Can others see the "Green" Text chat? Or only you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Chat Colors SL Viewer.JPG

Official Viewer

Chat Colors Firestom.JPG

Firestorm

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

Once in a while you see the green text chat whether it be from something you're wearing or from a sim welcoming you. Is this seen by everyone or usually only one person, you?

That's a good question. 

I searched a while back for 'official information' but never did find any.

All I ever found was:

Chat Color

"This lets you specify the colors for the different types of chat text. 'System' is system messages such as errors or special announcements. 'Users' is the regular chat text you see other people typing. 'Objects' is chat text which comes from scripted objects. By default, these are a very light blue, white, and green, respectively."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preferences_FAQ#Chat_Color

Interestingly enough that page reads at the top:

Note!

Please notice that this article or section contains out-of-date information. You can help to improve the article by editing and updating it.

There is also:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewerhelp:Preferences_-_Chat

I do know you can customise (change) the colors.

Here is a more complete answer, with default Firestorm colors.

I put this script into a prim.

{
touch_start(integer total_number)
{
llSay(0, "Everyone can read this.");
llInstantMessage( llDetectedKey(0), "Only the person touching the cube hears this.");
llOwnerSay("only the owner of the prim can read this.");
}
}

At 19:01, I touched the prim. Then at 19:02, I had my lovely alt touch the prim.
Here is what I (Owner) saw, followed by what the alt (someone else) saw.

textcolors.png

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

Once in a while you see the green text chat whether it be from something you're wearing or from a sim welcoming you. Is this seen by everyone or usually only one person, you?

Both it depends on the way the object is scripted.

For example an object can be set to LL Whisper the Agent or your avatar so only each individual can see it to keep from spamming local chat and everyone who teleports in with the same welcome message.

A Object can be used for griefing to spam green text all over a sim via local/shout within I think it was like 40 meter local range and 96 meters shout haven't played SL in a long time.

A General Object or comms relay can be used to whisper an agent or avatar across sims who is not logged into Second Life, and can only be seen by the avatar key its being sent to there are Role-Play reasons for this, but it can also be used to grief, and basically only you can see it however this is not private as anyone with a Channel Scanner can see who is sending it or anyone can open local chat click the object name and see who and where it was sent from unless using the exploit to prevent it which is used for griefing.

You can also send email's from Second Life servers, or look up peoples IP addresses using basic LSL with a object in a sand-box or on your own parcel basically leaving it anonymous, a great way to use second life behind anonmity/anonymous email free wi-fi bot and send emails to anyone  I believe it still works.

I think the "out of date information" may be the lack of documentation for the "Direct" chat color, which seems to be used for text generated by the llRegionSayTo() scripting function. That's no longer a very new function, but it's newer than the other ways for objects to send chat text to viewers, so that may be why it's missing.

As the name implies, it directs text to one individual recipient within the sim.  It's extremely handy and efficiently-implemented, so modern scripts use it a lot. (Not germane here, but in passing: it can be used for script-to-script communications, too, over channels other than open chat's 0 -- and the coolest bit is that messages sent to an avatar with this function are also available to scripts attached to that avatar.)

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I probably don't have a leg to stand on when making this statement, but here's my thought

It would depend on the object. If the object is, for example, welcoming you to a sim or asking you to join a group..I think that you would be the only person to see it. If the object is, for example again, a lucky chair notice or something announcing a winner of a prize...that would be seen by everyone. If it's an object that is coming from a person (maybe wearing an icontrol or something that changes their speech) everyone would see that as well.

I hope that helps.

Rhys Goode wrote:

Here is a more complete answer, with default Firestorm colors.

I put this script into a prim.

{

touch_start(integer total_number)

{

llSay(0, "Everyone can read this.");

llInstantMessage( llDetectedKey(0), "Only the person touching the cube hears this.");

llOwnerSay("only the owner of the prim can read this.");

}

}

At 19:01, I touched the prim. Then at 19:02, I had my lovely alt touch the prim.

Here is what I (Owner) saw, followed by what the alt (someone else) saw.

textcolors.png

Maybe I am complicating this but I am still a little confused here.

Is there a 'hierarchy' for the color coding?

In the preferences window there is a box for 'owner' and a box for 'object.' 

If I am the owner of the object does the 'owner' color take precedent over the 'object' color?  And  where are the different shades of green that the Alt saw coming from? 

Does for instance, 'object' send two shades of green, one for everyone can hear and another if only you can hear?

If I am wearing an object that creates another object, say a gun that shoots a bullet, I will see a message, "can not create object, etc," if object creation is not allowed in a SIM.  Do only I see it or does everyone who is there see it?  I am guessing that is a System message.

Maybe I should take the time to play with this but I am not sure if I have the ability to create all the possible scenarios.

It's not so complicated as a hierarchy or anything; it's just that the labels are kind of shorthand for what's going on.

The color corresponding to the "Owner" label is only used with llOwnerSay() -- and that's only visible to the scripted object's owner.

The "Object" label is for when the script uses any of the common chat forms that are visible to all: llSay(), llShout(), and llWhisper().

The "Object IMs" label is for scripted llInstantMessage() text which is visible only to the targeted recipient. (The Linden viewer seems to use the same color for this as for regular "Object" chat, above.)

The "Direct" label is for llRegionSayTo() text, again visible only to the targeted recipient who much also be present in the same region as the scripted object at the time the function is called.

Qie Niangao wrote:

It's not so complicated as a hierarchy or anything; it's just that the labels are kind of shorthand for what's going on.

The color corresponding to the "Owner" label is only used with llOwnerSay() -- and that's only visible to the scripted object's owner.

The "Object" label is for when the script uses any of the common chat forms that are visible to all: llSay(), llShout(), and llWhisper().

The "Object IMs" label is for scripted llInstantMessage() text which is visible only to the targeted recipient. (The Linden viewer seems to use the same color for this as for regular "Object" chat, above.)

The "Direct" label is for llRegionSayTo() text, again visible only to the targeted recipient who much also be present in the same region as the scripted object at the time the function is called.

TYVM Qie.

I am going to take the liberty of adding that information to the Wiki.

What I probably need to do is customise the colors to make them more distinct for me.

ETA:  Wiki updated:   https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preferences_FAQ#Chat_Color

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.