Best viewer available?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

You surprised me, Freya.

I consider it my purpose in life.

Essentially, the mechanism would work by calculating - at a reduced rate - Bitcoin combinations (large floating point numbers), reporting its progress to its central authority. Any successful combinations would be redeemed by the authority and kept as funding. Think of it as Pay-Per-Minute, but with (probably) only a miniscule cost in the form of GPU rendering time. My understanding of the TPVP is that this would be perfectly acceptable.

I've also known people to make hundreds of thousands of USD with auto-click or distancing themselves from the conversion process in Ad revenue. I'm sure 100% of PC users (I include myself of course) would be surprised just where and how often their machines communicate to unrelated servers. To date, only one of my contacts in this field has had to return their earnings as a condition of not being persued with criminal charges. Odds are good. :P

LL's viewer is not keyboard-friendly enough for me, hasn't been since they re-tasked Ctrl+T to 'Customise Toolbars'. I also rely on RLV for avatar control and dynamic visual functions. Unfortunately other TPVs have started killing other keyboard functions since the advent of CHUI. I'm trying to get used to wasting mouse-clicks.

It's so hard being picky.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Successful auto-clicking on affiliate links is relatively easy to do but only by going via quite a large range of proxy servers. Otherwise they are easily picked up programmatically. I used to make a lot of money from my affiliate links without any need fo auto-clicking, but I did need to keep my sites at the top of the Google rankings or I would only have earned a pittance.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Successful auto-clicking on affiliate links is relatively easy to do...

Noted and experienced! One of my clients is pressing for me to disallow Amazon EC2/AWS/etc access to their webservers, as these IP clusters are now auto-click central and it's causing some load trouble on their end.

This feels a little like starving them to death, I'd rather be the one to put a very specific end to the folks behind it.

It's a tricky business. :P

I should add, before anyone reads nefarious intent into the rumours I mentioned - the same viewer would be including an Opt Out control (not an Opt In sadly, but with any luck there'd be a minimum hardware spec) to the Bitcoin generation process.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes, they took a publically available LibSL programme that was written for above board purposes and built it into a viewer for unscrupulous purposes. The copybot problem was created by them.

Later, at least one of the copybot creators had the gall to sell an anti-copybot device. I.e. they created the disease and then started selling the cure.

I'm going to cover two issues here.  First, Copybot.

What I was asking and what actually there may be no way for us to know, were they the same people as these two mentioned in the NWN article.

""The libsecondlife team was disappointed this morning to learn that several days ago, Baba Yamamoto and Nimrod Yaffle were both aware of and flaunting the misuse potential of the CopyBot test-suite. Mindless of the consequences of their actions, they persisted in demonstrating and distributing the application. In light of this betrayal of our trust and reckless attitude toward intellectual property concerns, we will not permit them to stand alongside us. Nimrod Yaffle was not, and has never been, a part of libsecondlife. Baba Yamamoto has now been told formally that he is no longer a part of the team and all his access has been withdrawn."

The Second thing is the BitCoin mining via a Viewer.

I'm not sure if a Viewer doing this in some way could pass muster to be approved for the TPV list.  I glanced through the TPV Policies again and I'm just not sure.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The Second thing is the BitCoin mining via a Viewer.

I'm not sure if a Viewer doing this in some way could pass muster to be approved for the TPV list.  I glanced through the
again and I'm just not sure.

Agree entirely that this would be an area for further definition regarding the TPVP - I'm fairly certain that it's not covered at present. My understanding is that the user pushback might be a significant obstacle to its adoption. Either way, I wouldn't want to be the one breaking this ground.

I don't want to derail too far, but I couldn't find anything that forbids this action - provided it's processed separately and anonymously from all Second Life communications.

Perrie Juran wrote:

...Baba Yamamoto and Nimrod Yaffle...

These two names aren't showing any association with any banned viewer, according to the information that I have available. I'm not certain I understand the connection between these two projects, however.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm not tarring the current lot, Innula. I'm saying that it is easy for those who remember to distrust that viewer, so Baloo's (and my) distrust is understandable. We don't keep tabs on who's who over the years. All we know is that it happened, and for all we know, the people who did it are still around that group, although not officially.

The group leader (project manager and founder) is still the same person, and weren't they friends back then?

My take on it is this.  Jessica and several others retrieved what was believed to be a 'clean copy' of the code and worked with it and followed LL's directives in order to be able to continue to make available a very popular Viewer.

I'm certain (though I could be wrong) that LL scrutinized what they were doing at that time.  Additionally there were people who's hate of anything or anyone who had anything to do with Emerald was so venomous I'm certain they put anything that the newly formed Phoenix Team did under a microscope.  There was nothing they would have loved more than to bust the new Phoenix Team.

Moving forward to today, some of those 'haters' are still around though we don't hear as much of their venom any more.  But I'm sure they continue to watch and scrutinize.  Also, while I myself am not capable of reading and understanding all that code, there are people who just in general are always looking at it for various reasons.

Is it possible for something malicious to get slipped in.  Yes.  But a disgruntled LL employee could possibly do the same with the Official Viewer though getting way with it would probably be a lot less likely.

Many of us for various reasons prefer a TPV, Firestorm being the most popular.  If any of the TPV developers were to breech our trust, I would hope that a new group, like what happened with Phoenix, would pick up the work on those Viewers.  The TPVs in my mind our a good thing.  But I wouldn't smear the New Group over the sins of the old. 

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

...Baba Yamamoto and Nimrod Yaffle...

These two names aren't showing any association with any banned viewer, according to the information that I have available. I'm not certain I understand the connection between these two projects, however.

As I understand it, their work at a minimum was the foundation for CopyBot Viewers.  Whether or not they ever produced a Viewer I don't know and of course knowing who the people really are can be very difficult.  It may have been other people who took their work and ran with it.  Regardless, they were banned from the project for their actions in promoting it.

I've just read the whole 2006 article that you linked to, Perrie, and it sounds to me like those 2 are not the ones who got the publically available code, and produced a CopyBot that saved the copies. The original copybot at the time didn't save anything. I.e. it doesn't look like they are Phox and Fractured. For one thing, the article indicated that the people who produced and sold the (bad) CopyBot got the code because it was publically available, but those two (certainly Yamamotot) wouldn't have needed it to be publically available.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

HI

I have an intel HD GPU on my hard drive,  with the invention of Mesh bodies,  its been dragging my computer down.  SL viewer now recoomends certain GPUs and intel isnt on it.  It would be nice if someone at LL or someone anywhere would give us direction.   Right now,  my mesh body is going invisible or my clothing looks shredded to me, as I take pictures.   If LL wants hi res, low cost graphics for SL,  I think some dirction would be nice, but we are not getting that from LL.    "Just buy a gaming computer" heh

thanks

I'm afraid that you will have problems running SL because SL's graphics demands require you to have a separate rather than an integrated GPU, which I assume you have, since you didn't give specific information about your computer.  Desktops are better than laptops too, as even the gaming laptops run hot in SL which can effect how long you can stay logged in and how long the laptop will last period. 

If you set your draw distance as low as you can stand, decrease the number of avatars rendered, and set your graphics low, you'll have better luck.  If you are using wifi connection to your internet, change to a cable too.

LL does give some guidance, but it is dated, IMO.  I have a desktop with a cutting edge processor and the max ram SL uses, that is relatively new, but even so just upgraded to the top of the line Nvidia Geforce card myself, to keep up with all the new tech and to be able to run at ultra high with minimum lag.

Here is the LL 'guidance'

https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php?lang=en-US

There are a number of very knowledgeable people here on the forum that can offer better guidance.  If you are thinking about upgrading your computer (if that's even possible), post your system specs here for suggestions, which you can easily get by going to Help>About in your viewer.  You don't have to log in to get these.  If you are thinking about replacing what you have, give us an idea of your budget for suggestions of how best to spend your money.

Although it would be good advice, I don't think Linden Lab has ever actually said "get a gaming computer" and the company does mention Intel on the System Requirements page. Certainly a desktop or laptop with a discrete gaming graphics card is best for running SL but there are plenty of users with integrated Intel HD graphics as well.

My desktop is over 6 years old now. It has its original OC Intel quadcore i5 750 processor and I recently replaced the degrading ATI Radeon HD 5850 with an AMD R7 370. The system still runs SL reasonably well but struggles in busy places.

I tried Firestorm recently for the first time and while it runs fine in quiet places, it's very poor in busy clubs and fairs. Linden Lab's own viewer is far superior in those situations and can run at Mid graphics when FS is struggling on Low.

I've run Black Dragon and its predecessor, Niran's, for years and it is by far my favourite viewer (as commented to me recently by another happy BD user, "going from Black Dragon to Firestorm is like going from a Ferrari to a Chevy"). However, you need a really good computer to run Black Dragon in _all_ situations. I switch to the LL viewer when going to clubs and fairs.

I tried Singularity, which people says is best for computers struggling to run Second Life well. However, it ran well for one or two sessions then refused to open after that so I gave up on it. Perhaps it will work better than the LL viewer for you though but I've heard it's not as up-to-date as other viewers.

The Second Life Third Party Viewer Directory is here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Here is a useful link on Second Life and Intel HD graphics:

http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/20/second-life-intel-hd-graphics-how-to-improve/

If your Intel HD systemis struggling with mesh, have you tried updating your Intel HD graphics drivers? For example, here is one mesh bug affecting Intel HD:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Why-does-this-keep-happening-to-me/qaq-p/3013588

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.