Greeter Island with Linden Helpers!

Caitlin Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was not sure where to post this, as it may seem a bit odd for a Favorite Destination, but since I discovered Greeter Island today, I think it should be a LM in the inventory of everybody that meets new residents and want to send them to a proper place with proper help!

Greeter Island (in Destination Guide as well) is populated with official Linden Helpers, daily from 10AM till 6PM (SLT). I have been there to check it out, and was pleasantly surprised!

I say: good news and a new favorite destination for all new (and maybe not so new) residents!

Slurl:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Greeter%20Island/143/118/46

It is also a feature in the new viewer, 3.2.0.

You click on How To at the bottom of your screen (default location, you can put it wherever you want or get rid of it), the first option that opens is Get Live Help. It has the hours listed and a teleport button. (and a picture of a lady with a really cute bow in her hair)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

It is also a feature in the new viewer, 3.2.0.

You click on How To at the bottom of your screen (default location, you can put it wherever you want or get rid of it), the first option that opens is Get Live Help. It has the hours listed and a teleport button. (and a picture of a lady with a really cute bow in her hair)

Yup, cool innit?

But for those, who help people inworld and are not using V3.2, it's nice to know and to have a LM to hand out !

It certainly sounds like it should be on the Picks of all Linden employees, (and the bots dotted around the grid - slightly evilly grins). Certainly until everyone has the button on their viewer.

I think it is a wonderful idea; if someone newbie being griefed clicks and goes to Live help, that alone could be enough to help them deal with being griefed. Just to be able to TP away from a griefer I mean. 

It seems petulant of me to remark about it's pacific time convenient hours. 24 hour worlds need 24 hour help. Hopefully, LL will see the usefulness of Greeter Island and extend the hours.

Edited to add. I took a brief glimpse. Very welcoming. Helpful helpers.  Did get the impression, though, that unless they give out landmarks or actively encourage people to move on, Greeter Island runs the risk of becoming just like all the other infohubs inworld.  Great idea in principle though.

I got there just before closing time.

closing time.jpg

The new viewer (3.2) promotes the site well, so the info gets to new people.  

Here is a blog with screen shot

Viewer 3.2. Main screen, marked for beginners

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/11/kit-viewer-32main-screen-marked-for.html

The arrangement is beta now.  May change.  

There are official helpers there. They seemed able to handle requests when I visited.

In V2.3 there is  a "How to" button that offers to take them to live help.  That is how people get there with V2.3.    

I will write more about it when it gets out of beta.

TKR

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

There are official helpers there. They seemed able to handle requests when I visited.

In V2.3 there is  a "How to" button that offers to take them to live help.  That is how people get there with V2.3.    

TKR

Your blog is always helpful :).

I too use V3,2 and have seen it, and it is way better than we had before (if any) since the Mentor programme stopped. I always enjoyed being a mentor, and still help out - but this is a great extra to hand out if you run out of time or for any other reason can't help someone new.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

TKR

Your blog is always helpful
:)

I too use V3,2 and have seen it, and it is way better than we had before (if any) since the Mentor programme stopped. I always enjoyed being a mentor, and still help out - but this is a great extra to hand out if you run out of time or for any other reason can't help someone new.

When I want help with my Microsoft products, I go to the Microsoft website, and so I just wonder why all these other blogsites have been set up outside of all the official pages belonging to SL/LL.  It just seems to be too much information all scattered about all over the place. Every possible problem that arises in SL should be added to the Knowledge Base, and that Knowledge Base should be kept up to date. Am I offering to do it? No, but I'm putting Thinkerer forward for the role. :matte-motes-smile:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Something like this?

And something like this

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/English_KB%40tkb

And something like this

http://secondlife.com/whatis/?lang=en

And something like this

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Answers/qac-p/Answers

Haven't we/new people got enough places to be seeking out "official" answers to problems, via the Second Life own pages? Do newbies really have to be redirected to private blogsites where the information might be ... hmmm ... less accurate than it may be on the Second Life official web pages?  

This is great news!  I hope they expand the hours and add more employees once the word gets out and lines start to form to talk to one of the helpers.

As far as independent blogs, they have their place. 

The official sources of LL are mostly objective and give facts and it should not be otherwise.  This is where newbs should be directed first when they need factual information. 

The independent blogs though can cover a broader range of subjects in depth and can give them opinion and consumer guidance, or let newbs learn more details about a skill they are trying to master.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Something like this?

And something like this

And something like this

And something like this

Haven't we/new people got enough places to be seeking out "official" answers to problems, via the Second Life own pages? Do newbies really have to be redirected to private blogsites where the information might be ... hmmm ... less accurate than it may be on the Second Life official web pages? 

There are some third party blogs out there that are much more accurate and or informative than the official pages, depending on how in depth you need to get or if your focus is more concentrated than the casual user. Also, there can never be too much information. Well, yes, there can, but I mean info info, not drama info :P

but I get what you are saying, one centralized location where one could go for information would be wonderfull.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Humm...I do not have access to that SLURL now.  Perhaps they are assessing their first 'test' and tweaking.

Or it is after opening hours? They are only open from 10Am - 6pm SLT. (gotta love timezones, for me in GMT+1 is means they are open all evening and night..heheh)

When I first tried, it was 9:45AM and I landed on a simcorner in between banlines...I tweeted to @secondlife and their reply was that it is closed outside  'office hours'.

I find that a bit odd, because ppl will try to tp anyway - so why not let it open even if there are no Linden Helpers present , and put on some info-boards with times and such?

(I tweeted that too...heh)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

There are some third party blogs out there that are much more accurate and or informative than the official pages, depending on how in depth you need to get or if your focus is more concentrated than the casual user. Also, there can never be too much information. Well, yes, there can, but I mean info info, not drama info
:P

but I get what you are saying, one centralized location where one could go for information would be wonderfull.

Good. I'm glad I was understood. 

Putting myself into the shoes of someone looking for help, my starting point would always be an official forum. For Second Life, this one, of course. And while, I do agree fully with you that there are some third party blogs out there that give more in-depth, and very specific advice for those who aren't the average newbie/technophobe/person struggling to get a grip on the basics of Second Life (me again, remembering my early weeks in SL), there are certain people who somehow think it is ok to redirect people out to their own personal blogsite, which is nothing more than a chinese whispered version of things they have read on this forum, with nothing very much validated by their own experiences. And that really does p1ss me off (and you know me, generally, I go round hugging trees, looking out for rainbows and fluffy bunny rabbits).

I checked it out yesterday, together with a bunch of other ex mentors. The uniforms look....hmm not realy good and some helpers needed serious lessons in editing, their badges were floating in the air. One of them was wearing the pink polkadot shirt and pants under the...raincoat? And some didn't have an AO.

What struck me was that all avs were human, no furries, robots, or whatever. The helpers seemed friendly however and tried to adress the crowd. 

The questions around were the same as the ones we used to get as mentors: how do I get money, a house, change my clothes and how do I have you know what ;-)

It was kinda fun to just hang out there and see them work!

They have added some trees, benches and music to make it less sterile  I saw a helper answering building questions from a 4+ year old avie.

I hope this beta test is successful.  Certainly this is much better than being dumped at an Infohub or some of the other help areas.

ETA:  Laughs...they even had the obligatory flying turd griefer caling everyone a '**bleep**'.

Anita61 Anatine wrote:

<It was kinda fun to just hang out there and see them work!>

Yessss, it really is. I dipped in briefly for a few minutes. Very busy. Lots of friendly Helpers on hand (and I see what you mean about the name badges). Also spotted someone who was displaying his very big ....

..... moustache!

moustache.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.