Contest Ideas?

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nothing cures those losing blues better than starting another Contest! :smileyhappy:

Yes, winning is a pretty good cure, but you cannot win them all. :smileyindifferent:

I would support almost any type of Contest. I would like to discover an idea or theme that encourages Residents to connect and interact with other Residents.

I like the idea of a Linden Home photo contest, or a contest for the best looking Car or Truck in SL, might be something Residents are interested in.

What do you think would be a fun or interesting Forum Contest?

I reeeeeally enjoy seeing others' photos of various places of SL.

Sometimes just random pics, that you just look at them and go "WOW". No altering permitted, no work on them at all, just basic pics taken from inworld of random things that make you go "WOW".

Could be landscapes, homes, gardens, a rat crossing the street, a bowl of fruit, a bee on a flower, some weird build or sculpture you found while out and about...anything really.

I like seeing stuff like that, and think it could be an interesting contest.

I've about had my fill of "people photo contests", we see enough photos of people, they bore me after a while, lol. But there are so many lovely places in sl, even hole in the wall places you randomly find by accident make better photo ops than yet another av.

I agree that something other than photo's people would be interesting.

A landscape or perspective photo would be interesting, and might help to remove some of the popularity stigma commonly associated with contest where in the Author of the work is also the subject.

To: Perrie,

I think "best in Mesh" is the best in your list.

In the New Year, New You contest, It was possible for a Furry cross-dressing Dragon to enter.

I'm not sure how a photo could document best role play. Maybe the Contest could be a Writing Contest. Best SL story?

Knowl Paine wrote:

I agree that something other than photo's people would be interesting.

A landscape or perspective photo would be interesting, and might help to remove some of the
popularity
stigma commonly associated with contest where in the Author of the work is also the subject.

To:
Perrie

I think "best in Mesh" is the best in your list.

In the New Year, New You contest, It was possible for a Furry cross-dressing Dragon to enter.

I'm not sure how a photo could document best role play. Maybe the Contest could be a
Writing Contest.
Best SL story?

Writing contest? 

Can I suggest a theme?

"Second Life: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

Seeing as this is just the three of Us, you may suggest anything you like.

The smashing success of this thread, when measured by the quantity of responses from other Residents, is reminiscent of when a Linden would ask at a UG meeting, "are there any questions or comments" play- (Crickets chirping) The silence was deafening.

Should a "next" Contest occur, I'm sure that some Residents will take that opportunity to Voice their opposition to an Idea that they did not think of. Fence sitting critics. I am disappointed. :smileysad:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Most gratuitous use of the word ^$*"£ in a serious post?  
Unfortunately, I think all these things turn into a popularity contest* with everyone voting for their friends
rather than who/what they consider the best entry.

[* And I haven't got any space left in my trophy cabinet]

I predicted a surge in new users to the Forums.  I'm not sure if there is a way for us to actually know.  After all, you can buy a pretty nice sex bed with the grand prize.

I know someone In world who mopes every time she doesn't win a dance contest.  Even when she is the best dressed people quit voting for her because we got tired of her moping.

For the people who entered this just for FUN, I say, YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Anyone who entered this for the $10.00 grand prize, go read the rules again and think about what you need to sign away to collect it.

(IANAL so I am not going to say what it is I think it says.)

The problem with every contest I've seen connected to SL is most are just contests to see who can coerce the most people to vote for them or create the most alts to vote. I get IM's or spam once in a while from people that I barely know as acquaintances asking me to go vote for them in some contest they entered.

The only ones I've seen with any merit are contests that were judged by an impartial panel of judges recognized as 'experts' in the subject of the contest who did not know the names of the people that had entered and judged strictly on what they saw.

Last month there was a contest in world for the best of a certain kind of vehicle.  The winner of the contest won with over 200 votes more than any other entry.  I myself didn't enter but  happened to be at the contest site one day and saw a constant stream of people that tp'd exactly to this guys entry (they had to have a landmark), voted and left without even glancing at any other entry.  It cost 10L per vote too.  Later I learned from one of the voters that he had not only passed out landmarks to his entry, but paid each person 60L to vote for him.  So he essentially bought his trophy.  His entry was no where near the 'best' of the entries in my opinion.  The contest 'sponsors' didn't do anything.  They were just happy to make the money from the voting and entrance fees, which was their reason for having it begin with.

This is so prevalent in SL that this is probably why you haven't had an enthusiastic response to your post.  Most people know that 'contests' are a sham and are only interested in them if they personally can 'star' in one or there is big money to be won.

People do buy votes, it is wrong. Hopefully, they will learn from past mistakes. You were only a visitor in that Region. Imagine what the Region owner or event manager could "see happening".

It is amazing how difficult it is to think of something humans can do together, without the entire endeavor always being about profit.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. :smileyhappy:

• 10 months later...

Stumbled across this thread and found it very interesting! Thhis is my first ever forum post so forgive me if im doing it wrong!

I got into SL photography a while ago. I had a friend who took amazing shots and once I saw what he could do I was hooked. Im a beginner and just do it for fun.

I agree about the in world contests being rigged and for popularity. A lot of the ones that give away big prizes too I found out give them to their friends and just do it for publicity.

If you guys or anyone else who comes across this is interested, I admin a group on facebook that is very active with great people. It's called " Second Life photography and chit chat" on facebook if yall would care to peek in some time. Some are proffesionals, some beginners, but we all just post our photos in there for the sheer love of SL photography. We all make sure to like and comment. Its kind of cool we've kind of become a little family and can even identiry each others work without even looking at the names haha.

Every month I also run a contest with 2 prizes of 1000L each. I do 2 prizes for this very reason. One of the winners is picked by a judge, and the other winner is most likes on the photo. The "most likes" option is nice because even if the person isnt very skilled, if they get their friends to like their pic they still are encouraged to pursue their passion when they win. (And my group members grow :P) And the one picked by a judge is so that a winner can yes be chosen through talent and creativity. I pay the prizes out of my own account just because I like it so much and love others to like it too.

Good luck with the photo contests and a great hobby!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.