how to start creating clothing in sl no outside program plz

emmettcullen93

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am looking to create my own clothing to sell in a mall store along with other items i will create. can anybody give me pointers? also if anybody can correct me if i am wrong in saying "boxing items such as boxing a house would be putting the item, drag it into just a regualr box that i made just like putting a script on a item?"

Sorry emmett, but clothing creation requires outside programs. 

Standard clothing layers have to be created as textures and then uploaded to SL, then applied to a fresh clothing object.  You have to have an external image editor (like Photoshop or Gimp) to make those textures.

Mesh clothing requires a 3D modelling program, as well as an image editor.

I think to attempt this without using Gimp or Photoshop or something similar is going to be extremely limiting and almost pointless.

Clothes at a basic level are image files and if you have no way of producing or editing these, you aren't going to have much to work with. You could buy some basic prim skirts or some clothing sculpties and texture these with textures purchased in world, but this really doesnt give you much scope.

I wonder why you want to attempt this without the correct software, your question is a bit like saying  - how do I make a cake - but no oven plz. You are soon going to get bored of cheesecake and so will your customers!.

Gimp is free and so is the Photoshop Trial,  the internet is littered with 1000s of tutorials for both, many dealing specifically with creating for SL, there are lots of high quality clothing templates avaialble for free and on Marketplace that will be a great help to you, set yourself a goal, A T shirt with a design on it is a good simple place to start, and teach yourself what you need to achieve this. Very very few creators in SL have had any formal training.

Good Luck

you can create clothes in SL but the are very bland and basic and white and look flat and fake and noobtacular you will have to get some sort of image editing software that works with layers if you want to start making clothes Robin Sojourners T-shirt template and tutorial http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/RSW-TShirt.html is a fantastic place to start once you get competent with a template you can buy more from the marketplace or download the avatar UV templates and create your own clothing from scratch 

edit: reply was to OP

You've asked similar questions before and people have given similar responses about how to go about it. Are you looking into the links and information people have given you already? I am unsure if you are hoping for different answers but the http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Creation_Portal is a good place to start. Forum topics like clothing creation, how to create, making second life clothing, etc, and posts of the sorts have been asked many times so searching for the question you may have within the forums before you ask may answer a lot of them for you. Taking the time to do some research of your own for the things you would like to do will benefit you in the end. Google is also a great platform to find an endless amount of information regarding making clothing. You'll be able to find many helpful links that will answer many of the questions you may come to have about making clothing. Creating clothing (or anything within SL or RL) is something you have to invest time in to learn, no one else can do that for you. But if it is something you really want to do, then investing time is a small sacrifice for something that you may end up enjoying.

As others have already said, there is no point in creating clothing in SL without some sort of outside program. Your clothing will end up plain with no shading or wrinkles to give definition or to make your creations stand out. An outside program is a must. YouTube is a great platform to search as well in things you might like to know such as above, creating sl clothing, how to create SL clothing in Gimp/Photoshop, etc.

For selling items such as clothing you can put the items in a box (shirt, pants, etc). If you're selling on the marketplace then  you have the option of selling them boxed or in folders with the new direct delivery system. Here is a how-to on direct delivery and the marketplace.

1st question.....Others have answered this well. You can make clothes without any outside tools. These are called 'system clothes', made in appearance mode. Everyone is right in saying that this is creatively and technically so limited that there is little point. Learn Photoshop/Gimp to create your clothing textures as a first step. Then learn Sculpt Studio/Blender to begin adding sculpted and then mesh attachments. There are 5 bajillion tutorials out there floating about in Googleland.

2nd question....Yes..'boxing' means putting what you want to sell into the contents folder of a box. Just the exact same place that a script would go :)

I just will add a third option.  You can buy full perm clothing textures (not templates) in SL then use appearance to 'make' them.  But what you end up with isn't really unque since anyone can buy them, and the quality is only as good as the quality of the texture.  Other then the mods the sliders in appearance give you, about the only way to mod them is to use the color picker, but it gives a cheap looking result mostly.  The market for these clothes is about zero though.

ok well i guess i change my mind for now. i have searched but i dont want a outside program right now. i am helping somebody who makes clothing in apperance mode and they turn out not to bad. i was just interested due to making some of my own clothing. but would it stiil have a market for freebie clothing?

and thank you tiffy for helping me on my other question. i just had problems with perms on the item i boxed but i fixed it. now the script dont work right. go figure. :D but hey that is life.

As others have said, you can create clothes with just the system tools, but I think you'll find that a bit limiting.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd strongly suggest taking a look at Natalia Zelmanov's series of tutorials and examples at http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2006/11/build.html  They're a bit dated now, but they're still a very clear and useful introduction to clothes making (and making lots of other stuff) in SL.

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ok well i guess i change my mind for now. i have searched but i dont want a outside program right now. i am helping somebody who makes clothing in apperance mode and they turn out not to bad. i was just interested due to making some of my own clothing. but would it stiil have a market for freebie clothing?

The clothes made in appearance mode only, will look bland, featureless, amateurish. In a word, they will look really bad. You cannot make any shadings, with highlights and shadows, you cannot make wrinkless. They will just look like images in children's colouring book. They will have no resemblance of real clothes.

Freebie market for appearance mode made clothes? Well, you are out of luck. There wouldn't be any market for those. Nobody would take them even for free. :smileytongue: Why not? Because there are tons of good looking freebie clothes made with proper outside programs.

If you want to have some business, learn to make real looking clothes with outside program. There is no other way, trust us, we're not joking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.