't know what LL could have said that you didn't see from your other user name..they were always shown in public in some way.

i think it is as safe as a secrete..

it's just another name unless you let people know it's your real name..

i never look at anyone and say..i wonder if that is their real name..

so i think it's as safe as you present it to the grid..

“Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind. To be happy, rest like a giant tree in the midst of them all”― Siddhartha Gautama
My Flickr
Venus Petrov
Topics: 74

I agree with Ceka.  I this is an alt, surely you knew that your 'name' would be the one that you use as your avatar.  You can make yet another alt account and use it for your business and cancel the one with your RL name if you like.

Safe is up to you to decide.

=== Start and end your day with a smile ===
Kervin Karu

First of all I didn't know my username would be displayed, that's why I made it my real name.  And sl gives you no heads up for this.  I certianly don't have anything to hide, I just don't particularly want (perverted) stalkers especially because I'm young and probably a target.  And this wouldn't be for meetings or anything,  I plan on using the account for script creation to sell in world.  I am a college student and when I graduate (CS Degree) I plan to obviously do more with code so using my real life name could be more professional as coding is my future in and out of world.  Not really sure what to do.

Kervin Karu

I think the reason why I've never realised username = display name is because I've used an old viewer which perhaps doesn't support username & display names being viewed.  I've never seen anyone without an old school first and last name.  I also just rejoined after a year break last month... Dunno when this change took place though.

Ceka Cianci

i would say if it worries you then have it deleted and then make a new alt..there is no reason to have an added stress if you can just remove it and make a different one..

“Praise and blame, gain and loss, pleasure and sorrow come and go like the wind. To be happy, rest like a giant tree in the midst of them all”― Siddhartha Gautama
My Flickr
Ceka Cianci

Kervin Karu wrote:

I think the reason why I've never realised username = display name is because I've used an old viewer which perhaps doesn't support username & display names being viewed.  I've never seen anyone without an old school first and last name.  I also just rejoined after a year break last month... Dunno when this change took place though.

is this a display name you made? or the user name?

if it's a display name you can change it in like 5 days to something else..if it is a user name..that is what you would see in the older viewers if it was a V1 viewer and not the V2..

My Flickr