Breeding animals

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have friends that do breeding with amaretto horses....I wanted to get into breeding animals possibly making some money on SL. Never done it before. Though i dont want to do horse breeding. How do I do ths?

What animals out there are there to breed....

I know theres bunnies, dodo birds, and meeroos.  (I DONT wana do horses or meeroos..honestly)

So...any suggestions? how do i get started? like ...what traits do i look for and stuff like that? is there anybody I should contact to learn more? 

Thanx

Yes, what Pussycat said.  Kittycats were all the range, but it's well nigh impossible to start making money from them now; the market got saturated.  I suspect it's the same with Meeroos.  Those who got in early probably did quite well out of it.   

As to getting information about the various traits, i'd suggest joining a group related to whichever animal you decide on.  That said, it's not at all difficult to pick it up quickly as you go along. I've bred a few cats for fun and enjoyed it.   It's so exciting when your cat pops out a kitten!

Good luck with your new venture, whichever animal it turns out to be.   :matte-motes-grin:

As all have said, if the objective is profit... well, Meeroos might still have a few good weeks / months before the Next Big Thing.  Then they'll join all the other breedables, over-grazing sim CPU cycles for no reason other than ornamentation -- which is fine, for those whose aesthetic appreciation extends to factory farms.

The one and only interesting thing about the breedables craze is whether the whole genre will die out completely, or if creators will keep finding ways to make the critters seem enough smarter than their predecessors to maintain interest.  Granted, there hasn't been much real progress* but at some point, theoretically, given enough AI, they might seem sufficiently pet-like to be a stable fixture of SL.

*That's not quite true.  Breedables have significantly improved in how efficient they are at doing nothing.  At present, that's what they do best.

If  you are in it for profit go where the profit is. I can't tell you about other breedables, and I didn't get into it for profit but out of curiosity, boredom, and well those two things. Then stayed in it because they were just cute. There's a small gambling element to it. People keep saying when they get a 'nest' it's like Christmas running to see what you got (which traits.)

I think as the AI gets better these early ones will seem like time/money drains, which of course they are...like with anything else, ask yourself is it a job or a hobby. How much time and money are you willing to put into it either way? And then stick to that.

I just bought a two meeroo starter pack and one was worth 400 USD or so. I  haven't sold it yet I'm still recovering from the shock. Lol. But unfortunately for others in future, if I understand correctly, some of the profiteers raised heck against rare ones being in starter boxes - and so now the rare ones can only be gotten through breeding, or almost always that way...ensuring higher secondary markups for the flippers (People who raise or buy just to sell, and at enormous markups.) If the small timer or hobbyist can't buy a rare by chance, they HAVE to go to the secondary market, because breeding one if you only have a few meeroo is doggone near impossible. (A few have, but they make it like a full time job.)

So take that info for what you will but some people do seem to be making money at it. How long that will last who knows. 

The problem with them pricing hobbyists out of it entirely (see above) is that they are the base of the pyramid and keep it all going...and the profiteers or flippers will have no one left to sell to without the hardcore meeroo or other breedable fans...so in my opinion THOSE are the ones that creators should market to and be interested in keeping around. Not the flippers...Creators make no money on the secondary market.

I dunno how long I will stay raising them or breeding them...until it bores me I think.

Hope some of that helped you and wasn't TL DR.

TL DR version: If you just want to make some money there are probably easier ways and this is a heck of a buy in now that the flippers have successfully tantrumed until the creators stopped putting the rares in starter boxes at random.

So I decided horses :) I bought three and..they are awesome..I also have a friend who knows so I got some good traits. :)

I for whatever reason....despise meeroos I think they are ugly..... >.> Please dont bash  me!

lol

Well. thanks so much your responses helped a bunch!

AND if anyone knows about Ozimals bunnies...plz IM me...I need alll the help I can get.

Melita Magic wrote:

I just bought a two meeroo starter pack and one was worth 400 USD or so. I  haven't sold it yet I'm still recovering from the shock.

Its only worth $400 US once someone actually pays that for it. Until then, its just worhtless and speculation.

If you -just- bought it, did they change this policy today or something? Sounds fishy.

• 2 months later...

the only breedable I currently do is Plantpets,  don't need to buy extras like food and the like just have to click on them to water them, plus they're low prim and low script so that's a bonus

that said theoreticly for breedable I'd like to see would work as follows

1 the breeding is only contained to a certain season

2  food is either not nessiccary, or much easier and cheaper to maintain (bonus if you can grow your own with minimal effort, think scion chickens and scion corn but better implimented)

3 aside from breeding, the animal can give you something else as well, (i.e. breedable cows you can get milk, or chickens that you can get eggs, or sheep you can get wool you can have the option to butcher the animal for meat as well, these said items given can work with RP systems like say Spellfire) 

4, if the breedable animal is herbivourous it can graze on plants (the system can release a free scripted plant that will provide basic nutrition to the animal once per x number of days (sold plants or food can provide higher level but you can keep the animal just fine with the free plants) 

5. if the breedable animal is carnivourous it can be set to hunt herbivourous breedable animals for food

essentially you can release some of these plants, herbavores and carnivores onto a sim for them and set up your own ecosystem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.