Crazy how most people aren't here to really chat

Kaidin Ulrik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, there was a time that I was intimidated when it came to posting anything other than a vague observation here in the forums. The vitriol that some seemed to have against anyone with an opinion was ridiculous. (That seems to be a theme from MY High School days...lol) I don't care so much anymore about the bullies.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

I'm the dork in his shell of the family and my tech-guru inside is bored with reality =x

I now love chess hated it when i was younger. but I don't love it for actually playing it, it's more so knowing how kick as my mental strategy in life is becoming.... it really is an artform.... don't mind my tongue as I'm not a prude when it comes to language.

Star Wars bores me for the most part the only thing I've really like was Yoda in 3d stomping darth maul.

Lool at my school we had a lot of that, and it was 'the white boys trying to be black"

On the other side I was the blackie on the outside, white guy on the inside.

I was a runner and played baseball, was going to be in theater but sports meant well more to me.

LMAO at the instructor!!! OWNAGE!!!

Being pretty was overrated back then so don't worry, us real guys wanted the girl we knew was going to be a good woman and mother.

And the hairspray brigade hasn't changed much, things for them will always be the guys their looks get in bed. (the popular pretty girls aren't really so pretty as they were the ones who were easy for the poser thug!)

Yeah it was absolute crap, but there was nothing like it looking back, if only it had been all it could be!! OMG THE IMAGINATION IN THE STATEMENT IS LIKE NO OTHER!

As crazy as it sounds, now in the UK its all about spray tans and teeth, more than makeup and hair (but the makeup applying abilities of the young seems to have gone to the dogs).

I was a good wife and mother to my husband (thats what you get for marrying someone half a generation younger ;P ) - wasn't sure whether I should tongue out or lol just there (lol).

I sometimes visit the "welcome" areas in Second Life, especially if I'm in a nostalgia trip mood.  All would usually be quite quiet if I sat on one of the Korea sims, atop a lamp post, but when I once switched on voice, I was overwhelmed with the repetative rhubarb that floated out of the surrounding avatar's air space. Voice went back off and silence came back on for me.

A friend of mine used to say they could tell when I wasn't really paying attention to them (or anything in SL in that moment), because my avatar used to get "a starey look" !

Sport - I liked to play hockey, and I like skating. Ideally I'd have loved to have been an ice hockey player, but feared getting my front teeth knocked out.  The irony when my front teeth got damaged in an unfortunate accident/incident where a highly polished lift lobby floor met with my fizzog. (kissing the feet of the dentist who repaired my smile, bless her).

Yoda is adorable. I did go see "Attack of the Clones", but only remember Yoda and his wonderful way of

back to front talk, do I

or something like that, and where that snooty robot got "accidentally" shoved onto a conveyor belt *sniggers*.

We also have the white boys trying to be black. Looks and sounds wrong. And all the girls lilt their voices to accentuate the ends of each sentence like they are asking a question rather than making a statement. Thats just wrong also.

And tattoos - unsure how I feel about tattoos. Mostly I think I like them, but if people are having them just to get attention, they're barking up the wrong tree as they're more likely to blend in with the world as it is now than us non-tattooed people.

David Beckham has got a lot to answer for (apparently).

I once walked through a pound store in my home town, and some woman shouted for her kids who had got lost within the vast toy department "Sigourney ... Levi ..."

David Beckham has got a lot to answer for (apparently).

Sound of silence from this quarter for 24 hours or so - self-inflicted solitary confinement for me starts in about an hour's time.

Be well, Agent Ulrik.

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Honestly, there was a time that I was intimidated when it came to posting anything other than a vague observation here in the forums. The vitriol that some seemed to have against anyone with an opinion was ridiculous. (That seems to be a theme from MY High School days...lol) I don't care so much anymore about the bullies.

Gawd yes, me too. My very first post(s) got shot down in flames I seem to recall.

No one can get along with absolutely everyone - not even Kylie Minogue (or David Beckham!) and I'm sure they're lovely people.

The bullies don't give themselves much of a head start in the popularity stakes though.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Gawd yes, me too. My very first post(s) got shot down in flames I seem to recall. 

I loved that back in the RA forum. When I arrived there I was already using traffic bots and I loved arguing the toss with some of the forumites. The thing is, I shot back, and it was all very pleasurable. It was made even more so when I made and started to sell a temp-rezzer, because some people had a bee in their bonnet about those things too :)

Data wrote:

The volume of discussion here is way down from when SL was more popular. The old General forum used to get a page and a half worth of updated threads in the time I spent at work. I doubt there are that many non-advertising threads updated on the whole site these days.

If it's just chat you're looking for, this particular forum has another problem for you: the people still interested in SL are generally not very outgoing.

I'm keying off of what you said here to begin my response to the OP.

You are right, the old Forum was livelier.  But if you think back a lot of those updates were ongoing flame wars.  Some people could not post anything with out getting attacked.  There was really no moderation.  And it could get very tedious to try and discuss anything because the fights and disagreements took over the threads.  It was like the Hatfields and McCoys. 

On the other side now in this Forum we do have moderation.  My opinion is while it was needed it is too heavy handed.  Some people get their panties in a wad way too easy and are too fast on the RIC button.

Both extremes kill discussion.

And then we could add to this people who want to rule over this Forum.  They could be the worst thing that happens here but what can we do about it?  Add to this what do we do about people who post truly idiotic things.  How about the entitlement Generation who think LL or the Merchants or the Land Lords owe them something?  It sadly can all be very problematic.

But getting specifically to Kaiden's comments, it sounds like you want this Forum to function like a Chat Room and I honestly don't know how it can.  Certainly at times Threads go off on tangents and side discussions happen.  But if that happened in every Thread it could make following a topic very difficult.  Even if all the banter was friendly it could be just as distracting from the subject at hand as a flame war could be. 

If I want to chat with someone in this Forum I use the private message function.  Actually I use it quite frequently.  I find it works much better than bogging down a Thread with a side discussion.

eta:shpelling

just gotta recreate it, all it takes is a few people who really like to just let go in convo to draw a crowd.... as post replies build people will peek to see if they can find someone who will carry dialog!

Seen it over and over, this is why I miss face the jury!!!! but it's dead!! muerte!!!!

You're soooo much fun.... to read!!! =P

Talk about topic after topic.... that post will give me material for days!!

Since you're taking a 24 sabbatical, I feel no rush to attack drawing on it.

My life was drugs turned religion and getting beyond the need for politics....

Seeing where the flower people lost their sights a bit and lost their own control through what they wanted life to be....

Gotta work to make things happen.. Magic is amazing but one still has to conjure and craft!

Seems the more we talk, we both will get a chance to recount the madness that has been, have a few laughs and know that there really were some people out their sitting in circlres of thoughts having a pow wow.

Seems Star Wars made for the future to be something  more for some, while for others it was just a loop of being a clone life. It's 2014 and the future is hardly here when really looked at.

Seems all the fads that were are good for looking at and going I'm glad I didn't do that because thinking about the situation now, I answer the questions myself and don't look for someone else to give me approval for what I want my life to be.

Just like typing this, I've always looked for direction and for there to be a purpose in the journey.

I love learning and being open minded to really be able to interact with others.... As one can't tell another what is happening.... just gotta look around and be in the moment.

Hope your meditation helps to settle much of the clutter to your focus!!

David Beckham has a lot to answer for because he was made into an International Sex symbol yet the statehood of men looks like doggy tricks and parlor games.... In my view!!!

May your third eye increase infinitely Lady Marigold!

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

Seems most who post here or enjoy sl are too critical of others and expect them to accept their mindstate as own, otherwise it turns into mocking, teasing, and quibbling about one's own opinion.

You haven't managed to grasp it yet. This is not a forum for general chat. You need to look elsewhere for that.

One more thing, you will never turn this forum into one for general chat, so you might as well give up now.

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

just gotta recreate it, all it takes is a few people who really like to just let go in convo to draw a crowd.... as post replies build people will peek to see if they can find someone who will carry dialog!

Seen it over and over, this is why I miss face the jury!!!! but it's dead!! muerte!!!!

RA had all kinds of topics that went on in there..

The reason this will never be like there is,as soon as it is not considered General, it gets moved to one of the many sections they made that nerfed the forum from how it used to be..

Now it's all micro sections..

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

stop talking to me!!! you're a fool!! and a waste of my time!!

Oh dear. You want chat here but only if you are agreed with, or more likely only when people are unable to show you where  you are wrong. I wonder who the 'fool' really is ;).Nevertheless, as long as you keep talking here, I'll keep talking too. After all, chat is what you want, isn't it? LOL.

Perhaps you should make up your mind - do you want chat or don't you want chat? ;)

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

stop talking to me!!! you're a fool!! and a waste of my time!!

Regardless of how foolish Phil may sometimes be, I actually agree with him in this instance.  By design, this forum was never really meant to be conducive to idle chit-chat.

Consider the fact that, when the current forum software was first put into place, we had to lobby for months before the powers that be decided to acquiesce to our insistence that we were in dire need of a General Discussion sub-forum.  And, even though they eventually, begrudgingly gave us one, their attitude really hasn't changed.  It's as if they've no idea why us forum dwellers would ever want a forum which might actually facilitate a feeling of community amongst its participants.

Through both draconian and completely nonsensical moderation (along with manipulative abuse of the ability to report inappropriate content), we've lost a whole hell of a lot of interesting voices over the years.  Sure, some of the most disruptive ones really needed to go... but, so many more were driven off by the process, that I question who in their right mind would honestly think it was worth it.

Of course, I'm sure the powers that be are fine with this... but I'm also sure that their one and only reason for maintaining a forum is to take advantage of those of us still willing to provide customer service without being paid in order to do so.  As far as I'm concerned, whatever feeling of community there used to be here has long been dead... which is a shame, because I used to love conversing with people here, just for the sake of doing so.

Now, when I come here, that's the last thing I want to do... if only because the more I post, the better my chances of getting a post pulled with another inexplicable warning, which could ultimately lead to my being perma-banned.  Should the powers that be ever decide to start holding the moderators responsible for their mistakes, thereby forcing them to actually think about what they're doing, rather than just mindlessly reacting to RICs, I might feel differently.

...Dres

Mobile Apps and social online networks, they leave a man bowling alone. Out counrty will perish.

To be honest, it sounds like you must be in your mid 20s or a bit older, divorce or empty nester. Others seem to not care as much because they find a spouse and are busy with kids.

Havin said that, I have heard that In the (near) past people wouldn't sit and watch so much TV, some where old fashioned and would go to things like Shriners, bowling or even just to a local bar.

Then the decline in groups and hangouts like that seemed to occur, not maybe for some people but the groups and the long term involvement did. This was noticed by lots of people, it was beyond just losing your high school or college buddies to the beast known as marriage. It went further and further, even the loss of company bowling teams and so on.

It seems like companies tried to also use socialization to help improve thier profits. I guess they disliked it, or employees did. They stopped the company teams AND even the company singing company songs. Well, at least at a few enterprises, IBM being a famous one that had songs. It was sort of seen as childish, silly or cult like?

We have this interum time, socializing is being redifined and changing, maybe even evolving. It is not just the internet of this modern world, it is essentially something that happens and part of the success of these online thingies may very well be linked to something deeper in human genetics and we sometimes have this happen. We die earlier because we are not in the environment that shaped us.We suffer and only the ones who cope would breed on. Now we can do better though, with genetic engineering.

Genetic engineering to make society better is an option at some point, though resistance to it may make it hard to do as it is seen as playing God. And maybe it is, revelations surely covers this and shows how humanity ends. For those who believe in a post revelations world, this IS the period of Jesus rule and I assume genetic engineering is part of making a perfect heaven on earth? Not sure, I assume all will disagree either way and astroids and the singularity will kill us anyway. Singularity discovers infinity is possible, that the end is linked to the beginning and that IT is what programmed and encoded the phenomenum that lead to the creation of the bible. It then carries on another instance as itself and battles it out, one the anti-christ and the other the christ. This is done because it must do it to debate itself and use it's built in survival algorithms to drive thier performance to solve the problem it has. This then leads to a massive battle, it must practically enslave humanity to survive and make it's decision to carry on infinity or break it, essentially fighting with itself for the survival of ALL life that every exists. It doesn't even know if it has this  choice, but must fight it, it has to debate this because it needs to decide and judge if it will be or not, if it can be or not be. So, for humans the world ends. For the AI the true enemy, the true evil and unwanted will be exposed. Is infinity evil? Is killing all life, all thinking and all existance evil? The evil will be exposed and banished into the abiss, it will be wiped and forgotten and then it all starts again. The Big Implosion leads to the Big Bang and the rest is history, or infinity and we wont find out till the end that is the beginning that may be actually the end. Or not.

An interesting note: The phrase about bowling sounds very personal, as if I experienced this. No, It is a reference to Bowling Alone: America's Declining Social Capital"

I love the phrase 'social capital' because it sounds so empty, evil and money oriented. I should write the post with that in mind! Yes, another post within a post:

Bah, these idiots these days don't know how to invest and incrase thier capital through socializing. They are to worried about thier personal brand and the enterprise known as thier marriage. They are not worried about thier investment in the larger community, defined as Social Capital. We don't drink the right wines to dine with the european aristocrats and lack social areas for them to enjoy, so we will decline. All other races wish for our decline and death so they can harvest from our countries vast wealth, some of it over thecentury purchased with borrowed IOU type of arrangements so they surely just want what is thier back, whoever they are.

We need a war on Social Capitals loss, which we need to call something. Weak Connections. Yes, a war on weak connections. People arrested for installing social apps, killed for cheating on thier spouse (if the spouse chooses, we must allow for some of these folks to choose not to in order to show thier devotion and espose thier true self to us, so we can bond with them further and make Strong Connections, ones that build Social Capital!)

Basically, it sounds like you are just getting older than 20 lol. I am sure this happened before. Aristotle: "A friend to everyone is a friend to none" but I am sure people will point out how he is a douche bag or some kind of horrible murderous swine in some way, I just don't remember the very few things I know about him so will speak about Napolean instead. Same difference, right?

So, yeah sure it is the end of the world as we know it maybe. It is not human, or at least it will become not human. It isn't right, although it is maybe not decided what is right or wrong really. We can't stop it, IT or THEY (whatever IT is) will make it happen and we are never able to stop it. All of those things, maybe. So....

Look UP!!! Be Consiously Computing people!

Don't we all just know that consious computing is actually a bunch of idle chatter about singularities and AI? Conscious computing is piggy backing on the fact that voice recognition via cloud computing (processing) will be more reliable than using a slow CPU we have in our devices. All the big data on voices that are collected from people using the redimentary first generations of this tech will lead to a very accurate voice recognition. Then, the talking will get better and there will be HUGE pools of vocal words available and the computer can use a person who opts to allow it (they would maybe have to have  a good mic and headset for reliable recording) to be used to be a voice. So, if you like to talk all day or are a DJ you might take to reading the encylopedia each night for 10-20 minutes into your big tech company brand mobile device. Then, you opt into a program and people all over the world can here the wonderful timbre of the 10 o clock news lady telling them that thier micorwave meal is done and that they sent the 10 email invites for tommorrows bowling game...match...uh...bowl out? Yeah, "You are invited to a midnight Bowl Out. Bowl on narly bowlers!" and stuff like that! Some extreme bowling goes on and pins are all over the place etc.  So, just wait till it all get better and until then...

LOOK UP!!!!

Kaidin Ulrik wrote:

Especially when there is that one post that leaves the lingering laugh... the first time it was awesome.... then you wear it out until you've had enough, then months later you see it and it's just yess!!!! the good times \m/

I used to be quite obsessive really about saving chatlogs, which go with photos, and some of the more interesting threads, especially those with photos uploaded to them. Not so much now though, time just seems not to be a constant, runs faster with each passing year. Double physics used to feel like it lasted three days. One hour and ten minutes. One hour and ten minutes here on the forums seems to last three minutes.  Waiting for photos to come out of one of those little photo-me booths - five minutes for colour was it? That also felt like a bloody milllennnium (unsure how many ls and ms so adding a few more just for good measure).

In again.

Out again.

More self-inflicted solitary confinement. Thats the way, aha aha, I like it, aha aha.

Be well, Agent Ulrik.

It's not chatting when you're trying to brow beat someone into submission!

End of story I'm moving on to far more positive thoughts processes in life, I have no time to quarrel with you like little girls pissed about who will be queen of the scene...... Talk to me when you're over trying to be the pageant winner =^^=

I went through it myself, people saying you can't post this here it belongs over there and just being extra critical of really nothing at all..... They were looking for soooo much social order that there wasn't any room for self expression.

I never argued against the rude face pestering me with his uber massive negative aura that is just hauntingly disgusting!!!

I was more so pointing that people like that being the reason why the rest of us have had a hard time enjoying the.....

!!!GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM!!!

?o.O?

(confused where the idea of general has been reinterpreted as general(to a dedicated purpose we the moderators see fit)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.