Being a real estate agent???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do you want to be a real estate agent?  Is it just because you've heard good money can be made out of it?  It can, but only if you know what you're doing.

I think if I was wanting to be a hot cheerleader, I would have to make myself look hot, dress like a cheerleader, and know how to jiggle, wiggle and wave those pom poms about at the appropriate places, oh and be in the right place at the right time. Am I right? It probably wouldn't be a great idea to be a hot cheerleader in the middle of an empty sim, for example.

As far as being a real estate agent in Second Life is concerned, you have to be in the right place at the right time, and currently, for anyone thinking of starting up as an estate agent, you need to know the bottom has fallen out of the market. 

Marigold Devin wrote:

I think if I was wanting to be a hot cheerleader, I would have to make myself look hot, dress like a cheerleader, and know how to jiggle, wiggle and wave those pom poms about at the appropriate places, oh and be in the right place at the right time. Am I right? It probably wouldn't be a great idea to be a hot cheerleader in the middle of an empty sim, for example.

-- If a cheerleader jiggles, wiggles and waves her pom poms in the middle of an empty sim and no one is around to see her... is she still hot?

Owner's of large estates hire agents to help them manage their estates.  To find these jobs you need to watch classifieds and also the employment board here in the forum.  You could perhaps approach a few owners to see if they need help. Be prepared to show that you are qualified.  Agents are paid by commission or by salary. Sometimes in lieu of a salary you will be given land to live on yourself.

Commissions are based on your renting or selling land or perhaps rental space in a mall on the estate and is generally a small percent of the rent , tier or sale price on the land or space you rent or sell..  Whether it is a one time payment or you receive it every time rent or tier is paid varies  You will need to actively seek out potential customers, so having a lot of contacts and marketing experience in SL would be helpful. 

For a salary , you will be expected to be very reliable trustworthy and available during certain time periods to answer questions from existing tenants or drop in potential tenants and go to the estate to render assistance to them on a wide variety of issues and perhaps monitor  the estate for visitors that are not guests of the tenants or owners. 

Knowledge and experience count for these jobs.  If you have any RL experience it may or may not be considered depending on the employer.   Most employers will not hire you until you have been in SL six months or more and also have a presentable avatar that is either professional looking or that follows the theme of the estate if there is one.

Some qualifications may be that  you need to be very familiar with how SL works and know how to use all the land and  estate management tools well. You also need technical knowledge for advising customers.  At a minimum you need to know how to set up media on land, form groups, assign roles and deed land to groups, what causes lag and how it can be reduced, what violates the TOS or CS, and the estate covenants and have the ability to deal with difficult people and mediate disputes between neighbors.  You may also need to know how to terraform well and be able to set up land with landscaping and rental buildings. And manage the rental box system that is used.

A few estate owner's may be willing to train you if they see that you have potential, but not often.  Most people gain this type of experience through managing their own land.  However a lot of it can be learned by studying the knowledge base and wiki.  Be prepared to answer a lot of questions about what you have learned and the experience you have.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

-- If a cheerleader jiggles, wiggles and waves her pom poms in the middle of an empty sim and no one is around to see her... is she still hot?

My darling Janelle, if the cheerleader is you, then the answer is YES!

... the rest of this is coming in a private email to you any second now. 

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.