A Friday Discussion

LlazarusLlong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

I'll keep it simple for a change.

Would you put up with an advertising screen during teleportation on non-premium accounts?

I say, go for it.

But then, I am a premium account so I would expect to NOT have them. For non premiums, well pff, go ahead and advertise.

This is pretty smart thinking. :-)  (And I am not premium, but I can turn off tp screen.)

Ooh, I didn't realise one can turn the tp screen off, probably a feature in TPV's as I cannot find the option in my LL Viewer?

Yup.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

Why would an advertiser want to pay for an ad that get seen for the 2-3 seconds it takes to teleport? The only way the ad would work is if LL were to increase the TP time. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that. Oh, It's Saturday! I guess this discussion has run it's course.

Oh I dunno, I have been in teleports long enough to watch the complete LOTR Trilogy...
:P

:smileyvery-happy:

I dont know that much about advertising, and I certainly drag my heels about doing it for my store, but I do know that brand recognition is a "thing". So if the words "La Galleria" are familiar to someone, that is a good thing, and that is all an ad would need to accomplish -- just flash the name with a picture. I would do it (well depending on what the price is).

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

Why would an advertiser want to pay for an ad that get seen for the 2-3 seconds it takes to teleport? The only way the ad would work is if LL were to increase the TP time. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that. Oh, It's Saturday! I guess this discussion has run it's course.

Oh I dunno, I have been in teleports long enough to watch the complete LOTR Trilogy...

I think I've been in teleports long enough to read it... o.O

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Part of the LOTR algorithm:

10 Walk

20 Talk

30 Fight

40 Goto 10

In fact, that's the whole trilogy summarised, which could save those who haven't seen it a lot of wasted time.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I could see that being exactly the way it would be implemented. You teleport, the ad comes up and you have to wait a certain amount of time before the teleport completes. It'd be a smart move to add a link to the Premium account sign-up ("Bored with ads? Click here to go Premium!").

It wouldn't be impossible for LL to follow the model of ads that play before youtube videos. Ten to thirty seconds of unskippable ad, then a button to complete the teleport. If you don't click it, the ad continues playing until you bring your attention back to SL.

Do I want something like this? Right now I have a Premium account, so as the question is stated it wouldn't affect me directly. The indirect effects of possible increased revenue vs residents quitting in disgust are harder to predict, but it doesn't seem to have done youtube any damage.

Kelli May wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

I could see that being exactly the way it would be implemented. You teleport, the ad comes up and you have to wait a certain amount of time before the teleport completes. It'd be a smart move to add a link to the Premium account sign-up ("Bored with ads? Click here to go Premium!").

It wouldn't be impossible for LL to follow the model of ads that play before youtube videos. Ten to thirty seconds of unskippable ad, then a button to complete the teleport. If you don't click it, the ad continues playing until you bring your attention back to SL.

Do I want something like this? Right now I have a Premium account, so as the question is stated it wouldn't affect me directly.
The indirect effects of possible increased revenue vs residents quitting in disgust are harder to predict
, but it doesn't seem to have done youtube any damage.

Retention would drop to zero. Those who actually stayed and remained non-premium, we woulds lose about half of those.

Kelli May wrote:

If retention drops to zero, then surely everyone has quit?

If everything that people said "would cause a massive numbers of people to leave" actually did, by sometime in mid-2013 the number of humans in SL would actually have become negative, meaning that there are humans in RL being controlled by SL avatars.

Actually, that would explain a lot...

As I've aged, my retention has dropped near zero. (Although my wife would claim I've achieved it.)

The truly frightening undercurrent of this concept is that I can totally grok why MBA types would develop palpitations over a concept like this. The sheer number of TPs that occur every day would offer a massive potential audience. I can even imagine them requiring the "Advantage Offers" screen be enabled for all non-Premium customers, even in TPVs.

But I suspect the outcome would be entirely the wrong direction for LLs bottom line. Those of us that are non-Premium retain our "Freeloader" (please direct all hate mail to "verysensitive@bs.com") status with an almost religious fervor .. but for many reasons more than just it being the cheap way to go. I honestly believe the actual behavioral change will be to decrease the number of teleports, which then results in less exploration, which then results in less traffic to stores and other venues .. 

Which finally results in a rather steep decline in the overall shared experience, the desire to explore, and the interactive socialization that is one of the most important aspects of SL as it stands now.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Which finally results in a rather steep decline in the overall shared experience, the desire to explore, and the interactive socialization that is one of the most important aspects of SL as it stands now.

Yes. I truly believe that any inworld forced (pushed) advertizing would be very detrimental to Second Life experience.

No pushed inworld. Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.