Honored Resident
Scubby Doobie

Ban Lines

The single most hate thing about Second life is ban lines, or restrictions .. I now note you cannot fly over properties because of them ... surly I cannot be on my own thinking we want a free world with no restrictions

Monti Messmer

Re: Ban Lines

Reply to Scubby Doobie - view message

Hello, that´s an "old" discussion coming up again and again.

Like in RL you wouldn´t want people enter your house using your stuff or have a couple being naughty in your bed.

I had cases when i politley told them to leave when they either ignored me or called me really nasty stuff. Why would i pay for a home if anyone can use ?

The "i cannot fly" is wrong. You can fly above 50 meters or so. Another thing i wouldn´t want in real is having jets and ufos flying above my house lower than that.

Being online doesn´t mean there are no rules and everything is free. If all would respect a little bit of privacy, ban-lines wouldn´t be needed.

If you want to fly around in a plane or like superman, just go up to 500 m. You are free to roam and others are free to enjoy their privacy.

Monti

Stay calm - Just smile and wave
Honored Resident
Scubby Doobie

Re: Ban Lines Be banned!

Reply to Monti Messmer - view message

Well monti, you are wrong on so many accounts, however we are all entitled to our opinion thank god for that ... 1st ban Line do stretch all the way up ... I had neighbours move into a plot next door on within a few hours they had banned me from their land ...now that's ok ..Although odd as I had never spoken to them or given cause to be banned ... 2nd this is not RL where you are right in saying we do not have jets flying around at 50M ... I also don't have many people flying about unaided either. 3rd) I have been to other grids other than SL and wondered why it was in many ways betters than SL ... and it struck me the lack of ban lines stuck out ...however of course the technically advanced servers  make SL a pleasant place to do things and other worlds don't ... but that will change ... ask yourself the questions why are the numbers declining on SL and maybe its a small part in the "**bleep** in the SL amour"

Ren Toxx

[ Edited ]

Scubby Doobie wrote: [...] I have been to other grids other than SL and wondered why it was in many ways betters than SL ... and it struck me the lack of ban lines stuck out [...]

Perhaps those other grids lacked the option for landowners to limit access if they so wanted or deemed it necessary. Thank God SL does have that option and landowners here are free to use it... and you're all for freedom, right?

Or maybe you're just for freedom for yourself to do whatever you want... but not necessarily for others too? :smileyhappy:

Monti Messmer

Did they ban you or put up ban-lines. That is different.

I gave up my house about nasty intruders using it as theirs or a sandbox. Griefers as well are a problem.

The problems with SL are not related to ban-lines, that discussion is as old as ban-lines.

Banned or ban-lines you can still fly above, sorry if i got the wrong height maybe its 800 m or so,...

You can hide the banlines if the visual borders annoy you.

This may sound rude, sorry, no one has a buisness on others land there is no exception i know about.

Privacy in SL is anyway a myth.

Other grids lack of physics or users ... maybe thats why they don´t need ban-tools.

One honest serious reason why ban-lines are bad and i change my mind.

Fly-over ? You still can just go up

Enter house ? sorry no you cannot enter my house without invitation

Use my ground to rez/try things ? I pay rent for and you want it as a free sandbox leave your rubbish, NO

Ugly look ? Yes i agree but as said simply hide them

This is not ment as an offense because i believe that everyone has to right to free speak and if they really bug you politely ask your neighbors or the sim-owner to remove them. Private sims very often do not allow banlines.

Hope you still can enjoy the rest of SL with them nagging "virtual fences" :matte-motes-sarcasm:

Monti

Stay calm - Just smile and wave
Honored Resident
Scubby Doobie

Reply to Monti Messmer - view message

No one should be allowed to use others land, there are plenty of tools/controls on your land to stop building, people seeing you etc. and such the like, I am not a newbie here I understand griefers and had my fair share of them  ... I am just passing comment, I for one don't like them, I think they make the land look hostile and unfriendly and although It would appear  am a lone voice on this forum ... I know very well I am not on my own as I have talked to many over the years and many have very similar views.

Ren Toxx

Scubby Doobie wrote: [...] and although It would appear  am a lone voice on this forum ... I know very well I am not on my own as I have talked to many over the years and many have very similar views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Perrie Juran

Scubby Doobie wrote:

Well monti, you are wrong on so many accounts, however we are all entitled to our opinion thank god for that ... 1st ban Line do stretch all the way up ...I had neighbours move into a plot next door on within a few hours they had banned me from their land ...

Maximum "NO ENTRY" ban line height: is for all options 80 meter. Only the option 'Banned Residents' (named) has a 5020 meter ban line high, which is visible up to a hight of 800 meter above the terrain mesh.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

Venus Petrov
Topics: 74

I live on a mainland snow sim.  A lovely place right on the water.  For months I had a pleasant neighbor who rarely was on her parcel.  She moved and another arrived, built a huge home and put up ban lines.  It is his right to restrict access and I have no need to 'go there'.  It was a simple click to shut off the ability to see the lines. 

He, also, is rarely home.  Suits me just fine.

=== Start and end your day with a smile ===
Perrie Juran

Reply to Venus Petrov - view message

ban line.JPG

Venus Petrov wrote:

It was a simple click to shut off the ability to see the lines. 

I forgot all about that ability until you mentioned it.