mesh clothing tutorials?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im fledgling in as much as I know ZIP about mesh other than it lets you do things you cant do with inworld sculpted prims. Ive been looking at some of the freebie tools like blender and art of illusion and Im just stumped. I dont want to learn everything there is to know. I JUST want to know, how do I bring the avi in, how do I use that to make clothes? and can I do it by pushing and pulling the mesh? I dont like the idea of stacking blocks together or making a board liik like a triangle that blows in the wind. I have skirt generators for that but its all toooooo limiting. Im tired of painting my clothes on my avi. I want to see those folks and such standing out...3d man 3d.

any good tuts, please please please let me know. Im such a noon where anything 3d is concerned I dont even know what terms to use to find what I need.

all I know is some seriouly excellent mesh clothing is being made and I want to learn how to do it. maybe Ill never be good at it...but I wanna try. 

hello, yep all that you are asking is possible, you just have to visit youtube for vids like "making rigged mesh clothes in blender" or somthing like that. there are about 5-7 great vids from one person that shows step by step from zero to the end all you need. But to say it is not as easy as you might think. it looks really easy when you just watching) anyway all is in your hands

can't post the link since have to look for it, if you will need help just im me

PS: those lessons are connected with exporting from sl to blender and preparing the existing clothing for upload in sl. still you will have to learn tools in blender to make clothing, this is also can be found in youtube search.

Tenly said: I dont want to learn everything there is to know. I JUST want to know, how do I bring the avi in, how do I use that to make clothes? and can I do it by pushing and pulling the mesh?
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry to say this, but if you want to get into creating mesh clothing from scratch, you really need to learn about proper mesh creation - from the basics up. If you don't, you are just setting yourself up for a world of pain, frustration and disappointment.

Now with that said, I must also say that mesh IS a skill which can be learned by people willing to make the effort to grasp the procedures involved. Which means going through all those boring "stacking blocks" tutorials etc - these are ESSENTIAL steps in learning the functions of mesh creation. If you don't learn the fundamentals, you have no hope of tackling the complicated tasks involved in modeling mesh clothing, rigging to fit the AV, UV-mapping for textures etc.

I'm not trying to frighten you (or anyone) off of mesh clothing creation - but I feel it prudent to make sure you know that mesh creation isn't something you just instantly pick up and start making clothing with. There is no magic "make clothing" button - any products/programs which claim to do so will still require a level of mesh skills to make use of what they supposedly produce.

Blender is a good program to start learning mesh with. There are plenty of Blender users who are regulars on the mesh forum here, so you have the benefit of others probably knowing how to fix/solve problems you might face. But definitely learn the basics of mesh creation via various Blender tutorials before you even attempt to start out with clothing. You would be doing yourself a serious disservice if you don't.

If you don't wish to go the learning route, you have the alternative of using full-perm prefab mesh clothing out there on the Marketplace. These are generally pre-made mesh clothing items, already rigged to fit the SL AV - and people use the supplied templates to create their own textures.
A pretty large percentage of the mesh clothing you are seeing on the Marketplace are exactly this - prefab meshes with customised texturing. Not all, but from what I have seen, this would account for the majority. If you look closely, the same meshes crop up again and again.
This is something you could consider - however the downside is that dozens of other merchants will be selling the exact same mesh... the only difference are the textures applied.

So in essence, those are your viable choices... either be prepared to put in the serious homework involved to learn the art of mesh creation properly, or purchase pre-fab mesh clothing from the Marketplace and work from there.

:matte-motes-smile:

• Like 2

agreed) you are saying the right things, it is like trying to to sum logarithmic equation without knowing 2+2=4 

anyway I tryed to start learning 3d for about 3 years downloaded a lot of softwear and just gave it up after few lessons... only about 3 weeks ago I just found it is much easier with blender and tutorials with video step by step. My dream came true and I just try to learn some simple stuff for now. even if it is not for sl it will be useful in future and I can thank for this sl and ppl who do tutorials)

thanks ladies for the tips and the wisdom. I guess Im going to have to sit down, dig out my old keyboard and mouse and just DO IT. ugh. 

Im not sure Ill ever be a mesh creator. but I have to give it a try. I sooooooo adore all the new mesh clothes. and I know it is going to replace a lot of the old way we were making clothes. not completely maybe....but I can forsee a blending of the two clothing methods.

I see where the future is headed...now I just have to get on board.

Thanks again! 

You are welcome and I wish you a lot of good luck in it)

also yep thiis is her) I just have forgotten her name, if you'll have any problems you can ask and get and answer in comments under vids) as I remember she checks this out)

oh This is really true, mesh has opened a lot of space to creativity, even more then sculpted maps)) as for me I am doing right now my first wedding dress and really hope to make all ok) wish me luck

Oh thank you sweetie)

I am going to create some stuff of different styles to work as a custom designer, just created my 1st dress and now have to upload in sl)) I will do a fashion show when finish stuff up and will place this as an event in forum so everyone could come and check it out since I have no store or something))

hope you'll reach what you want in mesh designs) and by the way YES in blender it is possible sculpt editing by pulling, pushing, etc but it is easier to start with triangles for a simple draft shape and only after it has a needed shape to go into sculpt editions) just an advise)

• 3 months later...

I am also curious to how rigged mesh clothing is created. Like i bought a fashion kit from MP and it has all the items if i wanna wear them, but it also has textures where i can make them myself as creator to. But that is where i am stumped. How do you make them?

Thank you in advance :cathappy:

There should be a UV map with the textures and maybe a shadow map. you have to take them into photoshop or gimp and use the template uv map to be a guide of where to put the textures or paint. . using layers. save out the image and upload it and apply it to the model... The UV is just a guide

• 9 months later...

Things in the 3D modeling world change quickly. So, the majority of Second Life mesh clothes tutorials go out of date pretty quickly. I wrote this tutorial Second Life Mesh Clothes Blender 2.6 Setup 2012 Tutorial mid 2012. It has been updated as I leaned more this past year. If you have been confused about which file has the REAL Default Avatar, it should clear up the confusion.

If your exporting avatar shapes from SL using OBJ or XML files, you are probably still having a problem getting mesh clothes to fit the custom shapes. I finally figured out what the problem is. See Second Life Shape Export.

If you do not know about standard sizes and the Mesh Deformer planned/hoped for SL skim through my coverage of them using this link: Second Life Mesh Deformer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.