Visit the DESTINATION GUIDE for awesome places!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Are you looking for awesome places to visit in Second Life? Visit the Destination Guide, it's our showcase of hot spots from around the virtual world, sorted by category and curated with care. (Kinda like Lonely Planet with pixels.)

Then, you can discuss your fave places in this forum. :)

You can learn more about the Destination Guide, and we encourage you to help make "the DG" better: 

Parallel Worlds at Farstar New Earth | Second Life.jpg

• If you're on Facebook, you can like a place to show your support. Since these places are created by Residents like you, the creators like knowing you love their stuff!
  • Is a place broken? For example, you teleport inworld and nothing's there. ARGHH. We want to know! Email us at editor at lindenlab dot com and if you don't see results in a few days, reply in this thread — I'll be watching.

Is there a cool place that should be in the DG that isn't? Submit it to us.

Thank you from the ever-exploring Editorial Team @ Linden Lab!

The SL Destination Guide is great. It gives new residents an idea starter point and just shows everyone the level of creative imagination that we all have.

However.... I would personally like to see an in-world voting system built into the viewer or from the stats of the SL servers. Not the "traffic" number, but a simple Linden Lab made tool to "Vote For This". Then display that on the Guide.

The Facebook Like button is a poor tool to give new residents an idea of popular places. This Like tool is easily abused by the "business merchants" and doesn't reflect a true concensus of how favoured that destination is. I can agree, it's a difficult task, but reducing the methods to a streamed system would be favoured by all. (Hints on the Group Chats ;) )

Besides, we are VIRTUAL not REAL when in SL, so why do we need to give out our personal RL details (upon clicking Facebook Like) to justify our virtual existance. Alas, a topic for another post in another board here for this wonderful Community forum.

Just my 3.142 cents. Happy exploring all.

Oh, and don't forget to visit Legacies 1891 (blatent plug but hey *shrugs* ) ;)

• Lindens

TriJin, a reason I love making posts like this is because they invite Residents like yourself to share — so I'm gonna check out Legacies 1891 (haven't been there yet).

However, I'm not clear on how "Vote For This" wouldn't be used by "business merchants" in a similar way. Effective promotion of this type is often based on word-of-mouth of friends or people who trust your taste. Regardless of core interests, if you can find a lot of people who support the same thing you do and you all vote for it, it's gonna get popular!

The Facebook quandary is a bigger one, since there are many Resis who use their virtual identity there. Its usefulness is dependent on your personal preferences — I don't actively use Facebook because I don't get a lot out of it. It's just a big time waste for me, as opposed to someone who genuinely enjoys commenting on friends' walls.

But yes, as we continue to develop web-SL integration, we'll need better ways to see stuff that's relevant to YOU (including because your friends have recommended it).

the "Like" button doesnt have any influence on what places make it to the Destination Guide, and dont make a place more or less important than another, just gives the creator an idea of how appreciated is the destination

another thing that the "Like" button does, is that allows those who have a Facebook account to easely share a place they like with their Facebook friends, they just have to click "Like" in a place of their preference in the Destination Guide

there are some people that dont mind mixing their real life with their second life that have a Facebook account, its great that those residents that prefer not to have a Facebook account, are free to not have it

I also am really impressed with the Destination Guide. I like the really well-defined 'type' granularity at the start, and I also like that in all but a couple of places I've visited the look and 'feel' of the sim was very much as advertised. Since I'm not a person with a 'destination' I can't comment on voting or anything like that, but my experience with the Guide as it currently exists has  been very good; way better than anything from the old method (forgot what it was called: showplaces?).

Great thread idea Torley!  I used the Destination Guide a few days ago to find an adventurous place to explore.  Went with a friend, and we were very impressed with Alpha Point. 

(Like visiting Barsoom if you've read any Edgar Rice Burrroughs)  It has layers of detail that I haven't seen since the now defunked Privateer Space Sim.) 

Quinn faking case closed!_001.png

This picture does not even begin to do justice to this amazing sim.  Visit it, so fantastic places in SL will survive and thrive. 

• Lindens

@Canoro Thanks for pointing that out, and yes, that's right, the "Like" button doesn't affect submission chances. What the Editorial Team does look for is an overall beautiful experience — and what helps us is if during your submission, you have a helpful description and a great picture that you feel accurately depicts your place. I also have a guide on how to take snapshots if you need help with that. :)

@Dillon Thanks for noticing that, we're definitely conscious of making the DG well-categorized.

@Celestiall Incidentally, one of my WindLight presets is inspired by Barsoom. ;)

Alpha Point + the experimental depth of field feature is pretty gorgeous. This isn't even the best pic I took, but...

5226791481_400986e8cd_b.jpeg

One of the places that fascinates me, is the 'The Leviathan Skeleton @Ahab's Haunt', this is a Linden sim and offers many activities for sailing (free rez zone for boats), diving, exploring or just chilling out on the beach, it is a mysterious place and the skeleton is so nicely built (/me still wonders what the history is behind this creature) :smileyvery-happy: *meows*

AHAB

AHAB

AHAB

AHAB

AHAB

AHAB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The whole suggestion system for the DG is seriously flawed. How does one suggest a destination that fits into a category other than "Hangout?" The way I am reading the suggestion page, it's mostly set up to allow people to suggest their own sims. You CAN theoretically suggest someplace your friends own or run, but only if its a hangout.

Why place such limitations on the suggestion system?

And if this isn't the case, how about rewriting the guidelines to make it more understandable?

For example, I recently thought that the Greek Isles Gacha Fair (http://slurl.com/secondlife/JB%20Islands1/104/102/2773) would be of interest to a lot of people. It's a large event, which runs all of August, and is being put on by the 'Stuff groups: Menstuff, Womenstuff & Homestuff, which are some of the largest groups of their kind. I'm not a principal in these groups, and see no way I can even suggest the event to the guide.

Am I missing something here or do you purposly make it way harder than it has to be?

While that might be true for certain categories, it's not true for all. I can't imagine a sim owner not wanting a "surge in traffic" for his or her event, for example.

As for ballet stuffing... I'm sure you capture IPs, so it would be reletivly easy to stop someone from suggesting an event with hundreds of alts or whatever. And if they can get enough friends to suggest an event, that doesn't really break the system, does it?

Anyway, I hope you will at least consider allowing suggestions to a somewhat broader range of categories other than "hangout."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.