Account Hacked/Compromised

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No joke, and Yes I already filed a ticket so everyone knows, and called Linden Lab.

Like 6 Months ago someone tried to reset my password for Second Life, and I got a security notice to my email with a warning and IP address of the person who tried to reset it by Linden Lab's automated system I immediately filed a ticket and changed my password, and it isn't somethig simple as numbers, nad letters its very long contains lots of keys used on the keyboard and upper lower, numbers and other characters.

A few days ago logging into Second Life my account was fine but after logging into Second Life today my account was stripped clean with the newbie Female Test Outfit/Avatar, I was in another simulator next to the one I own, and I knew somethign was wrong. I decided to relog clear my cache anyways logged back in all my items in my inventory were erased all 50k+ items that I owned, weapons I edited, old stuff I created deleted.

I asked a few friends around if they got any wiered IM's check my transaction history, checked my PayPal, and CreditCard no fraud billing, or anything that I could see on my end finally later this day I get an IM from a Gorean and they are accusing me of being a Griefer, a Thief, and a Botter, they claimed I sent out notices in some group I asked them where they refused to tell me and muted me with the accusation it was me even though I told them my account was hacked/compromised.

While I am not allowed to give their name, I checked this persons groups, and this person has given me the chill since I met them, and guess what, they are in Gorean groups with a known Botter/Griefer I knew of since 2009 and they knew other people on my list, quite odd. To me it seems like they might be the ones behind it so I updated my ticket with their name and log because they refused to provide details of the group I sent them in what harm would that have done other than helped me inform Linden Lab, and properly get items removed if they were truly not involved they should have helped unless they are just that ignorant. But beyond this they did give illegal IP hiding software to me that was illegally cracked from the popular pirate site back in the day never installed it but they did provide me with it over SL with this said they know more than the means of how to grief other residents and avoid bans the same as I do.

* Even if they are telling the truth and it isn't them there are still 5 other peoples names who appear on the top of my head who are griefers and have griefed others some of them banned by LL, and that doesn't include friends of friends.*

With all this said.

If someone within I would say the past 72 hours or so has sent a notice in one of your groups with my account.

1. If it is a link do not click on it, as the way I think my account was compromised moreless is some type of tracking cookie or computer exploit. I can't be sure but none of my antivirus scans are picking up anything no malaware nothing.

2. If someone sent illegal content out using my account, know this possibly occur from my account I had no part in it, but report it to Linden Lab anyways so they can investigate and remove the content.

3. If they content was illegally Copy using my account, then please contact me in world, hopefully they do not gain access to my account again, and I will update my ticket to Linden Lab  again. I will also request LL immediately blacklist the full permissions objects so they can no longer be used to create new spoofed content however this is up to Linden Lab I would do it personally but don't control Linden Lab's actions.

4. Do not rez any items given to you by me recently in World these could do harmful things to other residents.

5. If Notices were sent out in some groups containing stolen content by all means please report it to Linden Lab, and possibly contact me I will update the ticket with the information, and group as well.

The sad thing is some of the full perm content I had in my inventory, and purchased rights to use from some of these merchants might have just been compromised I hope they just deleted it and didn't give it to themselves or save illegal copies of it.

Linden Lab really does need to update security.

While it is my responsibility to protect my own information, There are no virusus, trojans, or malaware being detected on my pc and I am still running additional scans to detect such. This should not have occur, and I will explain why.

Lots of peoples online accounts are getting hijacked, never thought my SL account would ever become hijacked but it did, we are talking games like GuildWars 2, World OF Warcraft, etc.

The Solution give better protection.

1. Give an authinticator keychain like World OF Warcraft that gives one time use codes.
2. When a person logs into their SL account send them an email require they click a link and authroize the IP address or do not allow the user to login.
3.Add secret question verification so once the link is clicked you have to answer a random secret question.

Additionally add the option to not have any security function on your account for those few who might not want the protection.

GuildWars 2, Nexon, NCsoft, Blizzard are all gaming industry companies that has this along with many other MMO's Second Life however lacks this.

For all I know this could possibly be a breach in LL security, or someone who guessed a Linden Password, or something I have no clue all I know is 3 days ago my account was fine or something like that I login today everything is gone my profile is changed ETC.

Also please note that anyone in Second Life (Bad Mouthing) My SL name like I am the griefer who did this will be publically made note of reguardless of if you are another merchant, a friend, or just someone I don't know. I have very little tolerance for those who wish to help these Griefers even after getting my account Compromised and idiots still feel the need to come after me like I Hijacked my own account. Its too bad them moron griefers didn't take a few bucks from my bank account because then I could have made it a federal investigation, and who knows maybe I still can.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I think the email (you probably realixe this) you got from SL about the attempt to change your password was a phisching excercise and wondering if you used their link to log in to change your password, if you did you gave them everything they needed to clear you account. i have recieved many emails over the years, some from SL, trying to get me to log in and confirm my details. the SL one s that tell me my password was attempted to be changed, first thing i do is track where that email came from with email tracker software. if it looks genuine (it never has) than i will log in with my own link, not one supplied. but always if looks like it has come from west africa, or germany, the sender has tried to mask the place of origin so i delete it without even having to open it. (opening it only tells them that 1) your email address is genuine, 2) you have an SL account and they will keep trying at different times in the future.  good luck and i hope you get you stuff back. probably wont though.

wiked Anton wrote:

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I think the email (you probably realixe this) you got from SL about the attempt to change your password was a phisching excercise and wondering if you used their link to log in to change your password, if you did you gave them everything they needed to clear you account. i have recieved many emails over the years,
some from SL
, trying to get me to log in and confirm my details. the SL one s that tell me my password was attempted to be changed, first thing i do is track where that email came from with email tracker software. if it looks genuine
(it never has)
than i will log in with my own link, not one supplied. but always if looks like it has come from west africa, or germany, the sender has tried to mask the place of origin so i delete it without even having to open it. (opening it only tells them that 1) your email address is genuine, 2) you have an SL account and they will keep trying at different times in the future.  good luck and i hope you get you stuff back. probably wont though.

"some from SL, trying to get me to log in and confirm my details."

REPEAT AFTER ME:

"Note: Linden Lab NEVER asks for your Second Life password, your credit card details, or other personal information via email!"

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Email_Scam_%28Phishing%29_FAQ

• 2 years later...

Oh wow omg I'm so so sorry iv been hacked to but luckly all that was deleted was a couple of friends but I reaadded them and explaned but my inventory items and my Ls were untouched that be enough to make me quit SL but if you do carry on and get your account back up reset the password make it strong letters and numbers upper and lower case but easy for you to remeber like a pets name or loved ones name and a date like TiDdLEs/25/12/2014 that's a hard one I'd say that's an example that's not my password lol but mine is along same idea and the golden rule give the password to NOONE do write it down in RL like in a diary till you remeber it but I really do hope you get your inventory and Ls back that really six and LL gets the hacker and bans them for live good luck Hun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.