Is The Lithium Spell Checker On Drugs? Share The Gaffes.

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While on the one side many (or at least some of us) have been annoyed by the word filters in the Forums, on the other side I am constantly amused by the spell checker here.  As you see them, share the gaffes here.

Spell Checker.JPG

Spell Checker 2.JPG

I found it especially amusing that a suggested replacement for 'blogs' is 'flogs.'

I've noticed that if I put "..." in the middle of a sentence... which I am so fond of doing... then try to finish the sentence starting in lower case it shows up as misspelled when I check. I find it aggravating, but I do understand why it works that way.

I would prefer to use the spell check that's built into my browser, but it doesn't work with this software. sad-007.gif

...Dres

ETA I just realized this really had nothing to do with the OP... I need more coffee dammit... lol

technically, the if/If suggestion is correct, but you would think the stupid thing would have been preloaded with some of the more common SLang.

PS@OP's sig
if you have enough energy and breath left to giggle afterwards, I don't think much of you partners skills

I do miss the ability to use the local spellcheck which I've taught to behave and understand all the LSL keywords. th only way I can get it to work here is to use HTML view (in which case I have to teach it html syntax) or to turn off rich text editing entirely... angry

Void Singer wrote:

interesting software, but it doesn't seem to pick up on things like SLang and skips things like PI_BY_TWO, or PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, or the missing capitalization at the beginning of the post.

Yes, that's with all options enabled.

One thing I noticed it has is a "learn" feature.  What I wonder is if that 'learning ' is just saved on my computer or if the host learns.  Gosh, the fun that we can have if we are teaching the host.  Wicked, evil, nasty thoughts.  Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.  Cackle, cackle.

Perrie Juran wrote:

One thing I noticed it has is a "learn" feature.  What I wonder is if that 'learning ' is just saved on my computer or if the host learns.  Gosh, the fun that we can have if we are teaching the host.  Wicked, evil, nasty thoughts.  Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.  Cackle, cackle.

on the website spellchecker? that's saved locally.

I do like that AtD lets the Firefox spellchecker run on the rich text box... THAT is nice.

Void Singer wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

on the website spellchecker? that's saved locally.

I do like that AtD lets the Firefox spellchecker run on the rich text box... THAT is nice.

AtD???  What is this.  I'd love to see the Firefox spellchecker working in this.  How do I get that to work here?

Perrie Juran wrote:

AtD???  What is this.  I'd love to see the Firefox spellchecker working in this.  How do I get that to work here?

It's an add-on for Firefox: After the Deadline. once you install it you have to go to Tools/AtD preferences and click "Allow Firefox spellchecker on AtD enhanced forms".

And thank you Void for pointing it out... it's great. clap.gif

...Dres

Perrie - thanks for the heads up on this.  We put in a request to add "blog" and "blogs" to the spell checker, so that should go into effect at some point this week. 

I believe the reason "if" is showing up in the list is because this is a first word in a sentence -- and the spell check is alerting the poster that it is not capitalized. It will do this if any opening word in a sentence is not capitalized.

If you are finding other common words not being found in the spell check, please let me know, and I will work with Lithium to get them added in.

Raymond Linden wrote:

Perrie - thanks for the heads up on this.  We put in a request to add "blog" and "blogs" to the spell checker, so that should go into effect at some point this week. 

I believe the reason "if" is showing up in the list is because this is a first word in a sentence -- and the spell check is alerting the poster that it is not capitalized. It will do this if any opening word in a sentence is not capitalized.

If you are finding other common words not being found in the spell check, please let me know, and I will work with Lithium to get them added in.

Thank you for your response.  The capitalization problem is somewhat hit and miss.  In some instances it has been because the word has been at the beginning of a sentence.  But not always.  I had seen a few other words come up as not 'existing' but at the moment I don't remember what they were.

If I see others I will add them.

Torley Linden wrote:

Good gosh. I've moved this thread to Community Feedback since it's decidedly ON-TOPIC for this.

No, we don't approve of our tools coming into work under the influence...

This is like the community.secondlife.com equivalent of

That site is awesome.  It reminded me of a suggested word replacement the Yahoo mail spell checker once made for me.  I had typed "FCC's" (for federal communications commission) and Yahoo recommended the word "Firetruck"  with the letters in the middle removed. 

I have posted a screen shot here:  http://tinypic.com/r/nq9tlz/7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.