hexagon for mesh clothing?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

okay I found hexagon which appears not to have been updated since 2008. has second life tab, was able to import the SL avatar, then what? all the links to official documents in daz website end in 404. leading me to believe they no longer support it even thought they give it away for free.

I found a few so called tuts on youtube, however its crappy music and a resolution so obnoxious I dont know what is going on. 

anyway, got a GOOD tutorial on how to bring the avi in and create clothes, please please share.

I tried blender but its do NOT user friendly or intuitive to use--so frustrating. I got the avi in and couldnt even delete the stupid skirt. I guess its a joke on me that they hide an obvious selection tool.

gods, surely there is an easy to use tool out there that doesnt cost 500 freakin dollars, has real documentation and hasnt disapeared like MOST of the suggestions in SLs own wiki.

sooooo frustrated. you can find more for that silly bug eyes avatar world than you can for sl. 

Nothing comes easy or free in this world , Blender is a wonderful tool you just need to invest time to learn to use it . Max is not to costly but its still around 500 dollars comparer to others that can be 3 times as much . Zbrush is nice interface but will cost you a lot as well . The fact is even systems that are essayer to use have high triangle count by default you have to learn more to get the triangle count low for SL with any of these programs or the next thing you have nice prims with super high prim counts due to triangle size for SL . Mesh is not for the people looking for a fast way to do it,you have a choice of learning blender (which is not bad at all once you understand it)  or investing a good amount of money . Last one .. arrrrgggg matte pirate software is out there too but you still have a fair amount of reading to learn to use any of them.

I'm a little surprised you're not finding Hexagon help at the DAZ3D site, but the basics of mesh clothing are the same as for the 3D modelling environment that DAZ3D sells for.

And that means that you need DAZ Studio to complete the process of combining mesh components and rigging. The rigged mesh clothing is effectively a new figure which, as clothing, copies the movements of the figure that wears it.

Now, I don't know enough to answer your quetions about the specific software, but I have made clothing for 3d figures. It isn't easy. If you can do it for an SL avatar, you can do it for other CGI figures, such as are used in Poser and DAZ Studio, and you can sell them through sites such as DAZ3D or Renderosity. Those sites tale a higher percentage than the SL Marketplace does, but you could earn far more for a sale.

There are differences, but the skills needed to make a working clothing item are the same, It's just that SL-compatible items are a lot less complicated. Here's something I made a few years ago:

Vague Harem  

I think that DAZ does still support and update Hexagon. Here's a link to their support page, which is in the process of being updated, and was last updated on 3/21/2012. 

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/start

If you install Hexagon 2.5, it does show a 2008 copyright in the Help screen, but if you get the properties of the app it has a 2009 copyright there, and the last modified date for the app itself is August 2011.

That said, so far I haven't found Hexagon to be a good tool for making Mesh, myself. I made some things that looked fine on screen in Hexagon, but none of them imported correctly to Second Life.

I think after reading everything everyone has had to say with regard to all my questions in several threads, that the best thing I can do for now is re-invest more time in blender.

the more intuitive tools are not affordable. and everyone that uses blender seems to stand by it whole heartedly.

so onward ho..... here I go!

thanks for all the advice everyone!

wrable Amat wrote:

Max is not to costly but its still around 500 dollars comparer to others that can be 3 times as much .

Wow I would like to know where autodesk sells max for 500 bucks..I recall paying a lot more:)

3ds max costs 3500 excluding VAT... worth every penny though if you ask me, but for the beginner Blender is probably the better option.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.