An animation in my AO has completely stopped working

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wierd one...

I use Firestorms client-side AO, loaded with my favourites. My running animation is run_rookie from the Akeyo NanoAO Rookie HUD. It's always done the job for me despite having more expensive ones.

Yesterday I noticed that I had no running animation; my avatar just slid forward in a static pose when I ran. The pose appears to be whatever standing animation was active.

I've checked that the run_rookie file is still where it should be, and tried to play the animation directly. Nothing happens when I play it; no animation whatsoever. All other animation files work normally.

Obviously I have made sure that I'm not wearing any other animations; I've gone down to completely naked.

Next I found another copy of that animation file in my inventory and tried it; again nothing. Then I attached the Akeyo HUD that I pulled the file from and ran. This time, I got the default "I've got a bug up my ass" system run animation, not the one that is in the HUD. I pulled the file from the HUD (again) and tried it directly; no animation played.

So, it's as if that animation file, wherever it exists, no longer has anything in it. A corrupt resource on the server perhaps? I'm sort of assuming that since I've tried different instances of the file that it isn't a corrupt cache locally, but could they all point to the same cache entry?

Is there any way to just clear certain parts of the cache, even a single file, even if I have to write a script to do it? Last time I did full clear Firestorm threw a complete wobbler and it took me a full day to get things working again.

Vulpinus wrote:

Wierd one...

I use Firestorms client-side AO, loaded with my favourites. My running animation is run_rookie from the Akeyo NanoAO Rookie HUD. It's always done the job for me despite having more expensive ones.

Yesterday I noticed that I had no running animation; my avatar just slid forward in a static pose when I ran. The pose appears to be whatever standing animation was active.

I've checked that the run_rookie file is still where it should be, and tried to play the animation directly. Nothing happens when I play it; no animation whatsoever. All other animation files work normally.

Obviously I have made sure that I'm not wearing any other animations; I've gone down to completely naked.

Next I found another copy of that animation file in my inventory and tried it; again nothing. Then I attached the Akeyo HUD that I pulled the file from and ran. This time, I got the default "I've got a bug up my ass" system run animation, not the one that is in the HUD. I pulled the file from the HUD (again) and tried it directly; no animation played.

So, it's as if that animation file, wherever it exists, no longer has anything in it. A corrupt resource on the server perhaps? I'm sort of assuming that since I've tried different instances of the file that it isn't a corrupt cache locally, but could they all point to the same cache entry?

Is there any way to just clear certain parts of the cache, even a single file, even if I have to write a script to do it? Last time I did full clear Firestorm threw a complete wobbler and it took me a full day to get things working again.

I just tested that animation and it still works for me, FYI. Animations are run viewer side - try running using that animation and see if others see it playing properly or not. If they see it then it's probably a cache issue. However, before you go through a cache clear you might try a quick Firestorm voodoo cure - rebuilding the "bridge."

Thanks for that. Yes, other people see me running as expected. I should have thought of checking that (Excuse for stupidity: total six hours sleep in the last three nights, lol)

I tried recreating the bridge, and I had laready been through the other things in 'Avatar Health'.

So it's a local cache issue, obviously the file is reference by a single key across all instances of it. Makes sense.

A quick google hasn't revealed anything about fiddling with cache at a granular level, so it looks like I'll have to clear it. D'oh!

Either that, or just find another running animation that I like (which I haven't so far)... I'm looking...

This obsessive preservation of cache is the flip-side of the earlier superstitious obsession of clearing cache at the drop of a hat.

If ever one comes across a corrupted cache entry, it is almost certain that there are hundreds of other corrupted entries just waiting to cause mysterious misbehaviour.

It's a stinky old cache and it's time to start afresh.

lol, like it.

Not so much obsessive preservation, but it did cause me major grief last time I did a clean install even though I followed the guide to the letter. Firestorm wouldn't even run at first.

Yeah, I'll bite the bullet later.

Qie Niangao wrote:

This obsessive preservation of cache is the flip-side of the earlier superstitious obsession of clearing cache at the drop of a hat.

That should be written in stone somewhere along with a not-too-techy guide of what can get corrupted in cache.

Vulpinus wrote:

lol, like it.

Not so much obsessive preservation, but it did cause me major grief last time I did a clean install even though I followed the guide to the letter. Firestorm wouldn't even run at first.

Yeah, I'll bite the bullet later.

"Clean install" refers mostly to when you need to uninstall a program and then reinstall it. You do not need to uninstall SL, just clear your cache.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.