Around All Continents

Dancy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made myself familiar with the various means of transportation in SL, walking, biking, driving, sailing, flying... and in the meantime I have traveled quite some distances. Some time ago an idea emerged with all that traveling - some sort of challenge. What would happen, what could be seen and experienced if one travels around a mainland continent, if one travels around all mainland continents? Possible? Impossible? Preferably by boat on the costal waterway, but then certainly with any other means too, since the waterway is not available at all times. This thread is intended to become some sort of log book in which I would like to share details of my trip and experiences of adventures. I am not sure if this thread is of some interest to the community at all, but I thought why not give it a try.

Before the trip starts, some planning is needed. What continents there are, what would be the route? I dont know if anyone has done a trip like this before. Will it be an unusual experience? The boat will be the Oceanic - an awesome sailboat. Its best feature is a hovertext which shows at all times how you should position your sail (whatever this is called in sailor language---I am such a newbie in sailing, and other things of course too!!). Another invaluable companion is a ban line hud which shows free and restriced areas, and---most important---areas where you can rez. You never know when the crash devil visits you and then you need a spot where you can puzzle yourself together.

In my next post I will talk about the route---so when you read more things are getting serious :matte-motes-big-grin:

One problem you may run into is that all the Continents are not connected.

We had a discussion about  this not too long ago.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/The-Continents-Together-at-last/m-p/2335199#M3631

A couple of years a go there was a thread by someone or it came up in a thread who was hiking all the Continents.  His goal was to visit every SIM.  My search mojo is failing me right now or I'd link it too.

You can sail around much of the Corsica continent, and entirely around the island to the east of Corsica. Thanks to a kind resident you can currently also sail down to Blake Sea using the east channel but that's pretty much subject to change whenever the renter on Rollo leaves. The company that has all those red hearts up pretty much puts up banlines as a policy.

Unfortunately there's also plenty of regular residents who block off protected water channels. I do what I can to regularly go around every few months and IM/NC people who blocked off the channels, sending an AR when necessary. On my own sim I provide buoys to clearly mark channels.

Thank you so much for giving these links! I was not aware of that many private continents and enjoyed reading about them.

I am planning to travel the mainland continents. And what comes to my mind now a good idea perhaps is to do that in the order of their age. Yes, only some continents are connected. So for those any starting point is good for the travel around. To reach it should remain the only allowed teleport.

Thank you so much for your comment. Yes, the Mystical Rental group is acting badly. They block traveling, put up ugly signs, which make the map soon useless according to the tempo they spread, they block airspace, waterways, and already a corner sim on the Corsica continent. And in mid-air red letters indicate no access. At least the red hearts tell mercilessly "Dont enter"---that helps when flying excet when you cant avoid crashing into them...

Thank you for your efforts to keep water ways open. Yes, why "protect" (against what?) the whole sim - owners are not there most of the time. Does not hurt anybody when a small passageway remains open for travel. There are even empty, abandoned parcels of significant size with ban lines up...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.