Recognized Resident
BlackShards

Can You Make Money?

I've just recently joined this world in hopes of making real money. One of my friends says he makes a decent living off of this and said I should join. So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money? One more random question I had was are there a lot of people that play second life?

Tarina Sewell

Re: Can You Make Money?

Reply to BlackShards - view message

BlackShards wrote:

I've just recently joined this world in hopes of making real money. One of my friends says he makes a decent living off of this and said I should join. So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money? One more random question I had was are there a lot of people that play second life?

Do you share skill sets?

Let me quote Joy Behar "So what, who cares!"

wiked Anton

you used to be able to make very good money in SL. you need to make something, womens clothes and shoes are the biggest money makers, you can have a band and play live music, you can build things and sell them...these however require a high set of 3D graphics skills. female strippers used to make very big money ( one told me she was making $100,000 a year) and all you need to do is have a female avatar with all the best accessories ( including skin and animations)....however, I am not too sure with all the new rules, as I thought LL had tried to stop people taking money out of SL. I may be wrong but you better research it. good luck and follow your dreams, you might not become a millionaire but you could be happy.

‎"dude i wasn't that drunk"...."you were cutting open pineapples screaming "SPONGEBOB !! I KNOW YOUR IN THERE""
Suspiria Finucane
Topics: 58

BlackShards wrote:

So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money?

Making money is SL is easy. Making a lot of money in SL is just like doing it in RL. Hard work and perseverance. SL isn't a get rich quick scheme.

I would guess that people make money every second of every day.

An icon does not equate to intelligence..

Suspiria
Awe Thor

Reply to Suspiria Finucane - view message

Why would you want to?

Awe . . . could make more money in an hour as a burger-flipper than 99.99% of SL avatars make in a year.

Suspiria Finucane
Topics: 58

Reply to Awe Thor - view message

Awe Thor wrote:

Why would you want to?

A penny saved is a penny earned.

Awe Thor wrote:

Awe . . . could make more money in an hour as a burger-flipper than 99.99% of SL avatars make in a year.

Shock... Why would you want to? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

An icon does not equate to intelligence..

Suspiria
Syo Emerald
Topics: 26

How does your friend make money? That should give you an idea....

On the internet nobody knows you are a dog.
Awe Thor

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

A penny saved is a penny earned.

No it isn't.

Awe . . . is appalled at the ignorance of the difference between savings and earnings in a capitalist economy.

Awe Thor

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

Shock... Why would you want to? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I wouldn't and don't need to.

Awe . . . but we aren't talking about me, or have you failed to grasp that?

Phil Deakins
Topics: 98

[ Edited ]

Yes you can make decent RL money from SL But only very few people manage to make enough to be an actual livelihood, and such a livelihood is a bit precarious because things change and profits can dwindle.

I only know of one field in which decent RL money can be made without the need of acquiring some good skills, and that's land. Everything else requires sufficient skills to compete with people who have been refining their own skills for years.

Buying and selling land used to be quite profitable but the cost of land is so cheap now that I don't that's a particularly good market to be in any more. The way to make decent money from land is renting it out, either as just land,  or as renting homes out on the land. The first of those only requires a bit of quickly acquired knowledge. The second needs more but it's acquired much quicker and easier than gaining the skills to create knockout clothes that can compete in the market, for instance. Even then, it would be necessary to own and rent out a large amount of land to make anything worthwhile out of it. A person could experiment with it to see how far it could go; e.g. buy a small piece of land, rent it out, with the rent, buy another small piece and rent that out too, and so on, to see how big it could become for only the small outlay at the start.