issues with clothes ?

Kody Morgwain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings,

I'm getting into making clothes for myself. I have been working on a basic tunic, but when I upload it.. the preview looks fine, but it's see through when I wear the item. The colors and design are there, but you can see my avatar's skin and such underneath. How do I fix this?

Unless your textures need transparency, don't upload them as 32 bit files.  Choose 24-bit TGA or save PNG files with the "Save For Web" option, which forces them to be 24-bit textures.  You often need an alpha channel, however, in order to cut out necklines, sleeves, and other openings.  In that case, you have no choice but to use 32-bit textures.  Take care, however, that areas that are meant to be opaque are 100% white in the alpha channel.  Gray areas will be translucent to completely transparent depending on how dark they are.

Go to your viewer's Advanced menu, enter the Debug Settings, find the parameters 'RenderAutoMaskAlphaDeferred' and 'RenderAutoMaskAlphaDeferred', and make sure they're both set to TRUE.

Some viewers, such as Firestorm, have these settings available more directly (and intuitively) in their preferences.

Do you use Photoshop or GIMP? In Gimp (I guess in Photo$hop also) each layer has an opacity control. (slider above list of layers). If that is set to 100%, the fabric is completely opaque. (nothing will show through). At less than 100% then things beneath it will show through.

For example, I made a nighty with the main part 50% opacity, the bust 90%, and lace and trim at 100%. (different layers for main, bust, lace, and trim). You could see my (avatar's) bellybutton easily, but a little more discreet for the bust.

Marybeth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.