hair with option

Hermione Lefevre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to post this because this problem I had several times now.

I love buying hair :-)and many times i see Hair I like but it comes only with some accessoires like hat, bandana etc..that botheres me because it limits my use.

Why isnt there an option to wear the hair without the whatever??

Please creators..consider offering the hair plain :-)

Hermione

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

I want to post this because this problem I had several times now.

I love buying hair :-)and many times i see Hair I like but it comes only with some accessoires like hat, bandana etc..that botheres me because it limits my use.

Why isnt there an option to wear the hair without the whatever??

Please creators..consider offering the hair plain :-)

Hermione

Buy mod permission hair, then you can just set that piece to transparent (or remove it completely).  However, some styles don't necessarily work without the accessory but if the merchant doesn't sell what you want, don't buy it :)

Items are usually (not exclusively but usually) made "no modify" due to a mistaken belief that if it's modify, you'll be able to copy it.  Items can be copied regardless of permissions.

Other reasons include "I don't want my customers to waste my time if they break it and ask for a replacement"

or

"but then I can't sell lots of different colours because they'll be able to choose their own".

When I find a creator whose products I like that are modify, I will continue to give them repeat business.

There are a few valid reasons for no modify items but paranoia remains the top one as far as i'm concerned.

Sassy Romano wrote:

There are a few valid reasons for no modify items but paranoia remains the top one as far as i'm concerned. 

I wonder what they are.  One of the more exasperating things about SL is the use of the permissions system to make it impossible for people to modify their own property.  RL works just fine without such a restriction, so SL should, too. Creators in SL can do the same as RL manufacturers when someone breaks something trying to modify it and asks for a free replacement.  I understand that scripts need to be no-mod to prevent copying, but there is no reason a prim or clothing item ever needs to be.   

Just refusing to buy no-mod items is not a complete solution.  Sellers have been known to lie about permissions.  Also, it is such a chore to find things in SL that sometimes I give up and buy something that is not excatly what I want because it's so hard to find specific things.

I think the permissions system should be revised to make it fairer to consumers.  In SL, I can't give away old clothes or lend clothes to friends as I can in RL.  There should be no such thing as no-transfer.  The need that it is intended to meet is to allow things to be copiable without giving buyers the ability to makes and sell copies, or to make copies and sell the original.  That need could be met by a restriction that restricted transfer so that it could only be transferred if all copies were transferred at one time to the same person.  

Yes I sympathise with your comment about lying about permissions.  I've been laughed at and banned for daring to ask for an item modify, like it said in the advert.

One valid reason for a no modify object is a scripted item that should become unusable in the context of it's use.  Common in some role play genres where it's a limited use item and expected to die. 

Another example would be breedables.

Clothing, buildings, no. :)

Sassy Romano wrote:

One valid reason for a no modify object is a scripted item that should become unusable in the context of it's use.  Common in some role play genres where it's a limited use item and expected to die. 

Thanks for the explanation.  With respect to items that need to become unusable, perhaps the transaction system should accommodate renting as well as selling.  I'd visualize the item being automatically returned or deleted at the end of the rental period.  Then there would be no need to change its properties because its life needed to be limited.

I know little more about breedables than the name.

Creators make stuff no mod because:

- They copybotted the object and don't want people to inspect the item in detail

- They made the item from a kit and don't want people to inspect the original creator (rarely any mesh item right now is modify, why? Refer to this reason)

- They're greedy and wants people to buy separate colors individually

- They're paranoid noobs who think making stuff no mod will prevent people from copybotting their stuff

- They are imitator snobs who thinks limiting permissions for customers make them more "professional", just like Apple did with iOS

This doesn't apply to shapes and scripts because if mod then essentially these are full-perm.

Also why anyone would sell a no-mod shape is beyond me.

Suki Hirano wrote:

Creators make stuff no mod because:

- They made the item from a kit and don't want people to inspect the original creator (rarely any mesh item right now is modify, why? Refer to this reason)

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one, I *think* it's because they've heard that rigged mesh can't be modified in SIZE/SHAPE thus they believe it's effectively "no modify" and so set it no mod permission.

Of course it CAN be set as a modify item which allows scripts, linking and texture changes.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I think the permissions system should be revised to make it fairer to consumers.  In SL, I can't give away old clothes or lend clothes to friends as I can in RL.  There should be no such thing as no-transfer.  The need that it is intended to meet is to allow things to be copiable without giving buyers the ability to makes and sell copies, or to make copies and sell the original.  That need could be met by a restriction that restricted transfer so that it could only be transferred if all copies were transferred at one time to the same person.  

How is the permission system unfair to consumers now?  In RL, you can mod things and give them away, even rent them out, but can't make copies. If you modify something yourself and 'break' it then you have to buy a new one.  No company is going to give you a new item when you mess up one unless you pay extra for a warrenty that covers that.  Also, people that rent an item out,assume all risk of the renter not returning it or returning it in poor condition.  That is why you have to pay a deposit most of the time when you rent something, or be willing to give your credit card information to the person renting it to you so they can charge you for it if its not returned or returned in poor condition.

If you want the same options as RL, then buy mod/no copy/transfer. Even it the item is not set like that, many creators will cooperate with you and give you a no copy/transfer item if you ask prior to purchase. .  You will then have all the same options as you would in RL.  I will always do that myself if a customer asks before they buy a retail item, and always ask the customers preference when i do custom work.

There may be no hair shapes under the hat that is showable, just the ends of other bits. I have seen the hat used to reduce prim count. This helps for some people because they want to reduce loading time when they are at busy places.Some people beleive in low prim or low lag attachments for sim crossings.

I bet another maker makes one similar, there are so many hair styles that are the same. I know, the textures or placement is different. But, you may find somethign nice. Having a built in hat does help with attachment point use reduction though! So, both might come in handy?

Copy and mods perms getting you down? Then you need, Revolution! Revolution can install a new power structure that will reduce burdons of copyright, reduce population manipulation by laws. YOU can have a anarchy today, it only takes revolution...Revolution is a trade mark of Conglomerated World Anarchy and Pie Inc., purvaours of fine pie and anarchy products since 'forever':matte-motes-sarcasm:

I am not sur ethe property you buy iin SL is actualy yours IF it has copy on it.

The rules say, if you make it NO copy then you HAVE to make it trans.

I know, I know. Some people have complete objects that say no copy, no mods, no trans. If you look at the scipts and all that stuff you will see that you can pull some things out, not others and overall that objects perms are a combination of the perms.

Well, at least that is how it used to be. I really don't feel like checking the wiki again or logging in with and alt and sending stuff backa nd forth with my main av lol.

I remember reading it on the wiki. It said that you CAN'T make it no copy, no mod, no trans because if it is no copy it is essentially you can effectivly transfer it and not have a copy. So, no biggy. BUT, copy, no mods, no trans is basically a service, if you really want to look at it under a RL comparison.Having said that, you might have a point.

Q. Can UUID's be gotten from a no trans mesh item and then used within a script that changes/flips the 'prim' UUID? I mean, the prim that has the script in it is NOT the creator? If not, then you may have more of a point these days! Prims used to be able to be copied via llGetPrimitiveParams and all that stuff. If you can grab the UUID via script, then you see why! If you can get the UUID, and use it (I don't think you can BUT I really have not tried this. But, yeah....maybe I will test this out later with an alt! Interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.