Best way to control your avi in fast games ?

Cougo5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I am not a real "gamer" but recently I have been going to a sim that has fast action battles using various weapons in an elaborate 3-D environment.

I have been using the keyboard (a,w,d,s,e,c,m, plus the mouse to fire with), to control my avi. I do OK but I notice some players are  faster than I and yesterday I learned (on an unrelated site) that there is such a thing as a "game pad" which is designed for this purpose.

Will much be gained by purchasing one of these and using it in place of the keyboard controls? Are there other control devices I should know about? Where can I get advice on improving my game?  Thanks Lots, Cougo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Cougo,

Your best best would be to buy an aftergolw xbox controller from Gamestop or one of the "big box" stores. I know Wal Mart also has them. It has a USB cord that plugs right into your PC. Next, you will want to download a program(app-I'm an old fogey LOL) called " Xpadder". This is a button mapping program that lets you assign buttons of the controller to keystrokes on your keyboard. So, your WASD and direction keys could be "mapped" to the control stick. All of the other shortcuts that you use in the game can be assigned to the controller as well, provided you already have them assigned on your viewer. I would, however, reccomend that you still aim and fire with your mouse. FPS games are always a little better on PCs for this reason. PM me if you have any more questions.

Azuro.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.