Being a pilot in Second Life - why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

This is a serious question and no bashing intented. Just in case.

I have looked in youtube at a couple of videos about flying a plane in second life. It all sound very interesting. In fact I am getting curious about trying it and writing about it. My friend Tristan got me intrigued about that when he took me on a trip on his Steampunk plane.

Now there is one thing that I have difficulties to understand: Why do people use planes in Second Life? Avatars can fly, so where is the point using a vehicle? What is the difference if there is one?

The obvious one would be flying together with someone else or part taking in combat games . ok I understand that. But other then that: Is flying a plane for recreational purpose or for sightseeing any different or any better than simply flying with your avatar?

I am really curious about this.

Also, does anyone know of air combat sims in Second life? I would so love to try that. Are there clubs were those plane people meet for fun or for chating? Schools available?

Are there planes or flight simulators which are kinda realistic m meaning you can actually see how a real life plane would work - like a realistic flight simulator? That would be very cool for me, because I have a flight phobia in Real Life (aka: **bleep**  scared when having to take a plane). Understanding the mechanics of flying a plane might help me (here is my reason hahah).

What else do you know about the subject? Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Aircraft are one of the few items in Secondlife I actually buy,

For me it's really about the fantasy of owning such an aircraft and the 'reality?' of owning a really nicely made item in SL, I spend far more time looking at them and admiring them than I do flying them.

Flight does require quite a bit of space I am lucky that I have reasonable sized region to play around in, but I still hit the edges sometimes and crossing sim borders is a bit of a gamble, I was once thrown to the edge of the sim where i was able to watch my Spitfire with another me in it plunge into the drink, that was pretty disturbing I can tell you.

I think aircraft flight of course has recreational value, but I wouldnt say its the best way to go sightseeing. There are air combat sims, theres even an aircraft carrier you can land on somewhere (or used to be).

I have a...

Sopwith Camel

Fokker Triplane

Super Marine Spitfire

B17 Flying Fortress

Boeing 747

Most of my aircraft are created by Bancos Milestone 

Although avatars can do a lot of things they can't in RL, the experience of some activities is enhanced by making them more like RL by using props and animations.

Flying a plane in SL is all about simulating the RL experience with the plaln as a prop.  It is not only a visual thing but with a plane that is scripted for it, it could very well be like flying a RL one.

Another good example is going underwater.  Yes, your avatar can walk underwater and view anything there without drowning.  However you'll find visiting underwater areas and gardens much more satisfying when you wear scuba equipment and use underwater swimming animations, or even become a mermaid.

Hi Caroline,

You may find these planes interesting too: 

With these little planes, it's not just about flying or air combat, but also collecting different models and even modifying them. Some adhere to a certain theme, such as World War I, http://youtu.be/DFYiwpvrSiw or 'long ago, in a galaxy far far away', http://youtu.be/MiWMu2ux-vU ...

The planes are not very realistic, and all the smoke and crashes may not help you conquer your flight phobia, but a lot of people find these addictive. You can give them a try for free at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Black%20Forest/174/61/21

After toddling around this vast univers that is SL.. I thought to myself..hey where can ou find something that you do and know how to do.. so I started looking.. I'm an air traffic controller in rl and thought if I could find some others.. how great would that be. I found a few airports... but there were all dead. Aviation woulld be a cool comuntiy to join if I could find one. If you see any during your venture could you let me know...

carolinestravels wrote:

Are there planes or flight simulators which are kinda realistic m meaning you can actually see how a real life plane would work - like a realistic flight simulator?

About realism: compared to flying in a proper flight simulator flying in SL is like using a toy.  SL cannot offer much realism in flying a plane, the runways are are ridiculously short, the regions are very small for flying, there is the occasional lag, sim crossings do not always work well, etc, etc.

Anyway, in spite of those SL shortcomings, flying in SL can be pretty fun experience, provided one does not expect much realism.  Small slow planes are best suited for SL environment.  The same can be said about small helicopters, they are fun to fly too.  Stay clear from fast fighter planes and big passenger airliners.  Those really need more space and realism in flying than what SL can offer.

Happy flying!  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Hi Leonard

On the airport I did visit are actually quite some people. Its a reather busy region. Its called "Hollywood Airport" and the region is called "Santa Catalina". They have a group as well. I am sure you can find like minded people either in that group or in the airport bar &restaurant. 

Here some pics and the slurl:
http://carolineinsecondlife.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/ready-for-take-off/ 

IM me in world. I am getting better with this every day and would be fun to do this with others together.. This morning actually i did my first flight from one airport to another without problems and ending it with a proper landing, not a crash as usual. 

I even bought a pilot outfit for this. Mad?

Coby

True its far away from a flight simulatur unfortunatly. But its fun, and you get a better feeling for SL Geography as well. Hey I know my way around the Nautilus continent now. Before this flying experience I ddi not even know that this continent actually exists. Also for sightseeing flying is great - especially with a helicopter.

And if your plane is big enough...well, sex in the clouds is a fun experience too: 
A steaming flight 

Try to visit Hollywood airport it is located in blake sea and there are lots of connecting airports around that area. They have also flying groups like hollywood airport association and they do rp atc too. They also made airport  maps with "low lag" flight route. I always go there to fly my planes and i love that area.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Although avatars can do a lot of things they can't in RL, the experience of some activities is enhanced by making them more like RL by using props and animations.

Flying a plane in SL is all about simulating the RL experience with the plaln as a prop.  It is not only a visual thing but with a plane that is scripted for it, it could very well be like flying a RL one.

Another good example is going underwater.  Yes, your avatar can walk underwater and view anything there without drowning.  However you'll find visiting underwater areas and gardens much more satisfying when you wear scuba equipment and use underwater swimming animations, or even become a mermaid.

what Amythest said,  the majority of my SL is spent finding things that can emulate stuff that I could do in RL but one reason or another prevents me from doing so, in a satisfying manor, for example flying a plane, sure I COULD take a ton of lessons, get a pilots license and buy a plane.....or I can just fly a plane in SL

I have a Prefabrica Sea Kite, great little sea plane, flying it is fun, and what is especially fun is taking my friends up to go skydiving out of it 

Snapshot_005.png

my best flight with it was I took off from the Hollywood airport, flew it acroos the Blake Sea and came in for a landing at the dock at the SS Galaxy, fun trip

Interesting question. In RL I actually am a Helicopter Pilot. I have a commercial license and pick up work when i can. I like to also fly in SL because ... I can enjoy the views and perspective in SL as i would RL from above. There is something about the restraint of view an aircraft gives, while also giving a great view because of altitude. I'm not sure why i bother flying aroudn in SL. But there is certainly a them or roleplay there. 

Also you can get away with launching rockets at someones building and not being killed or arrested. LOLOLOLOL

• 1 month later...

Why fly a plane?

Role play, sort of.

Since they are different, you get a different experience. They are not all scripted the same.

Challange. It is...uh...challanging! Tip: FLy high, people put barriers over thier land up to a hight! Plus, I have heard but haven't tested that if you put a plane into 'temp' after you rez it (make sure it is a one that has copy perms, and drag and rp from inventory on the ground NOT drop it from your avatar if you put it on your avatar!) it will not get returned when you fly over parcels with no more prims allowed on them!

Uh....well. Other than the different experience, I would say that people like to collect and compare stuff. Plus, some have weapons.

I personally find sim borders to be a pain. Private islands or watching borders closely (or travelling very slow...I mean, we are talking like 15mph or slower lol) helps, plus wearing less attachments on the avatar. Uh...well, yeah. Sadly....I don't fly much because of all the junk that goes wrong when I do!

• 3 weeks later...

The only way I would use a plane in SL would be to make a short film or shoot a scene, otherwise I woud just use the avatar's FLY option.

As for your fear and wanting to explore flying without actually getting in a plane, I don't know if you would experiment that fear, probably not. However, I think it is pointless to pretend to do a good flight simulation within SL.

If you really want to try some realistic -yet cheap- flight simulation I can highly recommend Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The default planes are ok for starters. If you want to get into a more realistic system simulation you would then need to buy a full aircraft add on (there are for many a/c such as Boeing 737. 747, Airbus, General Aviation, etc.)

I have been flying MS Flightsimulator for 17 years and I have some RL  fly experience.

As it comes to fly an airplane in SL,well it can be fun but its  playing with toys and has very little to do with RL flying.

Most 'pilots' in SL are more interested in the texture and sound of their planes than that they care about the flight dynamics...:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Hi Caroline.  It is the same with Space travel.  I know that I will never go into space (too old) so SL gives me a chance to experience it.  I own Lagrange Spaceport At Lagrange Point.  The residents there are all space fanatics, who love everything about space and space travel.  It is just a way for us to do, what we know we will never do in RL.  I hope this makes sense!

Peace!

• 11 months later...

Hi there I think most probably the most active airport in sl has to be Hollywood airport located on the Blake sea and you can fly over the oceans and there are tons of  islands. There are a few airports around on some of the islands and I think there is a airline scheduled every so often. But soon as you fly over Maineland it really goes downhill and you will be dodging Sky Box’s and ban lines.

WW2 seems to have picked up I have some friends who joined them and they do have a fun time but they battle it out mostly in one sim and organize battles with other estates.

They all agree one of the big problems still is sim crossing. I fly a piper fixed prop and I really slow down for every crossing or if i go to fast the crossing could fail.

I am a flight sim fan in rl and I do have my PPL also and you can’t compare but it is still fun.  I also enjoy flying around in my steam powered airship. I have yet try a helicopter.

I heard a neat rumored about space.  Aperrantly LL would like to create and second layer of space above so all those space setters will be able to float around and have space stations and people flying around in xwing fighters or what ship you might have. Could work out well and cut down lag possibly. This came from a reliable source who used to work for LL but like anything we just have to wait and see.

SLRP-HUB

• 1 month later...

You'll find that some aircraft behave more like toys than others. I fly helicopters a lot and find some are basic because they're designed for enjoyment and roleplay without needing to train. You let go of the controls they stop in the air. Others behave much more dynamically and if you release the controls you crash. My favourite helos right now are 'Spijkers and Wingtips' (search marketplace for it) or go to Honah Lee Trudeau secondlife://Honah%20Lee%20Trudeau/116/144 they also cross sim borders far far better than some as they don't do crazy upside down stuff when you cross over.

If you go to hollywood airport and look around you'll find a Ban Line and Parcel HUD, which acts like a radar showing you which parcels are how full, which have ban lines and when you're above the ban lines, etc. With this you can cross the mainland without drama. This really is the magic tool of most 'serious' SL pilots.

Some people do hire pilots too for jobs like weddings, birthday parties and so on. Which is fair enough as an elegant take-off or landing takes time to master.

As for cars and bikes, yes I have them but never took to it. What I have heard though is that some of the sailboats here have very detailed scripting and handle quite realistically. Must be fairly good as there are regular yacht races around Nautilus and the Blake Sea area.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.