Kudos in other areas

Roseysun Galicia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Roseysun Galicia wrote:

It would be nice to be able to give Kudos for all posts no matter where they are.  I have seen some posts in the People Forums that would be nice to give kudos for yet there is no option.

In spite of my intiial misgivings about kudos, I find I also would like to give it to all types of post.  Great suggestion, Roseysun.

I guess you weren't around when this system was about to be introduced.  The kudos were hated by nearly 100% of the users of SL forums.  It was seen as a popularity contest and would further the concept of "cliques".  And in all honesty I believe that is exactly what would have happened.  But, me being me, I would have liked it too.........for the fights and battles that would erupt.  LL doesn't like that (and many users of the forums claim they don't either..........not nearly as many actually do as those who  say they hate such stuff).  I suppose it was a wise move on LL's part.  These forums are much calmer the way they implimented the feature.  It actually works pretty well in Answers and on the limited forums they allow it now.  General discussion?  Another story.............it would be fun (for me) but this place would be a mine field.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I guess you weren't around when this system was about to be introduced.  The kudos were hated by nearly 100% of the users of SL forums.  It was seen as a popularity contest and would further the concept of "cliques".  And in all honesty I believe that is exactly what would have happened.  But, me being me, I would have liked it too.........for the fights and battles that would erupt.  LL doesn't like that (and many users of the forums claim they don't either..........not nearly as many actually do as those who  say they hate such stuff).  I suppose it was a wise move on LL's part.  These forums are much calmer the way they implimented the feature.  It actually works pretty well in Answers and on the limited forums they allow it now.  General discussion?  Another story.............it would be fun (for me) but this place would be a mine field.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

As I recall not everyone voiced an opinion against kudos or rank.  There were those that liked the system. Nothing is every 100% of anything.

Edited to make a correction:

I read this "The kudos were hated by nearly 100% of the users of SL forums. " As "The kudos were hated by 100% of the users of SL forums."  Sorry about that.

Basically I have been around as a reader/lurker since the old forum was in place and recall the transition to the new system.  All systems have flaws and none are perfect.  I know in the new setting the fighting and bickering has pretty much disappeared.  I attribute that to the moderation of the new forum more than anything.

Kudos to me are a genuine appreciation of what was posted for whatever reason.  Even now in the other areas where it is at kudos are from what I see given to and from people who know each other or have given and gotten kudos from each other before. 

You missed the edit to the other post:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Forums-Feedback/Kudos-in-other-areas/m-p/994173#M2038

I do not recall it being nearly 100% that didnt like kudos.  In fact I recall threads from people who wanted to give kudos to other people in other threads and were giving "kudos" inside of posts to others who posted in the thread. 

I do recall a lot of voices against the ranking system and how that was done.  Kudos are just little stars to give appreciation for something.

Bottom line is that I would like to see kudos given in all forums..........just from a slightly different angle.  Any "kudos" (stars, or whatever) and, to a certain extent, rankings will find a way to be abused.  I am one who really doesn't mind that kind of stuff..........because, I'm one who actually pays next to no attention to those things.

I keep my kudos visible just to..........I don't know, maybe make fun of the people who think such things are important?  Sorry, I'm that way.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Roseysun Galicia wrote:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

As I recall not everyone voiced an opinion against kudos or rank.  There were those that liked the system. Nothing is every 100% of anything.

Edited to make a correction:

I read this "The kudos were hated by nearly 100% of the users of SL forums. " As "The kudos were hated by 100% of the users of SL forums."  Sorry about that.

Basically I have been around as a reader/lurker since the old forum was in place and recall the transition to the new system.  All systems have flaws and none are perfect.  I know in the new setting the fighting and bickering has pretty much disappeared.  I attribute that to the moderation of the new forum more than anything.

Kudos to me are a genuine appreciation of what was posted for whatever reason.  Even now in the other areas where it is at kudos are from what I see given to and from people who know each other or have given and gotten kudos from each other before. 

I agree, I heard a lot of people unhappy about ranks, but the only negativity towards Koodies was in their connection to ranks.

As far as I know, the Lithium ranking sytem gives the option of selecting  from up to about 50 different criiteria that can be used to determine rank. I assume, but don't know for a fact, that LL has opted to usekoodies as one of the criteria here, but I think as an option, it would be nice if the Koodies could be given on ALL forums & removed as having anything to do with rank, so that they really were just a "nice" thing for people to give each other, even if it was just for a cool badge or a funny comment. That way it would not be tainted by the arguements one way or the other to do with the whole ranking debate & there would be no need for any accusations of "gaming" it.

Void Singer wrote:

as far as I can tell they are sectioned off... they only count towards rank in the answers section.

Oooh that's interesting, because Answers might be behaving more like a normal forum after its fixed, so maybe they won't count towards rank there either after that.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

as far as I can tell they are sectioned off... they only count towards rank in the answers section.

Oooh that's interesting, because Answers might be behaving more like a normal forum after its fixed, so maybe they won't count towards rank there either after that.

Ohh, well then it would be good if they could also remove the kudos from influencing rank.  I didnt know they had anything to do with someones rank. 

What about something as simple as a "Like" button, as just about every other forum in the world has?  It needn't be tied into "ranks" at all, and so wouldn't be gamed.  It would just be a way to show appreciation for a post that one agreed with or thought particularly worthwhile.

But I don't suppose Lithium has the capacity for that.

That would be nice... I do like the forums that have the functionality to click a button to respond different ways, as in: Agrees - Disagrees - Hugs - Shrugs - Slaps - Kicks - Bites - Groans - Moans - Throws the dog a bone... you know what I mean. But that's probably asking too much and, honestly, I'm not too sure that would really be all that beneficial, but it might be fun. Meh... anyway...

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.