Best Graphic Card For SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know nothing about graphics cards - heck I just about know how to turn on the computer!  LOL.   Anyway - RL Bro is getting a new computer, and bless him, he said he would get a SL graphic card, and he would pay to a certain point, and I could pick up the slack on the additional amount beyond what he would pay...so that I can enjoy SL on a real computer when he's not using it, if I wished.  It's an unusual offer from him, but he knows life has been very much less than rosy for me the last 6 months, and SL is my place to runaway to, and he wants to cheer me up.

So.... I'm in the UK, and he will be getting a PC not a MAC - not sure if that counts - I have no idea of his budget, but the dream is to actually be able to see and take photos of high quality graphics, and maybe even shadows, without burning out and killing the computer. 

He wants to order a new computer in the next 3 weeks - so what would be the best graphic card to get???

Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for Nvidia cards, the way you find out how powerful the GPU is, is through the three digits (obviously) after the card name. For example, if the numbers are 760 after the card name, the first digit (7) is the model type, the second (6) is the power (so the higher the better) and the third one I have no clue. Sorry.

If it helps, I have a 760 and it runs great. However, you can still have the best specs but, it means nothing if your internet connection isn't stable and might as well run SL on a computer from the 90's. Before getting my desktop, I used my old laptop which had a semi-decent GPU (525) and other specs which ran all my other games fine. Unfortunately, when I played SL, it was a hit or miss. Somedays I could get away with 15-25 FPS and other days I didn't even try because it was just too laggy.

Wired connection>wireless connection

I'd say Nvidia, didn't have good experience with AMD. So staying with Nvidia you go like this:

GTX, no GT, must be GTX. GTX used to start at GTX x60, nowadays they already label x50 cards as GTX. I'm sceptical. The GTX lineup ends with x80 or x90, depending on generation. Older generations used to have xx5 models which were specific 2 GPU setups. Never mind that now, it's more trouble than good.

Xxx: first number is the generation of cards, so a 8xx is newer than a 7xx, 6xx and so on. Newer is better. D'uh. :)

xXx: second number is the "goodness" of the specific card. A 680 should still be better than a 860. While cards are getting better from one generation to the next, the jumps are mostly not soooo huge.

Ti: that moniker specifies a better specced "Titan" version of a card. They mark a semi-step in between goodness classes. So although GTX 660ti is better than a standard GTX 660 it won't be as  good as a standard GTX670.

So the best you could get right now (not taking into account any exotic special beancounting OCD ubergeek types) would be a GTX 880 ti. And don't settle for the reference design (the original Nvidia card) but alway go for one from a board partner like Zotac, Gigabyte, EVGA, Asus, MSI. They are often slightly overcocked right outta the box and have better cooling components. If still available from shops in your neighborhood or mail-order shops, I'd try to get a 780 or 680. They should be drastically discounted by now. And there you have it: the creme of the crop, the tops of the pops, the ultimate bragging rights. :matte-motes-nerdy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.