An excercise in lonelyness

SweetLadyMell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To all...that wander...alone...

In awe...

touching everything...

hoping to be...

touched...

A haiku-like note...

Ever seen those "new" people? Running around, clumsy bumping everyone, touching anything, no real AO. Ever wondered...are they alone?

If you ever see one like that...at least right-click and select "send IM" and welcome them..."touch" them...make sure they do not feel alone....at least not on the "SL side" of the screen...

Mell

(I had an emotional day, sorry...)

I'm a natural introvert (but practiced extrovert), so wandering alone suits me.

I experience awe daily, though mostly in RL.

I still touch and try to sit on everything in SL. I'm only a little better behaved in RL.

I was in SL six months before I got an AO (two months before I got "sexywalk"), and that was to stop friends from teasing me for looking like a statue. My favorite pastime during my first month here was to fly high over clusters of green dots on the map, then click "Stop Flying".

I'm not in-world enough to bump into newbies or lost souls these days, but it always put a smile on my face to help someone have an "aha" moment here.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I still touch and try to sit on everything in SL. I'm only a little better behaved in RL.

I was in SL six months before I got an AO (two months before I got "sexywalk"), and that was to stop friends from teasing me for looking like a statue. My favorite pastime during my first month here was to fly high over clusters of green dots on the map, then click "Stop Flying".

I'm not in-world enough to bump into newbies or lost souls these days, but it always put a smile on my face to help someone have an "aha" moment here.

It's practised, not practiced.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

It's practised, not practiced.

Not where I live....

practiced US.png

And from the looks of it, possibly not where you live either (if I recall correctly), at least not eventually...

practiced UK.png

Notice that my Mac's spellchecker doesn't like your spelling, but the forum spellchecker doesn't mind either spelling.

I don't think there's any worry that practised will be thought wrong in your lifetime, so rest easy.

I suspect it's the difference between British and American...and yes...I differentiate between the two. They each have their own idioms, spellings and usages. Much like the differences between Spanish, Cuban, Puerto Rican and Mexican. Those are all rooted in Spanish but are their own languages now.

I have this in my profle....English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over the head, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

As for the new residents, I give them the link to Fab Free web page and their store in The Wash.

practiced US.png

And from the looks of it, possibly not where you live either (if I recall correctly), at least not eventually...

practiced UK.png

Notice that my Mac's spellchecker doesn't like your spelling, but the forum spellchecker doesn't mind either spelling.

I don't think there's any worry that practised will be thought wrong in your lifetime, so rest easy.

Thank you Madelaine! This information is exactly that which I need for my research on "Americans are getting more stupid quicker than the British".

Now I have to investigate the reasons, several of which suggest themselves:

• Americans are congenitally more stupid than the British
  • The American education system encourages stupidity
  • More stupid people write books in America than Britain
  • America has increasing numbers of ESLers who don't know any better
  • American communications media businesses employ more stupid people as sub-editors
  • More Americans are seduced by the argument that language is a living thing so errors are OK
  • Greater alcohol and drug use (and daytime tv programming) in America degrades the brain functioning
  • (Latterly)Proportionately greater use of Apple equipment by Americans encourages a lack of discernment and discrimination

I also expect that a large proportion of the errors made by the British shown in the graph are quotations by British authors of the errors made by American authors.

It's also heartwarming to note that the trend in Americans in the 21st century is towards correctness, which coincides with my own extensive internet campaign to educate non-British writers. If the improvement continues then Americans will be using English properly well before the end of the century.

If you have any further contributions to my work I would be delighted to receive them here.

[ By the way, I didn't realise that the Mac had a spellchecker.]

[Like 99% of Mac users seem to be ignorant of its existence.]

SweetLadyMell wrote:

In awe...

touching everything...

hoping to be...

touched...

A haiku-like note...

Ever seen those "new" people? Running around, clumsy bumping everyone, touching anything, no real AO. Ever wondered...
are they alone
?

If you ever see one like that...at least right-click and select "send IM" and welcome them..."
touch"
them...make sure they do not feel alone....at least not on the "SL side" of the screen...

Mell

Ack!   No, no....when I was a newbie exploring the grid, clicking on everything (I still click on everything!) the last thing I wanted was an IM popping in disturbing me.  I loved gadding about, learning on my own, and strangers trying to interact with me, spooked my fun. 

LlazarusLlong wrote:

practiced US.png

practiced UK.png

Thank you Madelaine! This information is exactly that which I need for my research on "Americans are getting more stupid quicker than the British".

Now I have to investigate the reasons, several of which suggest themselves:
  • Americans are congenitally more stupid than the British
  • The American education system encourages stupidity
  • More stupid people write books in America than Britain
  • America has increasing numbers of ESLers who don't know any better
  • American communications media businesses employ more stupid people as sub-editors
  • More Americans are seduced by the argument that language is a living thing so errors are OK
  • Greater alcohol and drug use (and daytime tv programming) in America degrades the brain functioning
  • (Latterly)Proportionately greater use of Apple equipment by Americans encourages a lack of discernment and discrimination

I also expect that a large proportion of the errors made by the British shown in the graph are quotations by British authors of the errors made by American authors.

It's also heartwarming to note that the trend in Americans in the 21st century is towards correctness, which coincides with my own extensive internet campaign to educate non-British writers. If the improvement continues then Americans will be using English properly well before the end of the century.

If you have any further contributions to my work I would be delighted to receive them here.

[ By the way, I didn't realise that the Mac had a spellchecker.]

[Like 99% of Mac users seem to be ignorant of its existence.]

Well, it could be worse.  You guys in the UK could be speaking German.  ; )

Kelli May wrote:

Strictly speaking, practice is a noun while practise is a verb.

The correct
practice
is to
practise
 good manners.

The British like rich language and therefore use distinct word for the noun (practice), and for the verb (practise).

Americans tend to simplify the language and thus use one word for both meanings (practice).

Practice vs. practise

http://grammarist.com/spelling/practice-practise/

"In the main varieties of English from outside North America, practice is the noun, and practise is the verb. For instance, we would say that a doctor with a private practice practises privately. There is no such distinction in American English, where practice is both a noun and a verb, and practise is not used at all."

http://www.world-english.org/practise_practice.htm

"In many parts of the English speaking world (UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and South Africa) “practice” is the noun, “practise” the verb. However, in the U.S.A the spelling “practice” is more often used for both the noun and the verb. Contrary to popular belief a significant minority of the American population also observe the distinction."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/practice

"Care should be taken with the use of the words practice and practise as there are differences in British and US usage. Practice is the correct spelling for the noun in both British and US English and it is also the spelling of the verb in US English. However, in British English the verb should be spelled practise."

This all reminds me of a story about a teacher who wants her class to practise vocabulary. She asks the class to put "defence" into a sentence to show its meaning.

Most of the class write sentences like "Arsenal's attack may be great, but its defence is abysmal", or "Truth is the only defence against slander", but the one American in the class, on an exchange visit, wrote: "De horse jumped over de fence".

Questions about whether defence should be spelled defence or defense rather pale into insignificance . . .

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

SweetLadyMell wrote:

In awe...

touching everything...

hoping to be...

touched...

A haiku-like note...

Ever seen those "new" people? Running around, clumsy bumping everyone, touching anything, no real AO. Ever wondered...
are they alone
?

If you ever see one like that...at least right-click and select "send IM" and welcome them..."
touch"
them...make sure they do not feel alone....at least not on the "SL side" of the screen...

Mell

Ack!   No, no....when I was a newbie exploring the grid, clicking on everything (I still click on everything!) the last thing I wanted was an IM popping in disturbing me.  I loved gadding about, learning on my own, and strangers trying to interact with me, spooked my fun. 

Hmm, thanks for THAT angle...this clears up a lot...and yes, here is a spook-hug...hehe, so there :)

I did not realise that walking alone had its benefits...

SatsumaLee wrote:

I loved the help I recived my first weeks here and am grateful these helpful people where kind to help for no charge.

For me, it is a feeling of satisfaction to help...and to see someone bloom up :) THAT is more than any charge you can ask, besides, no charge should be asked for helping out anyway :)

I can remember when I started SL, at the second day a stranger gifted me a box full of clothes and hair :)

I was trying these things for hours and it felt like paradise lol....when I think back now I have to smile...in that moment these outfits and hairstyles were so beautiful for me and I was proud to have them, nowadays I would not wear any of them again...all together newbie stuff and horrible.

But it is true, you can make someone new really happy by helping to get used to SL and I also do that whenever I meet someone who needs help.:smileyvery-happy:

The following photo is from my second day in SL. I don't remember where I met her, but a lovely woman gave me L$250 to buy decent hair, as she was mortified by the Dutch milkmaid braid I was wearing. As you can see, I hadn't yet learned how to dress myself. And like you, I'd never that hair again. Or that skin, which makes me look like I'd just kissed a powdered sugar donut...

Maddy, April

I did repurchase that hair when I returned to SL as Ms. McMasters (after a five week sabatical), but I did so only because the resizer script is pure awesome...

Big Hair.jpg

I can't count the times I've dropped L$250 on a lost newbie. If the woman who gifted me that hair got half as much pleasure from her generosity as I do from mine, she got her money's worth.

;-).

ETA: I should add that I feel that giving someone L$250 entitles me to tease them mercilessly. So far, I've had no complaints.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.