Featured News

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

Welcome to the New Second Life Community Platform

Vogt Linden

Today, we are pleased to launch the new, and much improved, Second Life Community website. The new platform integrates Blogs, Forums, Answers, and the Knowledge Base into one powerful integrated system that enables you to more efficiently leverage the power and knowledge of the community. We have also redesigned the Customer Support Portal around this platform to make it easy to find the most relevant answers to your technical support and customer service questions online or to contact us when your issues are more complex.

Take a look at this video to get an overview of the many benefits that the new platform offers.

In addition to the video, we also wanted to share some helpful information and anticipate a few of your questions:

• Unified Search: You can find the information that you’re looking for in one federated search field that returns organized results from relevant content in the Forums, Blogs, Answers, and the Knowledge Base.
  • Single Sign On: You do not need to be logged in to read the community content, but you do need to be logged in to contribute. Just use your normal Second Life username and password to login. 
  • Share Blog Posts and Knowledge Base Articles: If you find an interesting blog post or Knowledge Base article, then you can now share that information on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks. Other kinds of content, such as user-generated comments, Forum posts, etc., will not have this functionality available.
  • Contribution-Based Roles: You will notice that each person in Second Life has a role, or rank, based on his or her contributions to the platform. The roles start at Resident and go up to Helper and with each rank comes more capabilities. So, keep those contributions coming and watch your community platform ranking rise.
  • A Smarter SL Answers: Try out the new Answers section. You’ll immediately notice that when you type a keyword, an intuitive category search will return common matching solution results. And, solutions accepted by the question author are automatically nominated for Linden editorial review and possible inclusion in the Knowledge Base.
  • Please Resubscribe to RSS Feeds: If you had an RSS feed on the old blogs or forums, then you will need to resubscribe to the RSS feeds that interest you in the new system. We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • FAQs Help You Get Acclimated: We have created a detailed Frequently Asked Questions area for each section of the new system that will get you up and running in no time.
  • Yes, Archives Are Still Available: We preloaded Answered questions, Blogs, Forums, and the Knowledge Base with recent posts and/or solutions to get the conversations started. However, if you want to find older content that was available in the old platform, then you can still access it through search in read-only format.

Thanks for your patience as we transitioned to the new system. Start exploring, contributing, and let us know what you think. As is always the case with new systems, you may run into bugs. If you do, then log them on JIRA. And, if you have general feedback on the community platform, then share it with is in the Feedback section of the Forums.

Deutsch

Français

Español

Português

141 Comments

Recommended Comments

Will we be able, at some point, to post images that have not been uploaded to our profile page?  (e.g., from our Flickr pages)

Is it possible to subscribe to a blog (say I want LDPW) and NOT get deluged by comments?  I always wanted to be notified of specific Linden or Dept blogs

Can an obvious link to each blog's RSS feed be made, so we can subscibe to what we like by section?

And, will a mobile-compatable format be introduced soon?

@Lexbot

They don't seem to have custom avatars in Blog comments here, but in the forums you can select a preset one, or  from your image uploads.

Now, would be nice to see some sort of auto-reply quote functionality here in the blog comments. 

• Lindens

Friendly greetings everyone! It's awesome to be back.

Some bits I hope will help:

@Maureen Right now we're not allowing that due to security issues, see Yoz's explanation in http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Everything-Else/When-trying-to-use-images-I-get-this/qaq-p/704209 As for the future, I don't know.

@Marx Let's just say we had some fun with alt names when testing.

@Yoshi YESSSS! Definitely worth highlighting and using extensively.

@Holocluck Not sure of that yet, I notice the default RSS feed for this post has comments. Hm, worth researching.

@Ghosty Some web browsers show a special icon or other indicator that enables subscriptions. Various newsreaders like Google Reader also have feed detection.

@Lexbot You can definitely upload avatar pictures, but they're not shown in this section — look in Answers or the Forums to see early examples. For how to upload avatar pictures,

or read the text instructions I linked above in Maureen's reply.

@Sling Oh, we have a Community Feedback section. :)

For those interested in getting an RSS feed of new articles in a particular blog, visit the blog and click on "Blog Options" (above and to the left), and select: "Subscribe to RSS Feed"

• Lindens

@Kadah Thanks for the screenshot, which browser is that in? Does anything happen if you try to click "Image Upload" or "Image Options"? I saw that briefly before but haven't been able to reproduce it. It worked for me on an alt account (Torley Olmstead) on Chrome on Mac OS X.

@Torley, Firefox 3.6.13 and no, I can't get the form to appear at all, Image Options doesn't have an action. It seems likely its being caused by the lithium.com XSS requirement of the new community site.

Thanks Vogt! And also Thank you Torley for the awesome tutorial. I'm still trying to figure out how to change the avatat picture, I better watch the video again! 

@Torley, Btw torley you are an e-hawt e-chick! 

ETA: I found out how to add a profile picture, it would be nice if you could upload the picture from the same screen as the avatar screen makes no sense to have to navigate to the profile to do so. 

• Lindens

@Kadah Thanks, I've escalated that problem to our Community Platform team. If anyone else is having the same image upload issue as Kadah, please say so.

@George *blush*

Kadah or George, would you mind logging in and out 2 or 3 times then trying the image upload again?  It may fix the issue.