ALIENWARE AURORA GAMING DESKTOP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I"m in the market to purchase a new Aleware Aurora Gaming Desktop.  Are the following video cards compatable with SL? If yes, which is the best to get?  I checked the Dell site and the recomended video cards are not part of Dell's selection.

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 with 3GB GDDR5

Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti graphics with 4GB total (2x 2GB) GDDR5 – NVIDIA SLI® Enabled​

Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5

You should consider posting this question in "General Second Life Tech Discussion" under the "Technology Forum".   I'm afraid your post may not be noticed in this "Forums Feedback" area.

I'm not an expert, but I do know the NVIDIA GTX 780 is a chip I would love to have!

I have a hunch that having two of them might be overkill, but I'll leave that for somebody more tech savvy to advise on.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I'm running dual 760 TIs in my MMO / Gaming Rig, and it is, grossly overkill.. 

The problem with latency, graphic lag, and all that other hooey has very very little to do with most people's current hardware and everything to do with the delivery of that content to your computer.   Take for instance World of Warcraft, or any of these newer MMOs which deliver a nearly twitch based reaction time.  Why is that?    The reason is, they operate differently in the method of delivery of that content. You have to also keep in mind that they don't constantly have to worry about pushing user created content at each individual player, so things load, bam there they are, no lag.   Considering the complexities of handling user created content, Linden Labs has done a pretty significant job in getting a system in place to do so.  

Without seeing the code and working in it, I'm speculating, but I'd imagine that Second Life's latency issues revolve around keeping up with an ever changing world.  It's a monumental task to handle a constantly revolving game world where each person could and probably is running around wearing personalized clothing, driving a personalized car, etc etc.

In truth, a dual 760 TI SLI set up, is definitely overkill, yet let's face it, if your gonna upgrade, you might as well make it a beast of a machine, at least then you'll be current or slightly ahead of the average gaming rig.  My dual core gaming rig until about 3 months ago, played World of Warcraft and Star Wars - The Old Republic, smoothly with no latency at all, on mid to high settings, and I built that rig about 10 years prior.  My new rig which is twice the rig my last one was, should last me another 10 years, assuming there are no major issues or hardware faults, but then again, I play many many other titles in addition to my time in Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.